How experienced would you consider yourself as a TacOps player?

How would you rate yourself as a TacOps player?

• I just started playing and I have no skill at all!

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I'm a beginner, but I know tactics

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'm slightly below average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an average player

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I'm slightly above average

• I'm an excellent player and tactician

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Very experienced and very tough!

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How experienced you would rate yourself as a TacOps player? We're trying to get an idea of how many and what quality the TacOps players here are. Please fell free to explain if need be.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I have had the game for some time I am still a beginner. I have not had much time to really get the hang of it yet. It is very unforgiving like ATF...Poke a tank out from behind cover...get zapped by ATGM! :eek:

Fun game though and PBEM :love: Will be glad to see Milsim on the ladder which we can play a real player. Would also like to see a DA ladder. I am really enjoying DA!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The new ladder will have ATF/BCT, DA, TacOps and POA2. These can be viewed as individual ladder, or they can be viewed collectively as as "Military Simulations" ladder. Neat.

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am a total newbie to the game, only having the demo to play at the moment, so I checked the first option :) The full game is (hopefully!) well on it's way to me now since I ordered it from Battlefront. I will look forward to being the cannon fodder for PBEM players who want to progress up the ladder :D

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I consider myself average to above average - I've played since v3, and have been instructed at RMC using TacOps ANZAC. I've also acted as umpire for various CPXs at the RMC, though not sure how good I was :D

Also gave a demo to Leeuwin Barracks on Tofflerian vs Fehrenbachian models of warfare using TacOps and liberal van Crewald quotes :D

I prefer the SASO/OOTW scens that we did at RMC over the Cold War, Superpower scns that mainly come with the game (not taking anything away from them, just not my cuppa)

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
TacOps is the first modern military simulation game that I have ever purchased and I have become quite proficient with the game, tactics are easy to employ thanks to the simple but powerful interface system.

Apart from POAII this is the modern wargame that I do best in out of all of them! :D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When playing wargames against humans, I am most successful in TacOps. The instant death and comparably low randomness are probably responsible for this.

I was also on winning CPX teams as commander or player, however, I obviously suck at anything else than just pure combat. I can usually beat down an opponent with attrition ratios very favourable to me or my team, but sneaky reconnaissance always turns into a slugfest with me, narrow exit victory conditions sometimes go bad etc.

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
CPangracs said:
I play the game for a living,...guess which one I chose?:D
Remind me to NEVER ask you for a PBEM game... :)

I ordered the game yesterday, guess wich one I chose ;)

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Playing against experienced opponents is the quickest way to learn. Why do you think they use "good" players as instructors? Who wants to learn from a bad player?

The same is true for other wargames as well. I often see beginners seek out other beginners to start out. Although this isn't really a bad thing, they can learn more from an experienced player.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
yeah, it was a bit frightening when we used TacOps ANZAC at RMC and the instructor barely knew how to move the units around...gave him a lesson in tactical withdrawals :D

Ofc, I still have bruises from the a$$ kicking he gave us on the practical side :D

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
Don Maddox said:
Playing against experienced opponents is the quickest way to learn. Why do you think they use "good" players as instructors? Who wants to learn from a bad player?

The same is true for other wargames as well. I often see beginners seek out other beginners to start out. Although this isn't really a bad thing, they can learn more from an experienced player.
Please note the smiley... :)

Anyway I still must first get the game by snailmail, and then I should probably try to beat up the ai first. Judging from the demo, even that wont be easy.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks like this poll is showing that we have some tough players here. Tougher than I would hav guessed, but that's a good thing! once we get the new ladder rolling and I get moved into my new home, we'll be placing some renewed emphasis on Tacops. We're doing a lot for DA and the ATF section is quite active as well. We're going to do some additional stuff to get the TacOps section moving. It's a very good system and I thing we'll get a lot of additional interest once people see all the activity.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think more gents from the TacOps mailing list are checking in here on an irregular basis but so far they have not posted much - though they may have participated in the poll. A few of those gents have been playing TacOps since the original 1994 Mac version and many since the 1996 first Windows version.

The TacOps mailing list remains an odd beast. The conversation is civil and most of its members seem to prefer a semi private email list over a web forum. Its been that way since the list started.