Horse-Drawn Motion status

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Although, as D12.1 says, "there is no MF cost for starting or stopping" for these units, can they be considered in Motion/Non-stopped when fired upon by Ordnance?

Or are they treated as Horses, which never get that status?

I've always played assuming they were able to be in Motion/Non-stopped, but the question arises because Horse-Drawn units expend MF (not MP), but Motion Status rule (D2.4) always talk about MP.

Thanks.

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
I had a similar question recently that I asked on the ASLML. The consensus answer seemed to be that yes, wagons can have motion status. This answer was based on E11.535 dealing with wagons in columns:

"Whenever a Column Disbands, all wagons therein go (or remain) in Motion. If this occurs during a friendly MPh, those wagons thus immediately end their MPh (11.531) in Motion."

Crystal clear? Well it wasn't and still isn't for me. If D12.1 says they don't expend start or stop MF, then why not leave wagons in perpetual motion. The only reason I can see to ever stop them is for unloading.

Jeff

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barber said:
I had a similar question recently that I asked on the ASLML. The consensus answer seemed to be that yes, wagons can have motion status. This answer was based on E11.535 dealing with wagons in columns:

"Whenever a Column Disbands, all wagons therein go (or remain) in Motion. If this occurs during a friendly MPh, those wagons thus immediately end their MPh (11.531) in Motion."

Crystal clear? Well it wasn't and still isn't for me...

Jeff
Wow, you're not kidding. Hmm, D4.2 refers specifically to MPs. Seems like the Column rules conflict.

PERRY!!

:lol:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The better question is whether wagons are vehicles for case J purposes or subject to FFNAM and FFMO for case J3 purposes. Case J only applies to vehicles or dashing infantry. Without a rulebook at my fingertips, the result is elusive.

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
By reading A4.6, I would not apply FFNAM/FFMO to wagons (FFNAM/FFMO only applies to Infantry).

The problem is, as Larry says, if case J applies to wagons (if they're really allowed to be in Motion as per Chapter E hint -thanks, Barber-) and if they receive the +2 DRM when attacked in CC in Motion.

Maybe that is the intention.

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
This wagon in motion thing has been bugging me for a while now. The conflicts (real or imagined) seem to justify clarification. I think it's time we ask the exalted one. I'm going to craft a question or two and send it to the Perry-meister.

Jeff

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barber said:
This wagon in motion thing has been bugging me for a while now. The conflicts (real or imagined) seem to justify clarification. I think it's time we ask the exalted one. I'm going to craft a question or two and send it to the Perry-meister.
You are the quintessential (sp?) ASL player. I bet you have already spent more time thinking about this issue than you have in moving wagons in games you have played :)

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
Brian W said:
I bet you have already spent more time thinking about this issue than you have in moving wagons in games you have played :)

Given I've used wagons once, in a solotaire game and they moved offboard after about three turns, you're absolutely right.

:shock:

So then, what are you trying to say: That I suffer from obsessive/compulsive disorder, that I need to get a life, that I'm a complete geek, all of the above.

In the future, I would kindly ask that you refrain from making my idiosynchrasies obvious to the rest of the world :wink:

Jeff

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barber said:
So then, what are you trying to say: That I suffer from obsessive/compulsive disorder, that I need to get a life, that I'm a complete geek, all of the above.
You're right. No reason to allege such traits here. If you play ASL, then they are all a given. :)

Pete

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
pryoung said:
Barber said:
You're right. No reason to allege such traits here. If you play ASL, then they are all a given. :)

Pete
Damn,I knew there was something wrong with me. :lol: