Hearts of Iron?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any one purchased and played Hearts of Iron yet? It just came out. It's definitely the game that I've been the most excited about for some time. I would love to hear some thoughts on it from a wargamer's perspective.

I personally am hoping that Santa gives it to me :D

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't know about that....

Hello,

I don't know about that, I decided not to buy that game instead I bought "Star Wars: Jedi Knight II Outcast" I always wanted to try out that lightsaber, couldn't understand why so many people rave over that stupid stick...hehe....

I got it at relatively cheap price, about 20 dollars off...a real bargain!

But I really want to try out "Platoon" or "Medieval War" (part of Total War series).

I am thinking hard on what to buy with my birthday money.....I figure I would end up buying a new DVD player for my TV combo...

Hehe, I love it when I am spoiled by my parents even though I'm in college....

Dan

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I will definitely buy ‘Hearts of Iron’, from what I’ve read it looks pretty good. Also ‘Medieval’ I will get over Christmas too.
I guess I will play these solitaire though.

Twoblade

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want this, but I don't know if it will be available locally.

I hear Warlords 4 is also round the corner...

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked for it today in the shop but apparently the initial US release was neither large nor widespread. :(

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about MOO 3?

Hello,

What about Masters of Orion 3? It's gonna be out soon, I don't know when, but what I do know is that it's gonna be one hell of a game! I am looking forward to getting it...

Dan

Rince

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
I have played Medieval: Total War only a couple of hours, but so far it is amazing! For all of you who like the epic battle scenes of Braveheart or Henry V this game is a must. The game is in fact 2 in 1. You have a large strategical part in it and of course you can also fight the battles in real-time, but you don't have to. Just let the computer do the battles, if you want to miss that part. I intended to play the strategical game, but I tried out the "real-time battles" first...and I got hooked.
To start with, the looks are just fabulous, like right out of a movie. The handling of your troops is really easy, right-click and you can choose formations which really work...
I played the demo first, and was disappointed. When my brother bought the game I gave it a second try and it is truly one of those games you can't put aside.

I have tried the 300Mb demo of Platoon and have to say I wouldn't even buy it for 20 $! Of course I have already made once the mistake to disregard buying a good game because of a bad demo-version.
These facts are for the demo-version:
- if your platoon advances and the first grunt gets blown up by a mine, do you think it is realistic the rest of them continue walking up the street like nothing happened?
- even more concerning, your engineer who is supposed to clear the mines is simply not willing to do his task, even a click-bombardment couldn't get him to move...what a pity, because just then the VC opened fire...the engineer must have watched too many Superman-movies.
- the control over your platoon is very limited, at least it is not intuitional as I would expect from a new tactical game.
Finally I have to add that the graphics are ok, not more, but the game lacks that djungle/ambush/LSD feeling I expected to find...
see ya
BTW: haven't tried out Hearts of Iron yet...if that was the question you asked.

SquadLeader

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi, bought HOI yesterday.

So far I have played as germany from 1936 to summer 1937.
What can I say, it's great. I focused my research on land warfare. I have taken possesion over Austria and that triggered a declaration of War from France. I had to shift all my efforts to the western front. It took the german Panzer divisions 5 days to run over Netherlands, Belgium and France.

The game focuses on: diplomacy, research, production, alliances, warfare ( land, water, air )
Some 200 nations.

Reading the forums about HOI, most player think HOIs AI is to easy to beat, but paradox has done a great job with patching and expanding EUII, so I think we will see a better AI for HOI in the future.

Take a look at http://www.europa-universalis.com/ if you want to read more about it.

/Lars

SquadLeader

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You are absolutely right. If you want a realistic game of WWII strategic warfare, this is not it. But having said that I must add that it is fun and with much detail and possiilities. It's a game.:)

/Lars

Twoblade

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most new and popular War themed games are not true to history. Like Battlefield 1942 for another example....

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
HoI and MOO3 are the only must-buy games on the list right now. I enjoyed EU, and a friend lent me EU2, which is pretty much the same; more like EU 1.5... But it got the addiction going again, right when HoI is about to come out. Gotta try that one.

I hope it doesn't cost $250 Canadian....

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I was going to buy HOI but if France and the Low Countries really be overrun in five days then I guess I'll save my money for something more realistic, like say 'Dungeon Siege', at least their not joking when they call it a Fantasy game!
As for 'Medieval" I will probably buy that this Christmas. I have 'Shogun' which isn't too bad but I reckon that a game set in Europe will be more interesting. I think it has a battle editor, which would be great as there are some medieval Irish battles I would not mind recreating.

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Until there is 1.02 patch I'm keeping it off my hard-drive. Far too many interface annoyances that have so far ruined the game for me.

Twoblade

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't seen it locally yet. It seems that there are mixed opinions about this game. So... is it worth getting it or not?