HASL - geoboards

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gosh, I didn't realize how formal things are in ASL-land.

First, it doesn't matter to me or probably most guys what you call some new ASL product. So, don't call it HASL. The idea wasn't to prepare a HASL here at all anyway. Call it a 'historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios' release.

Whatever works to advance our favorite hobby, little by little, seems nice. You can opt to not buy it, but I suspect you would anyway :)
Wait what...you didn't realize there was a ASLRB with formalized things like the ASOP takes priority over the rules, and you have to fire SMOKE before other fires, or rule reference B takes priority over rule reference A. Yes, there is a formality to the game on various levels, rules, "Core Modules," errata, TPP, and so on to what is deemed an ASL# scenario, vs. a HASL vs. a Historical Study.

I actually do believe it matters to "most guys" what you call a product. Some are not into HASLs...some more so...some in between. Likewise, to some it matters it says MMP and it doesn't say ZZZ.

As I said before you are free to call it anything you want BUT a "HASL." I am absolutely fine with your suggestion of 'historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios'. +1 I endorse this to the full... HMAGWAS...wHooomagwas...

Jackson has an even finer point in post #18...

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Well, from my reading of the rulebook that came in Squad Leader that stated Board 1 was an approximation of Stalingrad as the tractor works alone would take six geoboards! So, I've been waiting all this time for my factory geoboard! I believe most of the recent boards have been modeled on actual aerial photographs so they are HASL-like but fudging is needed in all map types to get it to fit the hex configurations. I see a bunch of poo-poo-ing here but sounds like a great idea to me! Particularly if they can stand alone or link together.

Maybe this has been discussed, but not as much as it could. HASL theme / standard size geoboards. A 'hybrid' board. Here's the idea:

The idea in is to prepare HASL/geoboards which have as their main terrain theme the location of a historical battle; a village, part of a city, or hill, etc, designed to be used in conjunction with the other non-historical geoboards. Because the majority of the historical battle (maybe 80% or so) was fought over specific terrain, the balance of the geoboard area would be used to replicate the ‘lay-up’ areas. Call it the 80-20 rule.

In fact, the recent AP14 board 12a - was based on a historical village in Normandy (St. Lambert Sur Dive). The road network was re-jiggered to allow it to mate with other geoboards.

There are other candidates for this treatment.

Normandy: St.Mere Eglise, Carantan, or Focarville, Hill 30, or Hill 112 are possibilities.

East front: the villages of Teploye, Cherkasskoye, State Farm 1, Hill 253.5 to name a few around Kursk.

There might be a need to abbreviate slightly the actual size of the historical area depicted in order to fit it properly on a geoboard, but the sacrifice would be worth the benefit of having some terrain that would represent the point of the action comparatively well.

Design/Development

Other possibilities are pretty wide open. I can think of several smaller battles that were confined to a location that would be pretty easy to represent ASL-wise. (other theaters: PTO, Korea, and certain smaller sub-battles at Market Garden, Falaise, Bulge, Remagen, Ruhr Pocket, Aachen, San Pietro) And we have now many current geoboards that would match up well in order to depict the historical battle in a much more historical way. These new boards could be grouped into a pack (ie. AP), or used solo in a Journal.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I surrender. I won't use the term HASL.

Let's find another name for it then. But more importantly, lets find a way to do some of these. I'll do the map design - who wants to do the scenarios? :)

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, from my reading of the rulebook that came in Squad Leader that stated Board 1 was an approximation of Stalingrad as the tractor works alone would take six geoboards! So, I've been waiting all this time for my factory geoboard! I believe most of the recent boards have been modeled on actual aerial photographs so they are HASL-like but fudging is needed in all map types to get it to fit the hex configurations. I see a bunch of poo-poo-ing here but sounds like a great idea to me! Particularly if they can stand alone or link together.
Well, I'm on board with a Factory geoboard. I've sketched out several. Again, just need some other guys to prepare the scenarios. How about it?

Some of the geoboards were modeled roughly on aerial photos - the Russian front theme ones and some of the Normandy themes. Perhaps others too. But I like the concept of making our boards link together more logically and more historically accurate. Double-wides go towards that idea.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not* repeat not* against his idea. Excellent idea. I am dead against the idea being called "HASL."

As the general rule and the polite thing to do after criticizing something.... is to offer solutions, I suggest something like HAGEO "HA-GEO," which gets at his 'historically-more-accurate-geoboard-with-associated scenarios'.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No surprise coming from me...but I would leave "H" "A" "S" and "L" in that order out of whatever this new thing is....and to try and preempt LBC from some of his clever (fun) snark..ditto A S L and H in that order.
Sorry, I've edited my post to indicate I was only kidding.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
If you have a factory I can make you a scenario!

Well, I'm on board with a Factory geoboard. I've sketched out several. Again, just need some other guys to prepare the scenarios. How about it?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The original HASL-like RB map only approximates the location of the commisar's house, chemist's and several others.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Purity of Essence must be preserved, even at the cost of the destruction of the game and the nation.
"Do you realize that fluoridation dilution of our HASLs is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?"