Gunflashes and Bounding Fire

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Night scenario. In the Movement Phase an AFV makes a Bounding Fire attack and is marked with a Bounding Fire counter. The AFV then continues to move. All enemy units are beyond the NVR applicable to the AFV.
What happens?
If the Bounding Fire counter remains on the AFV then can it be fired at in a location other than the one it initially fired from? Subsequently if another unit moves into the location that the AFV fired from, can it be fired at even though there is no Bounding Fire counter in the hex?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
NRBH and my night rule knowledge is rusty...but I think you'd you place a gunflash counter in the hex the AFV bounding fired from. The bounding fire counter stays with the AFV as it would in a daytime scenario as reminder that the AFV has fired. The AFV could only be fired on if it fires again or moves within the NVR for the scenario, or is illuminated, for any reason.

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK, so for the 'What-If' proposed above ...

When the AFV fires, a Bounding Fire counter is placed on the AFV and a Gunflash counter is placed in its Location.
Enemy units (all of which are outside NVR) could then fire at this Location before the AFV expends a further MP to move out of the Location (lots of DRM apply).
After it moves out of the Location that it fired from, the AFV is not subject to attack as it all enemy units are outside its NVR and it is not in a Location with a Gunflash - even though it is marked with a Bounding Fire counter.

That all makes sense to me - and unless anyone else thinks otherwise that will be how I propose to play.

However I struggle reach this understanding from the Gunflashes Rule (E1.8] and it is also confusing that the Bounding Fire counter has a Gunflash on it (I can get over that!)

So if I were to rewrite the rule I would say that: when a unit Bounding Fires, a Gunflash is placed in its Location; and remove 'Bounding' from the list of counters that a unit can fire at. I would also remove the Gunflash from the Bounding Fire counter. I've included the current wording of E1.8 below for ease of reference:

E1.8 Gunflashes: Gunflashes are not a form of Illumination. However, any unit that fires (regardless of its B#/X# DR, or Illumination, or NVR) reveals its Location (but not necessarily itself) to any unit with a LOS to it, regardless of NVR. This allows units to fire at a Location that contains a Prep/Bounding/First/Final/Intensive/No/Opportunity Fire or Melee counter as long as that counter remains in view, even if it is beyond the firer's NVR. This remains true even if any/all the units have in the meantime left the Gunflash Location and others have entered it. During night scenarios, First/Final Fire counters are left in the Locations where they were originally placed until the end of the AFPh. All types of Gunflashes not marked automatically by the proper fire counter can be marked by placement of a generic Gunflash counter.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can see your confusion (and mine) you'd have to remember which vehicles bounding fired if you left the bounding fire counter in place. Not so difficult in a small scenario. Fying Turrets at night may be a different story o_O