German archives - lots of WWII photos

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Typical Bundesarchiv/PK caption unfortunately; somewhere in Normandy is all I'm getting. 21 June 1944

Zusatz: Frankreich, Invasionsfront.- Infanterist (Offizier) mit Fernglas in Deckung hinter einer Hecke, mit Fernglas beobachtend; Eins Kp Lw zbV

The latter I think may be a hint to the general unit type - zbV means "employed for special purposes", Kp is abbreviation for Kompanie, I'd have to look up the entire abbreviation but I don't think it is specific to anything. A native German speaker can advise if I am wrong.
I figured Normandy despite the Beretta SMGs. I ask because most German units armed with Berettas were either found in Italy/Yugoslavia :surprise: or were Waffen SS units. I can read German all day but remember almost nothing about the translation. :shy:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I figured Normandy despite the Beretta SMGs. I ask because most German units armed with Berettas were either found in Italy/Yugoslavia :surprise: or were Waffen SS units. I can read German all day but remember almost nothing about the translation. :shy:
Thanks for the ID by the way - needed it for a photo caption for a book. :)

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The more I look, the more it appears to be smoke grenade/s and I'm stickin' with it. :laugh:

Is that guy CE or is he Ghost Riding? :laugh:
Actually this was an AFV CC training, using smoke to blind the crew.