FrF86 Belgian Tigers

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Holt and I have been playing through the latest Friendly Fire pack as time allows. We finished up Belgian Tigers before Christmas with myself playing the Belgian defenders.
Things stared off well enough with the Belgians beating back the German crossing of the bridge and a weak probe on the right flank without having to reveal the location of the MMG's. Germans prepared to swim that canal and that took 1 turn less than I had believed (read the rules more thoroughly!).
Belgian Tigers AAR Belgian 1.jpg
As the Germans push up Belgians are broken and have to fall back and rally. Now there is a lot of pressure on the left flank and I push the tanks in to support and prepare to move the rallied forces back up to shore up the defense. The AA gun is still HIP waiting on a juicy target.
Belgian Tigers AAR Belgian 3.jpg
Then, I make a critical mistake. In order to reinforce the left flank, I need to move a stack. I need the leader MP to go around behind houses and avoid the MMG and LMG shots in order to setup an advance into the houses with the MMG. I missed a long range shot from a squad that gave them a 2 down 2 opportunity and the roll is a 6 forcing a 1MC. The leader and both squads break (weak ass Belgian troops!) leaving my flank exposed.
Belgian Tigers AAR German 5.jpg
From there it is downhill fast. The Germans attacked on the right where my AA gun reveals and breaks 2 squads but is overwhelmed. My reinforcements have to come in to support the right now and there is little on the left. I try several bold attacks to take back victory buildings but the brave Belgian cardboard is mowed down in the effort.
Belgian Tigers AAR end.jpg
This is a fun scenario. I think the Belgians are at a disadvantage because of shear numbers but I little more skill on my part and I think it could have come down to the last turn and gone either way.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

The AA gun cannot setup in a building as it is not a small target, the orchards in front of the building is the most likely choice.

Also, the canal is a water obstacle, which is not enterable by men or vehicles. Its the bridge that the Germans must cross in this scenario.

Rich

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though you did say the Germans swam the canal (allowed), they still have to take a TC to do so and are represented by unarmed counters (i.e. POW counters). I don't see any unarmed counters on the German side and it would be quite a stroke of fortune to have all the Germans pass their TC, swim the canal & then be rearmed by other units on the far bank in any rapid fashion. Of course i don't know the timing of the first pic or if any of those units had swum the canal so your note to yourself is well advised. As Rich pointed out, only small target type Guns or AT/INF Guns that are not large target types may be placed in buildings/rubble [EXC: By SSR, usually in Factories]. Also, as Rich noted, A nice AAR. (Never played a perfect game rules wise yet & I've been at it for about 30 years).

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why can the units not swim the canal using E6.x rules? If the units were forced across the bridge it would certainly make it more manageable on the Belgians only dealing with the smoke of the engineers. I do see in E6.4 now that the swimmers are 'unarmed units'. Would this mean that they could swim but would be unarmed (even their inherent FP) if they safely reach the other side?
Thanks on the HIP gun. I should start posting these more, I always learn things that we played incorrectly. I see now in C2.7 where it would have been prevented. Placing it in the orchard would not have made significant difference to the outcome but the swimming would have changed it entirely.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys, good info. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I seem to be able to accomplish little with vehicles other than get them shot up.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why can the units not swim the canal using E6.x rules? If the units were forced across the bridge it would certainly make it more manageable on the Belgians only dealing with the smoke of the engineers. I do see in E6.4 now that the swimmers are 'unarmed units'. Would this mean that they could swim but would be unarmed (even their inherent FP) if they safely reach the other side?
Thanks on the HIP gun. I should start posting these more, I always learn things that we played incorrectly. I see now in C2.7 where it would have been prevented. Placing it in the orchard would not have made significant difference to the outcome but the swimming would have changed it entirely.
They can swim (possibly, pending a successful TC), but seeing no unarmed units on the German side was a shocker. Oh, and yes they can't even take their IFP small arms [EXC: with a raft (E6.4)].

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Despite reading E6.x about three times before the scenario, I didn't grasp the fact that they'd be totally unarmed upon exiting the canal. I did get the part that they could not take SW with them. Oh well. This one will need to be replayed...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite reading E6.x about three times before the scenario, I didn't grasp the fact that they'd be totally unarmed upon exiting the canal. I did get the part that they could not take SW with them. Oh well. This one will need to be replayed...
Geeze! Read a rule and didn't see the obvious right there in front of me? :captainobvious:Glad that's never happened to me! (YAH, RIGHT!):confused::oops::D