Expanding horizons

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gents! I need more games!

Aside from Rising Sun (which I've never played) I know nothing about this series, and I'd like to look into them.

What are people's thoughts on them? Which are the best? Can I buy them all in a large compilation CD? Do any of you have copies for sale or trade? I'd value some impressions and opinions!

ALSO! is there anything along the lines of a campaign, be it PG style (finish this map, go to that map) or EA (conflict start to finish) that can be played against a PO? How is the computer in these games, can it provide a challenge? Are there scenarios available for DL ala TOAW?

Help the noobie get indoctrinated!

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
As a fellow newbie, and one who bought all these games recently, I might be able to help a little.

There are campaigns to this series, but basically the scale is far too small for such a thing as EA. 250k per hex I think at 6 minutes per turn. There are two types of campaigns. Historical and dynamic. I've never played a dynamic campaign, but it seems to be randomly generated scenarios with no real history to them. The historical campaigns are what you would expect...a la Panzer General, with a branching campaign depending on how well you do. If you buy World at War, which is a compilation of EF II, WF and Rising Sun (including all add ons which came out through the years), you'll get a bazillion scenarios with each game.

They range from really small with 15 units per side on a 20x20 map to 1000+ units per side on a huge map.

I'm just a newbie and the AI can stomp me pretty good in certain situations...especially confined defensive scenarios where there is little room to maneuver and easily held choke points. On attack and fluid defense, it is typical wargame AI. Do something odd and it has problems.

All games in the campaign series are basically the same. Rising Sun, West Front, EF II and Divided Ground (I own the last, but haven't played it yet. It can only be bought separately and covers all the middle east conflicts.)

The play is fun. I've played through a good deal of the 101st campaign for West Front and found it fun. If you were/are a panzer general or PGII fan, then pick it up. Compared to TOAW it's combat-lite. Although I do like the way it tallies what are called Strength Points as a point system.

If you have specific questions, email me...

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
""250k per hex ""

250 metres actually.

I'm a diehard CS player/ designer.

Feel free to email or post any specific questions

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis,
There are two compilations "Europe Aflame" East Front II + West front including many of the battle pack scenarios for those games. And "World at War" as above but also including "Rising Sun" and all disks are the Gold editions. There may be one East Front II battle pack absent but everything else seems to be there.
Buy at full retail !!! here
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/take2store/worldatwar-pc.html

Honestly all these games are getting hard to find I would snag any I saw in a bargain bin. But consider the above to be a deal even though I got mine in a bargain bin months ago for $20.00

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi, does anybody know where in the UK i can get this compilation?

cheers

SE

PS, anybody want an EFII, mail one in.

:D

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Scorched, try Strategic Plus - I haven't goy the URL handy, but a search with those terms will unearth them.
I was very impressed - game arrived within 48 hours.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scorched
Hope you find it we can use more scenarios to play!! Though I think I know now how to convert factory to user scenarios that will load just a bit of trouble though.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mantis, to answer some of your other questions, there are numerous scenarios availalable for download - the best site is wargamer.com, but we have quite a few at the Front Line.

As regards massive scenarios one of the best is Hells Highway, the entire Market Garden operation at squad level! The Allied turn takes several (=/- 9) hours to play. If you fancy a game e-mail me at r.nettleton@blueyonder.co.uk I have all the games, it will make a change from being pasted at ACOW!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies! I'm convinced, and am going to scoop up the WaW compilation when I get the chance! I was an avid fan of Panzer General when it came out (hell, I own every single one of the 'General' games), so this sounds like some good distraction from TOAW!

I'm sure I'll be posting about a bazillion and one questions when I finally get the software, so I'll wait til then to get on everyone's nerves by asking 'How do I do this again?'..

:D