Everyone helps to build the FAQ :)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Units that are allowed to reconstitute will reappear when they have enough equipment in the replacement pool to fill 66% of the first equipment slot for the unit in question. If you have a unit that will not come back becuase you are slightly short on the equipment in question, and it is not being produced for the rest of the game, it is possible to do the math, and disband a unit or two with the equipment type in question (all equipment returns to the pool) and have all the units come back. Dont err in your calculations, however, or you can end up throwing a good unit after a bad...

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(Forgive me if some of these are painfully obvious, but they should all be in there!)

Retreated units with enough movement left to make an attack against an enemy unit can setup the attack, and then cancel it. They are now in mobile deployment again, and are thus able to dig in. This procedure generally favours player two (as his turn often comes to him with many units retreated due to player one's attacks), but on occassion player one will be able to make use of this tactic as well. (Disengagement attacks, etc).

Units that are in reorganization (orange bar across them) due to housekeeping, etc, can sometimes still be in mobile deployment. They can dig in, although they can't move. Other times, you won't be able to do even this much.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Loss penalty is calculated by a comparison of anti-personnel strength (unmodified) of all equipment at the time of the check, to the original a-p strength at the moment the scenario began. All units in the scenario, including those that never enter the game, and those that are withdrawn, are included in the calculations.

Scenario designers must keep this in mind, as often a side will start with a 'cadre' system, and their forces will grow exponentially larger during the course of the game. In situations like these, it is very difficult indeed for that side to ever suffer lasting loss penalties.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Units with very high proficiencies are more likely to eat up extra combat rounds, as they will not break off combat as easily, but continue to attack.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(I'm writing these in post by post because my kids are distracting me, and I have to jump up alot. I'm NOT taking the chance on the whole thing getting lost; I'd never redo the work! :D )

If you have a land unit in an airfield, and attack an adjacent enemy unit with it, and you also have air units in the airfield hex set to combat support, the air will all evaporate.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Water hexes have hidden ownership that can not be displayed in the game. This can adversely affect sea transport during cease fires. As an example - if player one was the UK, and player two was Germany, on the turn prior to a cease fire, the German player could take a ship (or embarked unit) and do a complete circle of the UK. His turn ends, the system does housekeeping, initiating the cease fire. Player one (the UK) starts his turn, and finds he is unable to transport units across the ocean hexes that the German just crossed.

Normally, the hex 'ownership' will simply change automatically when you move through it, but hex ownership cannot change during a cease fire. This will also effect air units that have to cross said ocean hexes to redeploy.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
HQ units provide a supply bonus to cooperative units adjacent to it. If the HQ has support squads in it, the loss of these squads will reduce the formation supply efficiency of it's own formation, provided it is the only HQ for that foramtion. If an HQ is retreated, routed, etc, it can cause the entire formation to go into reorganization with it.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A unit with 100% supply will have it's full movement allowance available to it. At 1% supply, it will have half it's movement allowance available.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Always check the individual equipment types that compose your units. For example, an arty unit with a range of two might have 1 piece of 122mm gun with a range of two, but have 49 pieces of 76mm guns with a range of one hex. So every time you use this unit at a distance of two hexes, only 2% of the unit is actually contributing to the combat! This is especially telling in fleets, where the two range is generally the single battleship, and everything else (the destroyers, cruisers, etc, which are considerably more numerous) will not participate in a 2 range combat.

The effects on air are devastating in 'mixed' equipment type air units. As an exmaple, in 1940 a WWII F/B unit is composed of 30/30 Battle (range 27 hexes), 32/32 Defiant (range 13 hexes), and 0/24 Tempest (range 41 hexes). The Tempest aircraft will not be produced until 1944, many turns from now. But back in 1940, the air unit counter still lists a combat range of 41 hexes. If this unit was involved in a combat at a range of 28 hexes and beyond, it would instantly evaporate, as it would have no equipment that could particiapte in the combat. I have seen close to a dozen aircraft untis evaporate in a single turn when caught in this 'kill zone', so watch carefully, and plan accordingly!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Air interdiction % is related to the amount of friendly controlled hexes on the map. If you have very few hexes controlled, enemy interdiction percentages will be higher. If you own most of the map, enemy interdiction percentages will be lessened. (More area to cover).

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Support is decided on a 'best case' scenario. If the defenders in a hex have free support, then all friendly arty in range (and in the proper deployment, LR, TR, D/E/F), will support the combat even if their formation is set to internal support.

When moving a unit, and a disengagement attack occurs, it is subject to bombardment from all enemy arty in range (if in proper deployment as above), regardless of cooperation.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok, I know there's about a million more of these that I haven't thought about yet, but that's a good start!

Ryan_ Murphy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis,

That is one hell of a start. Reminds me of reading the "battle tricks" section from War as I knew it. :D

Excellent.

Ryan_ Murphy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ER_Chaser said:
Anyway... so here is the addition, I name the file as "draft" ... some 20 more FAQs..
E R Chaser,

And this is excellent as well too. There are some things in there that I haven't even thought about, so this is turning out nicely.

I use "Word 2000." If I may be of assistance with any of the typing, let me know. I know, never volunteer for anything, but this is the exception. :)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ryan_ Murphy said:
Mantis,

That is one hell of a start. Reminds me of reading the "battle tricks" section from War as I knew it. :D

Excellent.
Thanks.

Ya, I kinda got sidetracked, and only worked on stuff that relates to tips, instead of 'FAQs' in general. We can always have it in two sections, with a general tips section at the end, or something.

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
Water hexes have hidden ownership that can not be displayed in the game. This can adversely affect sea transport during cease fires. As an example - if player one was the UK, and player two was Germany, on the turn prior to a cease fire, the German player could take a ship (or embarked unit) and do a complete circle of the UK. His turn ends, the system does housekeeping, initiating the cease fire. Player one (the UK) starts his turn, and finds he is unable to transport units across the ocean hexes that the German just crossed.

Normally, the hex 'ownership' will simply change automatically when you move through it, but hex ownership cannot change during a cease fire. This will also effect air units that have to cross said ocean hexes to redeploy.
Oooh never knew this. Sounds pretty gamey though.

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
The effects on air are devastating in 'mixed' equipment type air units. As an exmaple, in 1940 a WWII F/B unit is composed of 30/30 Battle (range 27 hexes), 32/32 Defiant (range 13 hexes), and 0/24 Tempest (range 41 hexes). The Tempest aircraft will not be produced until 1944, many turns from now. But back in 1940, the air unit counter still lists a combat range of 41 hexes. If this unit was involved in a combat at a range of 28 hexes and beyond, it would instantly evaporate, as it would have no equipment that could particiapte in the combat. I have seen close to a dozen aircraft untis evaporate in a single turn when caught in this 'kill zone', so watch carefully, and plan accordingly!
:cry:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MikeJ said:
Oooh never knew this. Sounds pretty gamey though.
Ya, it's horrible. I don't use it, but I'm always sure to mention this in a huge game of EA, for instance, to ensure the tactic is outlawed.

06 Maestro

Reaction score
Supply Situations

Just a few more supply questions.
1. If a HQ unit moves does it still provide partial supply or none?
2. Is there a supply bonus if units are "fortified" with the HQ?
3. How do you determine if an HQ is close enough to provide supply; is there any sense in kepping a HQ within 2-5 hexs of subordinate units if that means moving every turn? I know that there are standard supply ranges for the different HQ levels, but the rules also state "not too far".