Europe 1944 AAR: FabGov vs Lizard

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am playtesting my new scenario 'Europe1994' with 'Lizard' (who's playing the Allies). Kurt is an experienced player/tester so this is going to be an interesting game. I will report every few turns and post a few screen captures. Kurt and I are discussing the details of the
scenario design as we play, so the AAR will hopefully provide a good 'behind the scenes' look at how some of the new features of TOAWIII have been implemented. Please feel free to chime in!

TURN 1

Turn one opens with Allies offensives on all three fronts: Normandy, Italy and Bielorussia, the so called 'Operation Bagration'. That is the fornt that gets me worried as the Whermacht risks most of its losses there through encirclements. I plan an orderly retreat.
However, the scenario constraints me somewhat as AGN and Narwa activate only a few turns later, close to historical.

In Normandy the Allies liberate Cherbourg and Le Havre. I try to counterattack with infantry, artillery and a couple of tank battallions from 7th Army, while the Panzer Divisions are waiting to be released (the scenario follows the historical schedule). I quickly realize that the
Allies' Air Superiority is just overwhelming in good weather. I lose a lot of planes on Air Superiority and gain no ground. Basically every hex the Allies gain close the coast it will be almost impossible to retake. I better dig, be patient and wait for the strong 2ns SS Panzer
Korps units to arrive at the front. The Axis has a unit of anti-ship planes in Normandy. I use it to hit one of the naval units... but it gets shot down in flames. When it reconstitutes I will keep it in the wings and wait for a better opportunity.

In Poland I feel the Red Army was a bit cautious with its opening moves. In testing the German divisions get usually obliterated, but at a high cost in Soviet casualties. This time I am able to pull out most of the Corps, using the parent HQs to disengage and leaving
behind some low proficiency Luftwaffe divisions to hold the lines. I lose almost no tanks.

My goal is to assemble a strong Panzer force in the next few turns while the infrantry makes an 'orderly' retreat away from the 'Balcony' and back to the Dvina. Grosseduescthland will arrive a on turn 3 and I entrain the Hermann Goering Panzer Division from the Italian front and send it to Warsaw. (it's all mountains anyway in Italy anyway). Hopefully I will get an opportunity to hit at the Red Army Tank Corps as their supply lines get extended. The Axis has a lot of units in France and Rumania that are (as historically) waiting for the 'real'
offensives to happen. They get released a month or two later. In Italy I lose Ancona to a well prepared attack from UKs troops.

Learned trick: Lizard, who is on the offensive, digs his units with remaining movement points at the end of every turn, whichis a good idea with TOAWIII. That makes my counterattacks harder. I quickly adopt the same strategy.

Decoy Units: Lizard asks me what to do with them: these are a handful of Corp sized units Historically the decoys were part of Operation a deception plan to convince OKW that Patton was preparing to land in Calais. Those units only existed on paper. The bummer is that even
with the Axis at very low recon value of 5% I can still see that the decoys combat values are negligible. It seems their best use is to keep them still near Dover (not moving units are much harder to identify) and then use them to flip hexagons in Southern France after the Allies
breakout. Also I will mention them in the doc file, for clarity. I assume that reading the scenario briefing is the equivalent to have good intelligence on the ground, so.

Last edited:

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4 Europe 1944 AAR: FabGov vs Lizard

TURNS 3 and 4

The Allies went on a bridge blowing campaign, which makes my movement and resupply difficult. I am putting the Rail Repair and Bridge units to work, but basically a competent Allies player will make it hard for the Axis to move units around. II SS Panzer Korps is starting to assemble in Normandy. I think Lizard missed a good opportunity to break out of Normandy ahead of schedule *but* he is a methodical player and he knows what he is doing. He is making good progress in cleaning up the ports in Britanny using elite commando and paratroop units, so I expect he will try to push into France from there. I am planning to withdraw some tired Panzer units from the Normandy coast and used them in the open countryside (see image). Lizard is using the decoy units in Britanny, which might have worked for a non careful player, still it is sometimes hard to tell the decoys from the real 3rd US Army units, so I need to keep an eye on them. In Bielorussia I managed to keep most of 9th and 3rd Pz Armies out of arm's way and AGN is withdrawing to Latvia Hopefully it will be able to avoid being pocketed as historically happened.

So far my tank losses have been modest, a lot of Sturmgeschutzes and just a few heavy tanks. Infantry losses are much worse, equivalent to 8 weeks of replacements, but that was to be expected. But now that the 'balcony' in Bielorussia has been almost evacuated and I sarted to have reserves in the rear I feel lees terrified. The German HQs have been invaluable in disengaging units. The Red Army is building supplies in the South and an entire Tank Army has disappeared ummm... the front is fluid but under control there..for now.

I have started to station some of my Air Units in Germany and move them to the front only in groups of at least three and only for specific Air Superiority actions. They have a hard time surviving prolonged action otherwise. This way the number of fighter planes has started
creeping up, will see.

Here are the losses so far for some representative German equipment:

TOAW Turn (squads: assigned/lost)

Heavy Rifle Squads AT --- Panthers+MarkIV --- Me109+FW190
Turn 1 56700/1340 --- 3660/9 --- 1300/70
Turn 2 54300/4072 --- 3760/10 --- 1260/250
Turn 4 53359/6140 --- 4325/38 --- 1450/310

Design note: I used a small Shock bonus for the Allies (5%) in the initial turns, this was mostly to decrease the chances of an abrupt end of turn for the Allies player. I am considering setting a limit to the maximum number of combat rounds per battle (4?), which
can be set in the scenario editor.

Last edited:

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
Re: Turn 4 Europe 1944 AAR: FabGov vs Lizard

Nice to see this scenario updated i realy liked the original so im looking forward to having a go keep it up.

Ian

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 7 August 3rd 1944. FabGov vs Lizard

As the Axis player I am learning that my job is to worry.... The Italian front: All is quiet there, but it is early August and another amphibious operation is likely so I keep an eye on the coast of France and Jugoslavia. Normandy: Lizard is pushing out of Britanny, but his front is very extended and he has not made much progress from Normandy where the supply sources are located. German infantry on the West front is weak, but 15th Army has finally been released and the two SS Panzer Korps are still strong, I pulled them out of the front line for some refitting. They will be ready for Patton when he tries to break out and the Allies supply lines will get longer.

View attachment 34297

Poland: the Red Army is finishing chewing up a few German divisions that have been left behind. I left a small garrison in Courland. The rest of the infantry is busy digging.
Even if the front in Finland has been pretty quiet the Axis withdrawal from the Baltic countries did not make the Finns happy (this is modelled by a trigger event) and they will withdraw soon, as historically happened.

Scenario notes: Operation Dragoon is a TO option that becomes available to the Allies in August. It gives a substantial sealift for one turn. However, it diverts resources from the Italian fron permanently. This is achieved by withdrawing the 5th US Army HQ and replacing it with another one with substantially less support squads. As a result the supply rate for the whole formation is cut. Neat eh?

On the Eastern Front the fomation stationed in Rumania have been released, both for
the Axis and the Red Army. To simulate the fact that the Red Army did not have the logistics to go on the Offensive on the entire front, the HQs for the Ukranian fronts start the scenario short of supply squads, so the supply rate for their formations was rather low. Until now that is. I expect trouble anytime there. But as I said, my job is to worry.

TOAW Turn (Axis squads: assigned/lost)

Heavy Rifle Squads AT --- Panthers+MarkIV --- Me109+FW190
Turn 1 56700/1340 --- 3660/9 --- 1300/70
Turn 2 54300/4072 --- 3760/10 --- 1260/250
Turn 4 53359/6140 --- 4325/38 --- 1450/310
Turn 7 51560/9060 --- 4420/240 --- 1820/480

Last edited:

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 9: Breaking Bad from Normandy

Turn 9 Infantry squads Panthers+MKIV FWs+Me109

active/losses
52219/11456 4530/370 1900/680

Turn 9 has the Allies getting more aggressive, some French units have been transferred from Italy to the Northern ports, but I am still waiting for the second big amphibious landing. The US armies are making progress in Normandy and a mixed stack of units barely escaped from a pocket in Le Mans that had been sealed with some paratroopers.

My units have escaped if in rather bad shape, pursued by patton 3rd Army that has finally shown up. I am retreating towards Germany and trying to keep my Panzer Korps intact. The US 1st army units are turning a nice shade of yellow, showing that their supply lines are being stretched.

On the Eastern front here have been several probing attacks all over the front, that Panzer reserves have stopped. All quiet in Italy, while Lizard moved a lot of air units North, to the UK airfields.

Scenario note: Lizard DID land ..a brilliant landing in Hamburg. We decided that was 'too gamey' and replayed the turn. The Allies never even planned a landing in mainland Germany, it was most probably not feasible being too far from UK ports and too close to the German strategic air defence airfields. Hamburg will be more protected in the
revised scenario. As a Honour rule there should be no landings in mainland Germany.

Last edited:

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 11

Lots of action this turn as Lizard landed in Southern France (operation Dragoon TO). But he did not occupy Marseille, which has a supply point. I am withdrawing East, if not as orderly as I would like... He started an offensive in Bielorussia. My tanks losses spiked up as several panzer divisions set as tactical reserve engaged the Russian hordes. Lizard used the 'Market Garden' TO unconventionally, with extended Soviet airdrops in Poland to disrupt my supply lines. to I sent a few mobile units to chase them down, although I suspect it was a diversion to divert some of my troops from the frontline. Paratroopers are fragile and got badly mauled. I counterattacked in a couple of exes to keep my front lines straight, which worked, but the turn ended abruptly (my bad planning!), which left some of my units exposed.

I am starting to set a few 'Festungs' on the North coast of France (some cities have low efficiency supply points (10-20%), which allow units to survive for extended periods of time, even if they do not provide enough resources for any serious attacks. In TOAW 3.4 one can
set the value of any supply point in the editor, which I think is a great feature.

I have started editing version 6.0 of the scenario...

Axis Losses:
Turn 7 51560/9060 4420/240 1820/480
Turn 8 52517/9802 4585/250 1780/550
Turn 9 52219/11456 4530/370 1900/680
Turn 11 51110/14000 4590/660 1890/850

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 18

(October 44)

WEST FRONT: the Axis has completed an orderly withdrawal to the
Sigfried wall. I have suffered large infantry casualties, as I used
some of the units as screens for the main force. The Panzer divisions
(especially the elite SS) have survived largely intact. However, I
have lost Antwerp to a large coordinated assault by the Canadian
forces. (historical note: Antwerp was liberated in xxx). This is a
major blow for the Axis, as the Allies will be able to boost their
supply rate pretty soon. A series of events will increase the supply
rate of the supply point in Antwerp and the Allies railway network is
being steadily repaired. 3rd US and 1st US Army have mounted strong
assaults to the Siegfrid wall, but I have been able to use 1st and 2nd
SS Pz Korps as fire brigades. I am learning that keeping strong
reserves is crucial with a skilled opponent! However, counterattacks
are expensive, and only work if I am able to coordinate them with at
least some amount of air coverage. In the previous turns I have been
tempted several times to counterattack in the open the armored
spearheads of 3rd US Army, but I opted not to do so. Now there is not
much space left to withdraw.

The weather is getting worse, which will help the Axis immensely, by
decreasing the Allies recon, supply and Air force values. Honestly, I
can't wait. Basically in the West the game has followed pretty
closely the historical timetable, with possibly less losses for the
Axis. If I can hold the Wall for another few weeks I should be safe
till the end of the year.

EASTERN FRONT: In Poland have been able to withdraw safely to
fortified positions and my infantry is pretty well dug in, with
several Heavy Tank Battalions as Tactical reserve. In Poland Warsaw
is still solidly in my hands and Lizard is a bit beyond schedule. I
have used the elite panzer divisions as a mobile reserve to attack the
Red Army Tank Corps during a few breakthroughs. The infantry is
getting tired though.

Lizard has carried a fairly heavy air campaign and keeps blowing my
bridges, slowing troops movement substantially. This is a bit
unhistorical (the Red Army never attempted deep bombing raids), but I
am not complaining too much, as limiting bridge blowing can only be
enforced with a house rule (and by stationing units on important
hexes!).

In Romania Ploesti has fallen. This will reduce the Axis supply
rate. Moreover Romania has turned to the Allies! I am having a hard
time extricating a few German Korps. The Axis is not very mobile at
this point in the war and infantry units move slowly. More worringly
Lizard has moved two entire Red Army Fronts from Poland. That is a lot
of troops! This makes good use of the large railway capability of the
Allies. Coupled with the Axis low recon value I am not totally sure
where these fronts are now... although I noticed that the rail network
is being rapidly repaired south of the Pripet Marshes and have spotted
some new Soviet units in Romania. I think he is ready to attack from
the South, still that is a long distance from the vital objectives of
Berlin and Breslau. Overall Red Army activity has steadily increased
in the past few turns and my Panzer reserves have all been
committed. No major brekathroughs so far, but it is getting hard to
contain Ivan and the number of Axis panzers has started decreasing.

I think that a more aggressive Red Army offensive in early Summer
would have been hard to stop and would have bled white the Axis and
its allies. While the Red Army can sustain a high infantry loss rate
the Axis cannot (NOTE: in v6.0 I reduced the number of tanks available
to the Axis at the start of the scenario by 10%).

ITALY: the front has not changed much since September, but I have
finally decided to withdraw to the Rimini-Genova fortified line, where
I hope to be able to stop for the Winter. I have fortified the Alps
passes into France…but I should worry about them passes...

Heavy Rifle Squads AT Panthers+MarkIV Me109+FW190
Axis Losses:
Turn 7 51560/9060 4420/240 1820/480
Turn 8 52517/9802 4585/250 1780/550
Turn 9 52219/11456 4530/370 1900/680
Turn 11 51110/14000 4590/660 1890/850
Turn 12 51120/15709 4670/830 2080/940
Turn 13 51100/17100 4800/890 1830/1170

turn 18 48726/24656 4670/1460 1800/1800

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Re: Turn 18

I think you 're doing a fine job, against an experienced opponent. Any thoughts on a winter offensive in the west (ala Ardennes '44)?

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Turn 18

Thanks Olorin, I try! Although being the scenario designer helps compensate Lizard's mad TOAW skills....
I have been tinkering with a surprise counteroffensive and the scenario has indeed a couple of offensive TOs for the Axis player to activate later in the game. They represent the Ardennes and the Hungary offensives..neither of them was a brilliant success though! So far Lizard played a very careful game and his Air Superiority was just too much for me to attack his armored spearheads in France. Will see when the clouds come...

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Race to Budapest. Turn 23

Just a quick snapshot for late November 1944. The Red Army shifted two fronts to the South and is heading N towards Budapest. The Allies are beseiging the Siegfried Line, but so far I have been able to use the SS Panzer Korps for counterattacks and plug the holes as soon as they form. Will see how long I can last. Pressure has been mounting since Antwerp has been liberated and has started producing supply. But Winter will force the Allies to slow down a bit soon...

Last edited:

governato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 28. Christmas at the front.

Winter has slowed down the Allies, that are making some progress in Hungary, but suffering strong counterattacks from my Panzer divisions, that take advantage of the flat country.
I did use the "Ardennes Offensive" TO to make only limited counterattacks and build some deep reserves. View attachment 35644. I am also transferring from Poland, where I have space to give, to the West. Italy has seen only marginal gains for the Allies, but they have crossed the French Alps in force. On an ominous note it seems that the Red Army has activated its 'Winter Offensive TO' and it is piling up some heavy artillery in Poland. I have only a few more turns left before the weather improves and that will spell big trouble for the Reich.