Eating Liver

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
When you think about organ meat it's strange that so many people, at least in the U.S., don't like it. I'm not an anthropologist but organs were most likely among the first animal proteins our distant ancestors ate until the advent of fire and cooking. The muscle meat being very hard to eat raw.

I saw footage of chimpanzees chasing a monkey, killing and eating it. The organ meat going first and then a long time trying to eat the muscle meat.

Anyway just some thoughts on liver and oran meat in general. Something to chew on. 😋😉🤣

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
When you think about organ meat it's strange that so many people, at least in the U.S., don't like it. I'm not an anthropologist but organs were most likely among the first animal proteins our distant ancestors ate until the advent of fire and cooking. The muscle meat being very hard to eat raw.

I saw footage of chimpanzees chasing a monkey, killing and eating it. The organ meat going first and then a long time trying to eat the muscle meat.

Anyway just some thoughts on liver and oran meat in general. Something to chew on. 😋😉🤣
When I was growing up and my mother would make Irish stew, I used to hate the fat that came with the lamb, and I'd spend ages performing surgery on the meat to remove every trace of fat, which was of course impossible and watching the performance drove her round the bend. Her solution was to cut up a couple of sheep's hearts and put them in too. They were lean, tasty and cooked in a pressure cooker so not difficult to eat. To this day I have very little tolerance for fat on meat, and I never did get to like Irish stew, but I'd still eat heart today if it wasn't verboten in our house; my wife is a nurse and can't abide seeing anything being cooked that she's seen being operated on.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I was growing up and my mother would make Irish stew, I used to hate the fat that came with the lamb, and I'd spend ages performing surgery on the meat to remove every trace of fat, which was of course impossible and watching the performance drove her round the bend. Her solution was to cut up a couple of sheep's hearts and put them in too. They were lean, tasty and cooked in a pressure cooker so not difficult to eat. To this day I have very little tolerance for fat on meat, and I never did get to like Irish stew, but I'd still eat heart today if it wasn't verboten in our house; my wife is a nurse and can't abide seeing anything being cooked that she's seen being operated on.
Isn't Scottish food based on a dare? I guess Irish does too.