East Front is lacking - design feedback wanted

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This has some potential. Need to chow time the hoard of felines then conjugate on this for a while. L🤔
Such a thing could be divided into three scenarios with each scenario depicting a different tactical situation.

1st: Approach. How your units get there.

2nd: Maneuver. How to get into the attack position.

3rd: Objective. The culmination of Approach and Maneuver. Achieving what you set out to do.

This I will term AMO, cause I love paranomasia.

More conjugating later.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Well, I cannot disagree - besides, who likes to pretend? :)

I'm no fan myself of 'make this into that' - and prefer having new boards (I don't VASL either). I think there is some room there however slight (ie 'orchards are shellholes' - because they kinda look like holes)
But getting MMP to publish a board first requires having scenarios to join them. I'm sitting on several boards already and am now designing my own scenarios to go with them in order to get them to MMP for their review. But the going is slow and more PTers is what we need.
You are not kidding on Playtesters, they might be the most important people in the hobby as they fix and balance things before they ever get published. If we had better playtesting we would not have so many wildly unbalanced scenarios published and the evidence is at ROAR. I am very lucky in having about 10 guys I can really count on to help Dispatches, without their help, there is no newsletter. Some recent releases could have used just a little bit more...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You are not kidding on Playtesters, they might be the most important people in the hobby as they fix and balance things before they ever get published. If we had better playtesting we would not have so many wildly unbalanced scenarios published and the evidence is at ROAR. I am very lucky in having about 10 guys I can really count on to help Dispatches, without their help, there is no newsletter. Some recent releases could have used just a little bit more...
Well said.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dare I say it....CH have already done that. With their Lords Of The Steppe products.
This is a perfect example of a CH product that I might be interested in, but they can't be bothered to actually show the maps included, so I'm not interested...

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
From Wiki:
German prisoners of war in northwest Europe

The Western Allies also took 134,000 German soldiers prisoner in North Africa,[10] and at least 220,000 by the end of April 1945 in the Italian campaign.[10] The total haul of German POWs held by the Western Allies by April 30, 1945, in all theatres of war was over 3,150,000, rising in northwest Europe to 7,614,790 after the end of the war.[11]

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This is a perfect example of a CH product that I might be interested in, but they can't be bothered to actually show the maps included, so I'm not interested...
The map is a large section of plain green open ground. With lots of different overlays to place on it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The 6.6 million POWs held by the Western Allies is in the 3rd quarter of '45. That would be late summer!

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting a little off topic are we? I am always open to new eastern front boards and scenarios, if you get me new MMP boards, I'll design scenarios for them... Eastern Front Rocks!
Agreed. Thanks Vic. Well, I have 2 new East Front boards and will see if I can get them to you soon. Working out some details with Tom :) I've already tried my hand with them and they look promising.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Proportionally to the amount of combat, the Norwegian front sapped the most resources. More scenarios in mountains in snow please. With snow boards.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. Thanks Vic. Well, I have 2 new East Front boards and will see if I can get them to you soon. Working out some details with Tom :) I've already tried my hand with them and they look promising.
As soon as MMP publishes them, we're golden and we'll see what we can do.

FrankH.

Reaction score
Reading the comments about "terrain transformation SSRs", would these be helpful for ftf play?
Just me but I do not think the Steppe Terrain version colors need to quite match ETO board greens. The base color at least might be more of a very dry wheat (not the bright gold ETO grain), maybe mixed with earth browns and reds. But still compatible, meaning not glaringly clashing to the eyes, with the ETO color boards.

If the colors are pleasing enough and do not clash with ETO, it might be a product: paper reprints in Steppe colors.

Not sure about Broken Terrain colors. Maybe more of an olive grove type light green as a base? Someone has to come up with a definition, and a graphic sketch, of just what a Broken Ground hex might contain, and then, board artwork with a color or colors for it.

In the above when I say base color I am referring mostly to the color of the open ground hexes.