DOOM Movie Trailer

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched the trailer late last night. Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.

scuud

Reaction score
Doctor Sinister said:
What's this petition all about?

Dr. S.
Well, the petition itself can be found here .

It basically says that the movie does not stay true to the games and thus, I wont be seeing it.

jaegertech

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
scuud said:
Well, the petition itself can be found here .

It basically says that the movie does not stay true to the games and thus, I wont be seeing it.
Since that petition was created, several elements of the movie have been changed to be far more Doom-ish. Still mutants instead of a gateway to hell though. I dunno, before the trailer, I was ready to boycott the movie in protest, but now it looks like they've at least tried to appease the fans.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But the horrible CGI.. and the Paul W.S. Anderson style direction..

Ugh.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
Perhaps he and Uwe Bolle could combine their efforts. :rolleyes: :kotz:
ROFL!

Sorry this just doesn't have the appeal of the games. I could use a screen-filming (or whatever) type program and play Doom II and make a more interesting movie. With a PLOT! :p

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will see the movie (rent for $3 most likely), but it will only be for the tension and the fright. I haven't played Doom since the original, however I wouldn't care if I did.

If I wanted a movie based on a game to be exactly like the game, I'd just go play the friggin' game.

Even the mention of a petition against this movie for the reason of NOT being exactly like the game gives me all the more reason to see it.

:p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
If I wanted a movie based on a game to be exactly like the game, I'd just go play the friggin' game.
That argument doesn't really work here. I could see that being a reasonable argument if people were complaining that the film should be the exact same events of the game. However, this film completely changes the fundamental nature of what Doom was about - Creatures from another dimension (essentially... Hell) coming and killing everyone. Much different than experiments on the human genome creating Hell Knights, Imps, etc...

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
I saw Alone in the Dark some time ago, and this sounds actually quite like it.

It was complete crap btw., may Uwe Boll die a horrible death.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
That argument doesn't really work here. I could see that being a reasonable argument if people were complaining that the film should be the exact same events of the game. However, this film completely changes the fundamental nature of what Doom was about - Creatures from another dimension (essentially... Hell) coming and killing everyone. Much different than experiments on the human genome creating Hell Knights, Imps, etc...
Funny, but I don't get that from the discussion here. Does it really matter where they came from? Isn't the essential gist of any FPS game like Doom being turned into a movie to represent the spooky horror of the game? Oh yeah, and let's not forget the capitalization on the name?

I look at it like this, there's a good chance many people (like myself) are not wrapped up in some Doom space/time continuum and are looking at 90 minutes of entertainment, seeing something cool and new.

I don't think the target audience for Doom is necessarily the hardcore Doom player. I think that, if the CGI and such is decent, it may spark a buying-spree for the game.

Consumerism at its best!

As for people calling for Uwe Boll's death, that seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?

Some people need to get real lives to go with their fantasy lives.:laugh:

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has more of a Resident Evil feel to the trailer than a true Doom re-creation. It seems odd too, given the cool things they could have done by sending the Marines into hell to kick some demon arse.

I think the marketing people probably said that movies can't show hell/satan/demons in any sort of serious type of movie. You have to add high doses of comedy (Army of Darkness for example) or people will just be too frightened (Doom is probably aiming for the PG-13 audience), and the religious groups would just be all over them.

On a more fundamental level, it is just more expensive to set a movie in hell than it is inside some generic space lab. :laugh: