Directive Number Three

Roy Connelly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saturday Feb 1, Bud Garding, Mike Rose and I were the players in attendance at the Southern Kansas ASL club. Looking for a three player scenario, we chose AP7- Directive Number Three. Mike and Bud decided they wanted to team up against me. I took the Krauts and they got the Ivans.

Directive Number Three is a three board, large, early war armor scenario, with 18 Russian AFV and 15 German. A Russian armored car, six motorcyle counters for six infantry squads round out the Red forces, while 4 SPWs and 4 squads compliment the Gerry OB.

Simultaneous setup with a board between us and board entry with half mps begin the scenario before turn 1. All but two of the Russki AFV are platoon movers, and I underestimated how far these tanks would get on their turn 1 move. Unfortunately the Russian roll for the honor of the first move went to Bud and Mike, and I realized I may have made a mistake.

After my pre-game move I decided to leave only the two PZIVD and two Pz38(t)E stopped. The Russian afv all have another third mps as my tanks (exc- T35 land battleships 10mp!) and with so many of my tanks in motion, Bud and Mike got right up into my face on turn 1.

I spent my first turn movement phase basically stopping all my tanks and praying for some luck. I managed to get through with the loss of only a couple tanks, and I was feeling a lot better. My infantry loaded HTs were headed for an area of woods on board 43 but the Russian infantry got there first, and I ended up unloading in a large grain field, after suffering a critical hit on my front SPW from one of Bud's T-34 M40s. These tanks (t-34 m40) are true beasts on this battlefield, only my 50s on my PZIIIH really had a chance to bag one of these critters and it was no guarantee.

We were at a bit of a stalemate with the Russians needing to get 65vp of cas/exit combined to win, so Bud and Mike stayed to slug it out for a bit. After a couple of prep/dfire exchanges we were both feeling the pinch as tank after tank went down, but it seemed that I was getting the better of it. Unfortunately I was getting a bit busted up in return. The grainfield containing my infantry was ablaze, and with dry EC and a mild breeze it didn't take long to get half the board up in flames. Indeed, by the time we were done, I had used all of my blaze counters. My three squads of infantry went to see if we could engage the unkillable T34 M40s as they had the best shot to kill them in CC and my 50s were all dead by this point. Bud tried a double overrun through two hexes and CR'd one 468 but on an attack by my surviving HS in my half turn, I rolled a 2, created an 8-1 and eliminated the monster!

Turn 4 and they decided to run for it, I managed to immobilize one T34-M40, and kill a land battleship, my last d-fire went well. Bud failed an exit ESB with a battleship and passed one with a T34 M40. We decided to count up VP and they had their requirement. Game over, and a loss for the Gerrys.

I really enjoyed this scenario, it doesn't play like a regular tank scen, and there was quite a bit of a chess game going on. The Germans aren't restricted by platoon movement like the Russians, but every tank they have is vulnerable. Whereas the Ivans have faster though platoon moving tanks, three of them are practically unkillable. We bounced a ton of shots which always helps a tank game be more enjoyable, and I actually put my infantry to use. I give this scen a 7 out of 10 and would definitely play it again.

mlicari

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Directive Number is F-U-Freakin-N.

It's the only scenario in which I had one of my tanks get captured and turned against me. One of my tanks was immobilized. The crew bailed out and was KIAd. A Russian crew that had gotten its own tank shot out from underneath it then captured and manned my tank. It nailed another of my tanks before I put it out of action (again, so to speak).

Whee!

Mike

amato1969

Recruit
Reaction score
Can't agree more - D#3 is a total blast. John Provan and I played it at Winter War two years ago.

We didn't have any tanks captured, but there were several running around with malf'd MA. A wild AFV scrum eventually formed before John ran enough VP off for a win, but not before some major carnage.

I'd play this again for sure!

Frank

SSA415

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D3

This scenario provided my greatest ROF moment ever in ASL. As the Germs, one of the tanks with a 2 ROF went crazy and killed five (5!) Russian tanks in one DFF.... Scenario is a blast. Great final exam on learning tank rules, too.

S

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: D3

SSA415 said:
This scenario provided my greatest ROF moment ever in ASL. As the Germs, one of the tanks with a 2 ROF went crazy and killed five (5!) Russian tanks in one DFF.... Scenario is a blast. Great final exam on learning tank rules, too.
It is a fun scenario; I played it when it came out and thought it very pro-Soviet, yet ROAR reports it 41-42, so I must have been wrong. I thought that the T-34's, supported by the rest of the tanks were close to unstoppable if the sovs get the move advantage.

Of course, if you play by the current platoon movement rules, I don't see how the Germans can win barring incredible dice.

Great ASL though; it is the best AFV vs. AFV game out there.

SSA415

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Of course, if you play by the current platoon movement rules, I don't see how the Germans can win barring incredible dice.
Played it twice, once each side, both playings have resulted in German wins, though both to a more experienced player and I did have incredible dice.....

:?: What is it about the platoon rules that make you say that? I recall feeling them a hindrance to the Russians?

Great ASL though; it is the best AFV vs. AFV game out there.
Should read: best game out there.

S

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

SSA415 said:
What is it about the platoon rules that make you say that? I recall feeling them a hindrance to the Russians?
Per the PM rules, a platoon may only be fired on after it has finished its impulse. So, for example, The german player rolls up two hexes away from a soviet platoon; the next MPh the platoon declares PM, unbuttons, throws vehiculer smoke granedes, starts, changes CA, moves to a new hex (preferably out of LOS or behind even more hindrances). At that point, at the end of the impulse, the german player can fire. At best, it allows the PMing player to get the +2 Moving Vehicle DRM; at worst, it allows for ducking out of LOS before the enemy can shoot at you.

Without PM, you have to make that decision in the enemy's MPh via a Motion Attempt. You lose out on DFPh if you are successful.

In D3 this makes the BT platoons very powerful, as they can exit for the win. The german player would have a hard time tracking them down. Doable, but hard.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd just point out that "Current Platoon Movement rules" are basically unchanged since the publication of the rule book.

IOW, there has been no significant change to platoon movement rules...

Sam[/quote]

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>IOW, there has been no significant change to platoon movement rules...

No one claimed differntly Sam. They have been broken for some time; it is only when you try to play by the rules that you realize how screwed up they are. I admit I never understood the implications (despite Ole Boe and Patrik Manlig's posts 8 years ago) until I sat down and try to play it "right".