DGRJW build 1.066 update and DirectX

NormKoger

Game Developer, Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello guys,

We recently released the 1.066 update for RJW. It fixes a number of items and brings a pretty good speed increase in some areas - well worth the update. Part of the reason for the improvements is inheritance of some shared code modules that were developed for the Jutland project. This is possible because we finally got around to synchronizing the development environments for the two projects, including updating RJW to use a much more recent version of the DirectX SDK.

The down side of the update to more recent DirectX and "Platform" SDK's is that some of you will have problems with DirectX complaining about a missing DLL after the update. This is particularly true of gamers who have not installed any recently developed games over the last year or so, and who installed Distant Guns from older installables. In order to keep the size of the 1.066 update reasonably small, we elected not to include a version of the DirectX end user installable in the update. These things can be fairly large, and some of our users are still stuck with low speed connections.

If your game fails to start or complains of a missing DLL after the update, you probably need to update your installation of DirectX. The current (January 8, 2008) direct link for the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer on Microsoft's site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Microsoft has an amusing habit of changing links on their site fairly frequently. If they break this link, the next best place to look is

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=2

And finally, if they break that link too, the Microsoft Download Center will list the current DirectX End-User Runtime installer near the top of the "Popular Downloads" section.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

In any case, even if you have not experienced problems with DG, it's probably not a bad idea to update your DirectX installation and check your graphics and sound card drivers if it's been a while.

Back to the cave...

Norm Koger

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Any fixes on famous 'AI insta-panic syndrome' in single battle mode?

P.S. Hi there! ;)

NormKoger

Game Developer, Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any fixes on famous 'AI insta-panic syndrome' in single battle mode?

P.S. Hi there! ;)

There should be. One of the improvements is some new logic to force the PO to attempt engagements in non-campaign battles. Once losses reach a random threshold, the logic turns off and the PO still beats a hasty retreat - but by then it's usually too late :) The logic is not active in campaign battles, as the PO really needs to retain the option of force preservation.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another place to find the DirectX DLLs is ThreeLights.de. In fact, this was the ONLY place I was able to get them--the links on the Microsoft page were all broken for me. These are the REAL DDLs here, all official Microsoft with the license and all. It's here: http://www.threelights.de/index.php?page=projects/d3dx9_xx_dll_files.php

Anyway, RJW build 66 has quite a few improvements and fixes, as you can tell from the jump in number from 56 to 66 :). While most of these are under the hood, the frame rate improvement is phenomenal. I was able to turn animated water back on and jack up the detail settings.

Enforcer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Am I starting to see things that aren't there, or have I noticed a small improvement over the splashes? :laugh:

I do think so... good work :)

However the "insta-panic" just goes on here :upset:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However the "insta-panic" just goes on here :upset:
In a computer-generated battle? Did you try a new one or did you play one you'd saved from an earlier version? I can't say I've ever seen the AI run away in a CG battle that was created with this new version of the game.

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There does seem to be an improvement, my FPS now don't appear to dip below 37, and during a campain battle just now went to 40, but the shell splashes seem a lot better, they don't appear to slow down.

Well done Norm

WallysWorld

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The shell splashes appear to have been toned down a bit in terms of the 'foamy-ness' of th splash. They are much more lighter in color and seem more life-life.

The fire on board the ships might be more pronounced now, but that might be my imagination.

A very good update indeed!

Thanks a bunch, Norm!

KGB

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Guys, is there any way to download patch alone ? I mean, I currently do not have world wide web connection at home, so I have no opportunity to launch game and install patch.

Enforcer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
In a computer-generated battle? Did you try a new one or did you play one you'd saved from an earlier version? I can't say I've ever seen the AI run away in a CG battle that was created with this new version of the game.
an old saved game, you are right.

I've tried a new one and there they didn't chicken out.

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Big thanks for brave AI.

Now if only we have a scenario editor...

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Just a quick query so I won’t do anything I’ll regret later.

I’m running Vista 32 with pre-installed Direct X 10 and following the latest update received the missing d3 dx9_35.dll message which Norm mentioned.

I followed Bulletheads link and was given the choice of all D3DX9 and D3DX10 updates, both including the _35.dll.

Please can someone advise me which one to install, either one or both?

Cheers,

Xray

RCNVR

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think that I like the new order system, it will take a little getting used to but the divisions seem easier to control.

Daedalus

Reaction score
Another place to find the DirectX DLLs is ThreeLights.de. In fact, this was the ONLY place I was able to get them--the links on the Microsoft page were all broken for me. These are the REAL DDLs here, all official Microsoft with the license and all. It's here: http://www.threelights.de/index.php?page=projects/d3dx9_xx_dll_files.php

Anyway, RJW build 66 has quite a few improvements and fixes, as you can tell from the jump in number from 56 to 66 :). While most of these are under the hood, the frame rate improvement is phenomenal. I was able to turn animated water back on and jack up the detail settings.
Frame rates are great now! It surprised me .
Bust testing and have not been here for a while. But that is good. :)

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick query so I won’t do anything I’ll regret later.
I'd email that question to support before you do anything. I don't have Vista myself so don't believe anything I say about it :).

However, my gut feeling is that if you have DirectX 10, you should get the DirectX 10 DLL package. Seems wrong to put a Dx9 thing into a Dx10 installation.

jdkbph

Reaction score
Country
llYugoslavia
I'd email that question to support before you do anything. I don't have Vista myself so don't believe anything I say about it :).

However, my gut feeling is that if you have DirectX 10, you should get the DirectX 10 DLL package. Seems wrong to put a Dx9 thing into a Dx10 installation.
Actually, that's required and done quite often. DX9 and DX10 can coexist. Vista out of the box comes with DX10, but you still need DX9 components to play certain games.

JD

PepsiCan

Reaction score
Country
ll
That's actually incorrect. Vista comes out-of-the-box with DirectX 9.0c. DirectX10 is a Microsoft Windows update. Or it has been installed because you have a DirectX10 compatible video card and the manufacturer of the card has installed it.

I believe DirectX10 is backwards compatible though (as all DirectX versions so far have been backward compatible). So, downloading DirectX 10 should supply you with the stuff for previous DirectX versions as well.

Either way standard Windows Vista from DVD installs with 9.0c. SP1 for Windows Vista will contain DirectX10.1.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Right Gents

I went ahead and installed both sets of dll’s, one to update the DirectX 9 segment and the others for DirectX 10. Just to be safe I created a restore point to roll everything back in case of problems.

Well no problems with my actual OS but Distant Guns now asks for my validation code and password which when entered fail with a code 7 and informs me I have no more activations left. Since this was my first and only install and activation with no changes to my system it’s got me fluxed.

I’ve written to support and awaiting a reply, so far I’ve not rolled back and will await a reply from Norm.

The joys of Vista!