Dethnet - The weekend in review

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
People, that was a fantastic weekend. We had a great turnout for the Guild Events day at Crossroads. I'd have to get some numbers from Corbix, but there had to be a couple dozen members present at the least! Everyone seemed to have a really great time, and we certainly attracted alot of attention. There was chatter on the general channels in several different areas, and guild recruiting went through the roof. We had roughly 20 people enter the guild during the events!

Such massive recruitment means, of course, that we are guaranteed to get several members that are not quite the right fit for DethNet; some will not be comfortable with our Guild Philosophy, some will not like the rule about not swearing your head off or acting childish in Guild Chat. That's just fine, we want all our members to be comfortable with us, much as we need to be comfortable with them!

And then of course, there's the second type of recruit - those that aren't interested in being happy here at all, and their only purpose is to cause as much dusturbance and trouble as they can prior to getting booted. We give everyone a chance, and no one is ever booted without a polite warning. But some people are simply trouble, and will not be tolerated in our guild. Each and every member is a representitive for DethNet on the entire server. Their actions in the game, their words on the various chat channels, all this reflects directly back to DethNet.

We are very proud of our guild and what it has grown into, thanks to you guys! There are so many members that make this place feel like home - you are the ones that we put in all this work for - we want DethNet to be something you can be proud to be a part of - somewhere you can be comfortable, and find the help, information and entertainment that you need when you make your way through Azeroth.

DethNet is likely the single most popular guild in Lightning's Blade - we are 8 weeks old now, and well over 300 members. We're only going to keep growing, and with help from our members and officers, we will continue to be the best, brightest star rising in the WoW Guild scene.

Be proud of what you're a part of! You guys are what makes DethNet!

:D

Last edited:

D3adkl0wn

..your own personal Jesus
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
well spoken.

i was mentioning to Bee earlier about some issues w/ new members that we had last night, tho the offending parties are gone now. the problem lay mostly because no one online had the power to kick them after they were warned multiple times to watch the language and in general not to be an talking like an a$$**** towards other members and to the guild in general (i think D0ntd0it and myself were the only non fodder ppl online at the time). i personally could have flown through the screen at two of them after what was said to me..

but all in all, yes, the events were fun, and i think that they went well and we should def do it again.. i'll be there

EDIT: i realize now that the majority of this was cleared up in your other topic.. sry

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No worries! :)

I just had a disucssion with Bee, and we're going to make a couple of changes to how we do things to give you guys (our officers) the ability to deal with things like this that crop up, without having to change from our initial vision of how the guild was to be run.

This will mean a promotion for a few of you... :laugh:

Here's what we've got in mind:

Our original concern is with issues I have had playing WoW in the past. I have been a member of several guilds, and I have seen this happen consistently. The most recent time was with a guild on a different server, around February. They grew to be a fairly large guild (somewhere around our size) and had many officers. They were all (mostly) just online friends, of course, and had never met in real life. Well, one of them got bent out of shape over something that was said to him earlier, and logged in one day and kicked all 300 people out of the guild. Myself and Canibis included. As I don't play there any longer, I don't have updated information, but the last time I logged in, the guild was nowhere near recovered. This pretty much did them in.

Well, when DethNet was being conceived, we taked about this, and decided it was not something we were going to allow to happen to us. Our whole initial idea for DethNet was to be a place where we could be comfortable, help each other, quest together, not read the immature rantings of foul-mouthed 12 year olds in guild chat, and just generally have as great a time as we could playing World of Warcraft. This is something we're very proud to share with all of you guys and gals!

But at the same time, we don't want our officer's to be helpless to act when certain unruly members need to be reined in. So here's what we're going to do!

There will shortly be an Officer's Forum here as well, and only people that have been promoted to that level in the guild will have access to it. Aside from planning the guild events, making note of who has been helpful, making suggestions for promotions and the like (you know, the fun stuff!); we'll also be able to keep track of members who go over the line, receive warnings for cursing in guild chat, etc. If you are an officer, you should use the Officer's Forum to make any comments you have, good and bad, and then we'll have an on-going record we can refer to at any time. If someone's actions in guild chat lead you to believe that they need to be removed, simply copy and paste the chat messages (including the warning you send them and their reply) into a message in the Officer's Forum, and the Founders will back you guys up 110%.

As I've made clear before, and will state again here to be certain there is no misunderstanding - we stand behind our Officers in DethNet completely. Please, if an Officer asks you for something, please do your very best to comply. Particularily in the absence of a Founder online, these people are running DethNet, and we do require that you afford them the appropriate respect! The single most definate way to get removed from the guild is to publicly disrespect an Officer or Founder!

I know many members have no idea of how much time it takes to run a guild as large and active as DethNet is - I can spend up to 3 hours after I log in and get no playing time in! It's no different for the many other founders and officers, so please help as much as you can by giving these people your cooperation.

Now, there will be times when the founders are not online (like last nite), when certain members will go out of the way to cause trouble, be totally disrespectful, hurl obscene insults directly at our officers in guild chat, etc. The member in question knows there are no founders on to remove him, so he's out to cause as much damage as is possible prior to a founder logging in and toasting him.

This is unacceptable.

So, as soon as I get home from work I am instituting two changes. The first is in regards to the second guild rank (currently Grunt, iirc), that was just freed up when we removed the 'inactive' rank. I'm going to rename it 'Suspended', and remove all privileges from it. No guild chat talk/listen, nothing. This will effectively silence the member in question from hassling the guild. They will still be able to spout crap on the main channels, but then again, they can do that even after we boot them, so no big deal. When a founder logs in, said members will be removed from the guild.

The second change is a series of promotions. I'm going to modify the second Officer rank (no one currently has this rank) so that they can promote/demote members solely for the purpose of setting them to 'Suspended'. This will have the effect mentioned above, and will allow the Officer to deal with people whose actions demand response now.

Off the top of my head (and with apologies to any of our fine officers I cannot recall without logging in), this will require a promotion for Corbix, Benic, & Dontdoit.

Congrats, guys! I hope this will allow you to better deal with these unpleasant situations as they come up!

Last edited: