Deluxe and SK boards use same identifier

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
When MMP produced Starter Kit 1 they decided to use the same naming system for the SK boards as the Deluxe boards - a lowercase letter. At the time there were only eight Deluxe boards: a - h originally published in Streets of Fire and Hedgerow Hell. Then, MMP put four new Deluxe boards (i - l) in Winter Offensive Bonus Pack #9. Now, MMP have released SK Expansion Pack #2 with two new SK boards (k, l). As a result, the board identifiers overlap. Playing FTF this is not a problem. On VASL, this is a problem.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Its not a big problem just rename the SK boards SKa to SKz or whatever, or the Deluxe boards to DELa etc

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Its not a big problem just rename the SK boards SKa to SKz or whatever, or the Deluxe boards to DELa etc
Would it work if you just rename the deluxe boards with uppercase letters? IOW, are board names case-sensitive?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would it work if you just rename the deluxe boards with uppercase letters? IOW, are board names case-sensitive?
Maybe. Other options that have been mentioned would probably work too.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But this might lead to confusion later when people select the boards and are not aware of case-sensitivity.
If anything is to be renamed, then DEL[board ID] would be the better solution IMHO.

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, so what. Let the Starter Kit newbies play on Deluxe boards. They probably won't know the difference.
You don't think the walls wouldn't tip 'em off? They'd probably get "the vapors" and faint when they see 'em.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, so what. Let the Starter Kit newbies play on Deluxe boards. They probably won't know the difference.
Probably you are right. And if they notice - well, they want to get startled with the game, no? ;)

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm, just reread the OP. So there are two new SK boards that need the VASL treatment?

I’m not buying SK any more so I’m not aware of them. I’ll have to do a little digging.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The guys who are working on the boards (not me) have a plan.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But this might lead to confusion later when people select the boards and are not aware of case-sensitivity.
If anything is to be renamed, then DEL[board ID] would be the better solution IMHO.

von Marwitz
Sure, set 'em up for a copyright battle with "DEL" [Board whatever]; Or what if a guy thinks the DEL is short for "Delete" and is afraid to ever use that board or thinks it's going to delete all boards if he adds it to his VASL setup? K'mon big fella, let's use some common sense here.;)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
There isn't a bonus for brevity and it often just causes grief later. Deluxe-a provide maximum information with minimal abstraction.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If we rename existing boards, we will break every game that is using them. Not a good idea and not needed.

What we need to do is make sure new boards continue to have a unique name on VASL.

SK k and l boards were released today and will show up in your boardpicker dropdown as kSK and lSK to distinguish them from the Deluxe boards k and l which will continue to show up as k and l.

If you're smart enough to play ASL you are smart enough to figure this out.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks so much, Doug, for getting the LOS done for these and for pushing them out so quickly.

For those of you who need instructions, these two boards appear as "kSK" and "lSK" (small ell) in the Board Picker dialog. That's all.

Board kSK features an Easter Egg of a kind that I wish I had been doing all along.

These are both Really Good Boards. I hope they get used in plenty of Full ASL scenarios, because I wanna play on 'em. The buildings on kSK are really gorgeous; Charlie outdid himself.