Coastal Fortress Collection?

waloonga

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hey there ASLers!

I am well aware of the fact that the excellent Coastalfortess site has been down for quite som time now, but I do remember that when it was being canned, that the moderators stated that the contents will be distributed to other willing websites. Does anybody know where this information went to?

-Daniel

syfaulk

Reaction score
I too have never had a problem finding anything. The SoCalASL site is by far the best ASL site on the web. I don't know how it can be called "disorganized". Paul runs a tight outfit over there and knows what he's doing. The site's content, organization, visuals and webmaster compentency were the main reasons we picked SoCal to house the CF material.
With all the work we put in to the CF stuff, I wouldn't want it anywhere else. Anyhow, what CF material were you looking for? Most of the downloadable stuff went to SoCal. The ASLBB stuff went back to Brien Martin and the playtest scens went back to the respective designers. The only thing that's not out there are the two Forward Observer issues and the scenarios included. Everything else has pretty much found a home elsewhere.

Regards,
-Scott

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, come on. The SoCal site could be greatly improved.

For example, how many steps does it take to find and download a Tactiques scenario?

The instructions say:

"Also, we have started to add the Tactique scenarios to be downloaded. Please visit the Scenario Info section to find the scenario you want and for the TacXX scenarios, simply click on the download link. I will be creating a simple link to allow you to jump straight to the Tactiques section in the next day or so."

If you go to the Scenario Info section, you won't find any information about downloadable scenarios or Tactiques. Despite the above instruction, there is no download link on the Scenario Info page. Nor is there even a list of Tactiques scenarios.

To get to them, you have to go to the Scenario Search page, and then do a search on Tactiques scenarios, which means you have to know in advance the Tactiques scenario abbreviation. Then, once you have a list, you have to bring up the page for a particular scenario. Only then is there an option to download.

This is neither easy nor intuitive, and except for the notice in the news section, there is nothing on the website to even tell you that these scenarios exist. It is not at all user friendly. There ought to be a "Downloads" section right off the main page, which lays everything out.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with Pitman. As a newbie, I've gone to the Search page, and looked around. With the limited searches I performed (without knowing what's available), there were no download options.

If you can actually download some scenarios, then it's not at all obvious to me.

Update: Now that I'm aware of the Tactiques scenarios, I did a search and found them. Lo and behold, downloads were available. Makes me wonder what else I'd be able to find on there. Too bad, no browse.

syfaulk

Reaction score
Type in TAC and get the full list. No prob.

BTW, if Ron can find it, then anyone can. He was around before the abacus, much less the computer. :wink: :wink:

-Scott

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No problem, I suppose, IF you know that you have to type in TAC. Nowhere is this mentioned anywhere.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
syfaulk said:
Type in TAC and get the full list. No prob.

BTW, if Ron can find it, then anyone can. He was around before the abacus, much less the computer. :wink: :wink:

-Scott
Well, I do not neccesarily agree. For example, if you recall scenario title, but not number it is hard to find AARs on the scenario you are looking for. At least for me since i'm not a native english speaker so the spelling is sometimes hard to get right.

Also I liked the way Coastal Fortress used to present AARs and downloads a lot better, since you got a clear list what was there in alphabetical order. SoCal site is probably very good if you know what is supposed to be there (eg. Iknow that TAC scenarios are here somewhere) so you can search untill you find it.

Regards,

Tuomo

SoCal Webmaster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
Oh, come on. The SoCal site could be greatly improved.
Hello!

Actually I agree. The club's website has grown considerably since I first laid it out. We inherited ASL Crossroads and Coastal Fortress stuff as well as incorporating ROAR and COW. I am in the final stages of making a major overhaul of the website. My goal is to make everything available in just one or two clicks (preferably one) but at the same time make it clean and easy to navigate.

Please check back in a few weeks and tell me what you think. I am always open to suggestions. However, with a fulltime job and 3 kids, it might take awhile for the changes to be incorporated. :D

-Paul