CMBO- "3MIF" Round 2

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But as we all know- having to attack in wet muddy ground really sucks. Nothing like having an attack disappear due to a lot of vehicles immobilized.

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Four turns to go in my battle with AirBiscuit. His forces are making their major push into Escoville proper. In one corner of the town, a lone (apparently) Sherman guards a crossroads when ---

WHAMMO! Simultaneous tank blowout! :devious:

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Palantir said:
I LIKE IT!!! :D
Great screen capture Mephisto. :thumup:
You should throw that one into the screenshot thread as well. :banana:
I will vouch for the excitement of that turn. There is lots of action going on in the 5 remaining turns of the game as I make a run on the objectives. Mephisto's defenses are making the last stretch really tough.

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NORAD said:
Very nice! A proper nail biter I'm sure! :cool:

What building mod are you using??
I'm pretty sure all the mods I'm using for this game are Magua's Normandy mods. I haven't mod'ed any of the vehicles - just the scenery. :smoke:

Arakis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Revenge

Here is what's going on right now on the outskirts of Escoville.
German forces are infiltrating the town, under cover of heavy artillery fire. German tanks are roaming around the countryside, looking for prey, when a pair of panzer IVs round a corner and run into a pair of Shermans.
The panzer wingman quickly dispatches the Sherman lead, but before he even has a chance to reload, the wingman takes him out, as you can see in the picture:

Earlier that turn, a lone bren carrier got lost, and ran into some German infantry. Luckily, we all carry our trusty 'fausts with us:

Before:

After:

They won't make that mistake again.

I lost some soldiers and a couple of vehicles too this turn, but I don't have to post that, I'll leave that to my esteemed opponent Aston008 ;)

Arakis

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Universal Carrier Crew: Do your hear a strange whistling shrieking noise?

Nah mate, it's just the wind...we do got the top down you know... :D

Bogdan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Magua's mods for CMBO

Mephisto said:
I'm pretty sure all the mods I'm using for this game are Magua's Normandy mods. I haven't mod'ed any of the vehicles - just the scenery. :smoke:
For me, Magua's mods are the most beatifull artworks for normandy scenery in CMBO. I really think that it provides a good immersive feeling when looking at the battleground. Trees, fields, houses, road... ...almost everything create a nice "Normandy atmosphere" :)

By the way, I suggest every player here to download these beauties. I made my maps with these mods and, sometimes, I tend to think that it modifies your perception and your aesthetical opinion about the 3D battleground. It really helps you to make a cute map.

In fact , it may be easier to build a "Normandy-looking" map rather than a Playmobil-like scenery ! :eek: :laugh:

Bogdan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Escoville battle : reaching to the end ?

Hi Gentlemen,

As many days passed here without any activity, I would like to know how your battles are going right now :)

I saw that some of you have already finished this 30 turns long scenario. Are the other players on the way to conclude the battle too, or is the fighting still ferocious ? :devious:
I hope you all enjoy this battle, as the forthcoming one will surelly be interesting too !

For your information, my little "Normandy trip" is still planned for this Saturday (30th). I hope that the weather won't be too bad as the sky today in Paris looks good and promising. Wait and see...

Be sure I'll post some pictures of the REAL battleground right here for you in the next weeks :smoke:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Current score:

Axis- 4 victories: 2 Minor & 2 Draws
Allies- 6 victories: 1 Tactical, 1 Minor & 4 Draws

Note- All 6 Draws have been by 10 or less points! :nuts:

Which means that a single units loss could have swung the games outcome in the other direction. :surprise:

Looks like this battle is literally not over until the last round is shot! :scream:

Good Hunting Gentlemen.

BTW, Happy Halloween to you all. :jack:

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For my battle as Axis, I am sweating over turn 28. I am at the cusp of capturing 5 different objectives, and some of them are really iffy with determined resistance denying me the final yards. In all, I am not sure whether I will capture any of them. The only consolation is that the objectives are in Question Mark mode.

My other battle as Allies is going into turn 18 with the enemy getting a firm hold on the Axis quadrant of the map, with some Allied resistance still giving them fits as they try to close down the center. A stalemate battle has been raging at Ferme du Pre Baron with reinforced Allied troops holding them at bay. An offensive on Escoville appears to be taking form on the far side of the scrublands and a few sporadic shots have been exchanged. We are trying to pick up on the momentum of this game as the outcome is still uncertain.

NiG

Reaction score
In a lovely 3 bedroom terrace just a stone's throw
Country
ll
In my battle against Herroberst we finished with my Axis occupying all but the last Escoville flag :smoke: The Allies had just one tank left and i had two. However, my last push for the flag in Escoville was very expensive... cost 3 tanks !! and two platoons :OHNO: But I got the draw at 55/45 in my favour :cheeky:

I reality I would have been pushed out of escoville pretty soon afterwards but would have bottled the allies in the town... :bandit:

A very excellent scenario, extremely difficult and well balanced.. an absolute cerdit to the deisgners - WELL DONE :D

In my other game (on turn 28) - the germans have the single right flank flag (their right), the original starting point and the first farm. They are now in retreat to consolidate these flags and only my four shermans can run them off... I still hold the big centre flag that is being descended upon by a Stug and at least three or four platoons :eek: The Shermans are about to arrive... will they get there in time to allow a retreat? I seriously don't think I'll hold it but I will make it expensive! :smoke: :devious:

Last edited:

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
airBiscuit said:
For my battle as Axis, I am sweating over turn 28. I am at the cusp of capturing 5 different objectives, and some of them are really iffy with determined resistance denying me the final yards. In all, I am not sure whether I will capture any of them. The only consolation is that the objectives are in Question Mark mode.
Those durned Question Mark Flags! Gotta ... stop ... the ... advance ...

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NiG said:
A very excellent scenario, extremely difficult and well balanced.. an absolute cerdit to the deisgners - WELL DONE :D
/QUOTE]

Thanks!
Palantir: :hail:
and for Bogdan until he sees this: :banana:

As was mentioned before (somewhere), as far as balance.

We worked hard & are working hard to make all the the 3MIF scenarios fun, challenging, playable & balanced: not to mention historically "semi" accurate. (some just can't be receated completely historical and still be made balanced & playable in a snap-shot 25-40 "minute" engagment of a real battle).

Berkut37

Reaction score
Country
ll
finished

Last game with tripps...it was a close run thing and a nail biting experience to be sure, but it came down to a draw with a one point advantage to myself,thats how close it was :surprise:

I take this opportunity to thank my opponents for an enjoyable if somewhat painful experience (garryowen bagging all my halftracks, tripps sneaky tactics to own the triangle)

And to the designers.

Nicely done lads...you can have a cookie :D

Bogdan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A cookie, yes... ...but with an orange juice ;)

Palantir said:
Thanks!
Palantir: :hail:
and for Bogdan until he sees this: :banana:

As was mentioned before (somewhere), as far as balance.

We worked hard & are working hard to make all the the 3MIF scenarios fun, challenging, playable & balanced: not to mention historically "semi" accurate. (some just can't be receated completely historical and still be made balanced & playable in a snap-shot 25-40 "minute" engagment of a real battle).
You're all very welcome :)

Palantir is right about the "balance" factor. It's sometime difficult to keep an historical feeling, and make a balanced battle, where each opponent have fair chances to win. As we tend to prefer historical engagements, with real-looking maps, it's often hard to choose between those two things : fun and historical background.

Fortunatelly, the choices we made during the testings seem to be good now, as many battles end to a draw ! It shows that, until the last turn of the battle, each player can win or reverse the tide... ...this is challenging ! It's all the more difficult to make balanced battle now : the more we are "advancing" chronologically in the Normandy campaign, the more german forces are weaker... ...but we still found some nice moments to recreate in CM :devious:

About Escoville trip : hopefully, weather yesterday was magnificent ! No rain at all and a sunny sky ! I have now some photos of the famous Pegasus Bridge and Escoville to show to you here (the two places are a few kilometers distant) ! The place is recognisable and the comparison between the CM map and the real place is very surprising ! For example, the big flag in the "Triangle" is very near in CM to the original location :surprise: I even thought :"Hey, that's here where I put my two 6 pounder ATG !" LOL

I have to make some screenshots and compare them to the photos... :cheeky:

Arakis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished my battle with Aston008. Another draw, 51-49 to my Axis. Stiff resistance and superb work by the English tankers kept me out of Escoville. Extremely well done, Palantir and Bogdan. Great scenario.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Arakis said:
Just finished my battle with Aston008. Another draw, 51-49 to my Axis. Stiff resistance and superb work by the English tankers kept me out of Escoville.

Another draw! :surprise:
Is that good or bad? :hmmm:

So far the battles are very tight and determined in the last minute of fighting. I think that's a good thing! :D

Arakis said:
Extremely well done, Palantir and Bogdan. Great scenario.
:hurray:
:hail: Bogdan
:D