CMBO- "3MIF" Round 2

Bogdan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Battle lenght

Mephisto said:
I was thinking that the scenario needed more turns for the Germans to successfully take Escoville, but I'm now realizing that more turns would probably unbalance the scenario in favor of the Germans. I'll have to play this scenario some more once Bogdan and Palantir make it available after the round is over.
The old dilemma... ...how many turns to give to this scenario ?

Of course, I cannot comment your game or some tactics at the moment, but this very aspect of the scenario is important. Attacker must plan with that parameter, as time often plays on the defender's side :devious:

'Curious to see how many german leaders will win, and how... :)

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, in a game of this size, it seems that the Brits have to be concerned with where to maintain their front line and maintain their ammo count as defensive positions meet major German thrusts. The Germans have to be concerned with the pacing of their advance, which balances tactical caution with concentration of push to keep a steady approach on the objectives. Another difficult exercise in this game is the decisions of what to do behind the front lines, where to send reinforcements and how much.

I can't wait to get to the AAR's on these games. They've been very brutal and action has been occurring all over a good half of the map.

:cheeky:

GunnerC

Reaction score
Country
ll
airBiscuit said:
Indeed, in a game of this size, it seems that the Brits have to be concerned with where to maintain their front line and maintain their ammo count as defensive positions meet major German thrusts.
Interesting - as Allied defender I went for a more strung out and sporadic approach to the very front line - a bit like Napoleonic skirmishers. That on the basis that if he sent armour forwards I had a chance of knocking some out with PIAT's, and if he relied on infantry I could cause some casualties, and wear down his ammo counts. I suspect the German infantry has more trouble with ammo in this scenario.

First shots were exchanged on turn 2 ! :rifle:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bogdan- I wonder if these words from the briefings are ringing true for the players or were heeded... :devil:
:skull: :skull:

AX- "The bocage & wooded countryside is perfect for defense; it will be nasty work clearing this out so expect very high casualties once again." :scream:

AL- "We anticipate high casualties this time but we must hold at all costs." :eek:

Then again, maybe they were noted and "adjustments" made. :thumup:

Bogdan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Palantir said:
Then again, maybe they were noted and "adjustments" made. :thumup:
Yes, I think so...

By the way, attacker and defender have to expect casualties as the axis side must take and hold some objectives. Which cannot be accomplished without losses.

Berkut37

Reaction score
Country
ll
victory

Well thats my game with gary owen completed. A bad choice regarding my halftracks took the shine off it somewhat, but was very happy with the end result.

Gary Owen

Reaction score
Yeah, the outcome of the armor knife-fight in the last turn certainly sealed your victory. You had the advantage through-out though, and I only managed to briefly and remotely threaten it when I surprised your half-tracks.

GunnerC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Go for your gun !

Looks like a wild west shoot out with simultaneous fire ... :ar15:

Sadly I got the poor end of it. :cry: I'd have accepted both being destroyed.

Are late armour battles a feature of this scenario ? This is turn 28.

Boff

Reaction score
Country
ll
Latest result just in!

Another draw. Gonzo as the attacker quickly sewed up the triangle and held the two small flags from then on, the large VF was contested in savage fighting and was neutral at the end of the game. Escoville town itself was the scene of much bloody fighting, however I managed with the help of the late reinforcements to keep one flag neutral and to hold the other one. The remainder of the action was at Ferme de Pre Baron which I held until the very last turn when a determined late charge by one of Gonzo's two remaining PzIVs turned the flag to neutral. But for that I may have scraped a minor victory, however I feel a draw was an accurate reflection of the game overall. I will supply Kerry & Bogdan with some screen shots in a couple of days when time permits.

GunnerC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Pod complete

Another draw, this time myself and Gonzo. This too marginally favoured the Allies (50-45). I think he had much more left than me at the end (even if no Shermans :D ), just about all my infantry was out of ammo. His defence was very strong.

I managed to bog down and immobilise one Stug and one Panzer IV, which didn't particularly help. Anyone else had similar problems ?

GunnerC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Palantir said:
Similar "Problems?"

Are there particular concerns about this scenario?
No concerns at all - just stupidity on behalf of the Axis player (me) :argh: . I was wondering who else fell into the same trap.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's strange how vehicles can get bogged down even in "dry" weather in one scenario but then none will in a "wet" scenario.

The algorithm that controls "bogging" seems to be very moody.

Arakis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It isn't dry. Mine says 'damp'.
I managed to bog down my remaining StuG, but a turn later the crew came out and put some boards and gravel under the tracks, and managed to get it moving again.
Sticking to roads now :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Arakis said:
It isn't dry. Mine says 'damp'. :)
I meant in general! :laugh: :nuts:

Arakis said:
the crew came out and put some boards and gravel under the tracks
Are you sure they didn't rock it back & forth or just spin the treads REALLY FAST!!! :laugh:

I've just seen several Ferdinands bogdown in dry conditions, unfortunately they are still pointing right at me. :scream: