Chess, dont sweat the small stuff

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Taken from this article

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/24/plan-for-candidates-chess-matches-is-criticized/

I quote
"Sutovsky, who said he is a member of the federation committee to organize the world championship, said the matches envisioned under the current plan (four games for the first two rounds and six games for the final) would be too short. By playing them in a brief period of time, they would also not allow sufficient preparation by the competitors.

He proposed that the first two rounds of matches be best-of-six games and that the final be a best-of-eight. He also proposed that the final take place months after the initial matches to give the finalists more time to prepare and to build up more interest in the match — making it more commercially attractive to sponsors
. "

To me, this is part of the mystique (for lack of a better word) of chess. Players arguing about where to play the games (read the article, and i have some sympathy for the reason given in this case) and little things like how many games to play (4+6 verse 6+8). I'd even tie it in to the song "One night in Bangkok", chess being played in exotic european countries has always been an attraction for me. That, and simple games in NY city parks.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. Chess is more than a game, its a state of mind, a lifestyle choice...a whole bunch of things. Even when you're not playing, you can still enjoy the game! When you are a chess player, it really feels like you belong to a sub-culture.

A chess player is received with open arms around the world. He won't be lonely in any city, even if he doesn't know a soul. – Emanuel Lasker