Bypass.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Can a unit bypass by using a board edge, not to leave the playing board but just to creep along the hexrow ? Thanks for any help. I checked out rules but could not find anything.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
How would you know that the obstacle is "bypassable" along the offboard half hex?
How would the defender be allowed to fire against the bypassing unit, as there is no LOS between units on and offboard?
I would consider the part of the hex that is not on the map as offboard.
A2.6 is clear : "Units which leave the mapboard [EXC: glider contents (E8.5); paratroops (E9.41)] may not return."

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Bypass

Blimey that was quick, thanks Robin. But what if the hex is a full woods hex with an open ground hexside board edge; afterall the unit does not leave the board as it is moving within and around the woods. An enemy unit could trace a LOS to either open ground board edge vertex. Is this possible or am I missing something here ie grey matter.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Blimey that was quick, thanks Robin. But what if the hex is a full woods hex with an open ground hexside board edge; afterall the unit does not leave the board as it is moving within and around the woods. An enemy unit could trace a LOS to either open ground board edge vertex. Is this possible or am I missing something here ie grey matter.
If it is a full hex, the unit bypassing it is in the hex (moving around the obstacle), thus onboard. I see no problem, as long as the unit does not leave the mapboard.