Breaking and Entering – The Fine Art of Urban Block Busting

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You’re in a city and must get your men across that open road and into the enemy held buildings without leaving your command looking like so much cardboard hamburger. Offensive operations in urban terrain; is it a horror show for you too?

To focus the conversation and hopefully spark some specific suggestions and spirited debate I have set up some situations. If it helps to organize your thoughts then please respond with your advice and tactical wizardry organized for each situation with:

- Overall Approach i.e. your intent

- Unit and Weapon Organization, Stacking and Assignments i.e. arrangement of units, what is their specific task within the overall approach

- Specific Actions by Phase i.e. who fires at what and when, who moves and how

- Timing and Contingencies i.e. how patient are you, what amount of firepower are you willing to face in the street, what odds are you willing to risk in close combat, what do you do if you don’t get the smoke you wanted

Situation #1. You have a battle worn company of first line Germans (8 4-6-7s, 1 MMG, 2 LMG, 1 50mm mortar, 1 9-2, 1 8-0) in a city with large stone buildings across the street from a severely depleted company of first line Russians (5 4-4-7s, 1 MMG, 1 LMG, 1 8-1). The total frontage is about 6 hexes and there is no opportunity on either flank (assume that a board edge or kill stack with fire lane constrains you). The Russians have stacked 2 4-4-7s, the MMG and the leader in one hex and spread the other squads out one per hex and seem intent to duke it out in a firefight rather than skulk. It is the German player turn.

Situation #2. Same as #1 but the Russian is using skulking tactics. All Russians are currently under concealment counters and they will assault move back then advance forward in their player turn.

Situation #3. You have elements of two companies of first line Germans with engineer and armor support (14 4-6-7s, 3 8-3-8s, 2 HMGs, 5 LMGs, 2 50mm mortars, 1 FT, 1 DC, 1 9-2, 1 9-1, 1 8-1, 2 8-0s, 2 StuG 75Ls). You are facing a reinforced Russian company (9 4-4-7s, 2 MMGs, 2 LMGs, 2 ATRs, 1 9-1, 2 8-0, 1 radio, 1 45L ATG with crew, 80mm OBA). Frontage is about 10 hexes and the forces are in a series of medium and large multi-storey stone buildings with a central street separating the forces and several side streets running off it between the buildings.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are just sooooooo many variables, its really hard to define anything. I do have a few suggestions though. Scenarios are all about TIME. How long do you have to achieve your objectives? Can you afford to Prep Fire for a turn or two? If you arrive at the objective too early will you leave yourself open to a counter attack? If so, what positions can you occupy that will help you defend that objective? If you arrive too late......well, that should be obvious :)

1) Throw the lt mtr in the garbage. Since you can't shoot it out of a building and that's the only terrain you have, it's useless.

2) -2 mod leaders are stacked (yes stacked, need major firepower in +3 terrain) with MG's, all other leaders are used for the inevitable rallying of troops since crossing paved roads is hard on the troops.

3)Deploy a couple of squads for the initial 'draw fire' advances. Minimizes your casualties.

4)It is rare that you will be given 'extra' units so you MUST maximize your resources and concentrate on what is needed for victory.

5)Smoke exponent.....use it.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Under these conditions, the reply needs to be somewhat general. But I'd put one stack with the -2 leader, 16 or 20FP, to try to break one target. The rest move. Try for smoke grenades, but with that smoke exponent of 1, not going to be easy. Consider assault-moving one guy into the street, cutting down the negative mods and hoping the Russians fire everybody. Don't forget Dash. Still has the FFNAM/FFMO usually, but the half FP helps. Definitely deploy!!!!

If you have time, shoot everybody, then advance some units into the street. Dare the Russians to remain adjacent for their player turn. Otherwise, this is a very tough row to hoe.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Need more info, like what are the VC?
But, here's what I'd do....
Situation#1: 9-2 with MMG,LMG and sqdsx2 fire at Russian Leader. The fact that he's stacked with 2 sqds makes it easier.8-0 deploys a sqd, 1/2 sqds move into the street to draw fire but do so where residual won't stop the main assalts and if the Russian doesn't fire, can go into CC. Across a 6 hex front??Pray now, leave 2 sqds behind to Adv out if things go good, to hold the line if not. Assult move after Smoke call, pray,pass all moral checks, squezze testicles, move into CC, win all rolls, eliminate all the Russians, pursue everything off map.
If I'm dreaming, go big eh? :)

da priest

Reaction score
Don't forget, when the Ruskie is concealed:

1. Run your HSs out in street and pray for fire..

2. You did make some HS didn't you?

3. If he doesn't fire continue into his Location and "bump reveal" him.

4. Now you're all set for the coup! What you didn't mark your main FGs with Opp. Fire counters... geesh..:devil:

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Op Fire?? :devil:
I planned on crushing him with Direct Fire.Actually, the Sit#1 didn't say the Russian was concealled.Now, in the skulking tactic, by all means mark with Op Fire so as to fire with Full power once exposed.I lioke the idea of 'bump' exposing too.

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good stuff guys. LDM, I'm assuming that the VC require your forces to get across the street and into the enemy held buildings and that you don't have the luxury of tons of time (3 or 4 turns) to do so.

What about using armor? Do people like to sit back and blast a 75mm cannon and any MG armament, adding to the general firepower being applied to a key hex of the defence or roll up for PB fire or VBM freeze? How potent does the opposition anti-tank weaponry have to be to make you shy away from leading the advance with your armor?

If others find this thread interesting maybe they can add to it with some pictures of a map (digital shot of real board or VASL shot) and commentary.

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don't forget, when the Ruskie is concealed:

1. Run your HSs out in street and pray for fire..

2. You did make some HS didn't you?

3. If he doesn't fire continue into his Location and "bump reveal" him.

4. Now you're all set for the coup! What you didn't mark your main FGs with Opp. Fire counters... geesh..
da priest, this is where I get a bit fuzzy on the best approach. In Situation #2 you have a HS maneuver unit in the street that has just "bump revealed" an enemy concealed unit. You fire your base of fire units at that unit with Opportunity Fire. If the Opp. Fire is effective then great, the enemy is killed or has to rout away and the HS advances into the building. You have cracked open the defence a bit, maybe broken up an enemy stack or multi-hex firegroup. BUT what happens if this Opp. Fire is ineffective? Advance the HS into CC and pray, stay out in the street and pray, advance into an empty building hex (if available)?

How many HS do people like to send out into the street? Do you aim for one key objective hex or multiple hexes? Assume you control the company sized force of Situations #1 and 2.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
jasperdog3329 said:
You’re in a city and must get your men across that open road and into the enemy held buildings without leaving your command looking like so much cardboard hamburger. Offensive operations in urban terrain; is it a horror show for you too?
It certainly was when I used to play SPI's Cityfight.
It was extremely complex, I take the ASL approach to urban combat anyday. :cheeky:

Doughboy

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Armor makes everything far more complicated...

We also need to take into account the year and opposition. If you are a Russian company attacking a smaller German force in 1944 or 45, then PF & ATMM availability make aggressive armor tactics far riskier.

But assume in your example the Germans have either PzIIIs (50L) or StuGIIIs available.

In a cityfight with stone +3 TEM buildings, you can't count on an AFV's main armament to get results quickly. Quick numbers: Infantry Target Type TH# is 8, with your vehicle BU +1 and then +3 TEM. Without acquisition, you need to roll a 4 to get a hit. Maybe you can be two hexes away for a -1 for pointblank range. Acquisition, gained more quickly with the 50L ROF of 2, will help, but a hit is only a 6FP flat. The StuG with its 75 is better, but it will still take time to get acq.

My first thought with one of those vehicles would be its smoke discharger. sD6 or sD7 usually. Very nice.

Rolling your tank into bypass of the enemy is an option, leaving the vehicle in motion to make CC reaction fire (with streetfighting bonus) more difficult. But you then want to break that enemy infantry with advancing fire, as advancing into CC will give you nasty ambush modifiers from the vehicle, plus the enemy infantry will get first CC attack, thanks to that vehicle again.

Against concealed enemy infantry, it just takes longer. The first halfsquad scouts go out, and either draw fire or do the concealment stripping bump. It will often take another game turn to crack this type of line open. Just remember, these guys are expendable.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another tactic I have used( but it takes a bit to set it up)is to use Armored Assult to get the INF close to the building hex. The mods from the tank increase the survival of the INF and the threat of the tank generally forces all kinds of Def First Fire.
If the tankk has SD, drop or place Smoke in the road hex (if you can of course) and move more Inf up.
When faced with decent AT weapons I look at the odds: if its TK # is below a 5, push it. Odds say you'll survive a shot. Higher then 5, do you really need the tank to survive or to win? :eek:
When I defend against armor I try to use the weakest to highest AT weapons.Then close with INF for CC.My greatest weakness in this game: INF vs armor, I go for it too much. :D

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LDM said:
Another tactic I have used( but it takes a bit to set it up)is to use Armored Assult to get the INF close to the building hex.
... and if the enemy has powerful AT ressources (e.g. PF, PSK), you can entice him to fire at your AFV and create a Blazing Wreck : that is easily placed smoke!:devious:

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
jasperdog3329 said:
Good stuff guys. LDM, I'm assuming that the VC require your forces to get across the street and into the enemy held buildings and that you don't have the luxury of tons of time (3 or 4 turns) to do so.
I suppose You have only two Turns to go.

In this case I would PrepFire (at least 8Fp +3 IFT or better attacks - better is better). Afterwards Advance everyone ADJACENT to the VCbuilding as dispersed as You can. Next turn you threaten him with PBF PrepFire and with CC.

It is a risky approach . You need some luck during the enemy PT . But within Your predetermined variables I think it is the best approach.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Robin
If the Germans fire a Baz/PF its all good: there's alot more Russian armor around somewhere :whist:
I was under the impression it was the Germans attacking Russians :halo:
But I digress: Very true. The Germans are absolutly scarey when it comes to AT weapons.In a 'short' scen where losses are not an issue, forcing the German player to eat a back blast MIGHT be an option, though I've never played quite like that.Personaly I prefer to play Russains and let the others play the bad guys.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LDM said:
forcing the German player to eat a back blast MIGHT be an option
I was thinking about creating smoke with a burning wreck...:halo:

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You guys have put a feather up my butt! I was thinking about this all day at work!Once the German player has moved into the street, he may try another tactic, but it has its own risks: he can try to fire a PF against the building(C13.31, hitting on the 16 table,C8.31 RBv2)
Odds are small of getting it and it must be later war but if thats what it takes... and you can direct it to Inf using MGs. BUT, roll a 6 and you don't move into CC because you PIN. Toss up....
I've used this maybe 5 times in my gaming life.