Bounding First Fire

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's now been a couple of weeks since I got back and seeing Toby's WAR, I thought I might contribute my own.
The event was held at the Headlands Hotel which is by far the best venue I have been to. The place is comfortable and warm, filled with ASLers and excellent staff. Better than all the Blackpool venues and beats the Ohio venue by don't of being warm and bright....no shivering while playing!
The drive down was not great, poor weather all the way with intermittent rain and dull all the time. Although I had my wife to share the 7 hour drive it was no fun. Not much can be down about that but at least with the event being in Blackpool, attendance was possible unlike Bournemouth which is over 12 hours away.
Thursday night was spent drinking with Pete, Ian and Paul chatting about anything and everything. After midnight when Brexit reared its ugly head I bade a goodnight as I was too far gone to make any sense.

Friday morning saw the start of the competition. I was selected in the group of 6 with Toby, Mark, Mike, Stefano and someone else who I can't recall (sorry).
The first game had me defending as the Norwegians against Mike's attacking Germans. A good scenario as on turn 2 I did not see how I could win. By turn 5 I was confident of a victory but my inability to roll underv9 and his unwillingness to roll over 5 saw him take ridiculous risks to pull out the win. All I can say is, he needs to work on his apologetic face as he rolls another 3!

Next round saw the one mistake in the organisation as Martin and Simon had managed to pair myself and Mike up again! Not a biggie but the scenario I did not enjoy. It had a funky sniper rule which was all very well, but the VCs meant that both side lined up and exchanged fire for 6 turns before the Germans made a dash for the exit. Not one I can recommend. By turn 3 the defender had moved 2 units... fine if you like that sort of thing. The fact Mike's dice were still hot didn't help....0 and 2.

Third round saw me take on Stefano a visiting Italian player. This was an excellent Yugoslavia Italian scenario for whichni was able to use the new Broken Ground minor allied with increased morale on the back.
The Yugoslavs need to exit 45 VP but given they start with 46, if you include the 1 GO for each 81mm mortar, this is a fairly tall order. They gain 5 GO for capturing each of 2 pillboxes.
I set up with a forward screen and fell back into my defensive line. I saw several people set up the defence forwards so there are options in the scenario, unlike the previous one. A good game where I finally got my first win. I thinkmthe VCs are a bit steep inn the Yugoslav side especially as prisoners do not count double and in 5he end game, the Yugoslavs will take prisoners.

Saturday afternoon saw me play Bill. This was not part of the tournament but since I was not in the running and this was a new player, I checked with the organiser and made sure it would not be a problem if I did this and I wanted the chap to get some gaming in.
We played one of the new Friendly Fire scenarios as that was all I had scenario wise (I had others but they were in the boot of the car and Susan was off visiting Christmas markets etc.). I knew itmwoukd be inn the complex side for a beginner. We started at 3 and finished about 11.30. Of that time I think we might have played for 3 hours but the rest Of the time was just chatting and eating. He and his wife were Greta company and I thoughly enjoyed it. The scenario was good, the outcome n3ver really in doubt givenboth my experience and my dice (what do I always get superb dice against a beginner). Nevertheless I hope he enjoyed it and took something away from it.

Sunday morning saw me playna pick up game of Battle at Boroduno from ERG against Nick. This is a standard take the hill or exit to win scenario but I'd recommend it as a pick up game. The German sets up and moves first with his set up being a crew 50mm mortar and foxhole which goes into a designated hex.
Once again my dice made a mockery of Nicks tactics. I have never seen so many KIA results off such low odds shots.
I have to tip my hat to the man though, he hit the M55, about 15 miles from Blackpool at 5.15 on the Friday. He got to the hotel at 11. Although obviously frustratedby this he didn't blame the police, understanding that his hold up must have been caused by a fatal accident. I'm not certain I could have been so charitable.

So overall I played 5 lost 2 won 3 and really enjoyed myself. Apart from a trip to the Armenian Kebab house (You have to go there, they are fucking fantastic!) I never left to hotel. Kudos to Martin and Simon for putting together a great event. I look forwards to the next one which I will attend if I can.
I understand there is the possibility of this being a wandering tournament and support the idea.