Board 54 Hex BB2 Orchard Road

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The physical board LOS down the road, the hex center dot does not stay in the road. The "top" half of the hex, the road meanders off the center line. The VASL board is true to its progenitor.

B14.6 -- Hindrance rules do not apply to such hexes if that portion of the LOS from firer to target within those hexes never leaves the confines of the road depiction regardless of the relative elevations of the firer/target; in such cases, the -1 FFMO DRM applies to Infantry using the road to move.
When the road does not cover the hex dot completely, has the LOS left the confines of the road depiction? Does BB2 hinder a shot down the road?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Carumba. Technically, one could argue that, yes, the LOS from AA2 to CC3 has left the road depiction. Good opportunity for a Common Sense Check with your opponent - I'd say the LOS is clear.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If my opponent said that was not "down the road" I would start arguing shadows are part of the building, etc. (and likely find a new opponent)
The goal is not to win by lawyering

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When the road does not cover the hex dot completely, has the LOS left the confines of the road depiction? Does BB2 hinder a shot down the road?
Technically, yes it has.

When I proof maps with roads like BB2, this is exactly one thing I check for....so to avoid these things...

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not really sure whether the alternatives help the attacker or the defender.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If my opponent said that was not "down the road" I would start arguing shadows are part of the building, etc. (and likely find a new opponent)
The goal is not to win by lawyering
That isn't the only example.
It simply leaves the road and therefore, is a hindrance.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That isn't the only example.
It simply leaves the road and therefore, is a hindrance.
I submit that what Klas says about proofing and what Tom says about producing maps -- activities that they both do on a regular basis -- is that we should consider it an artistic fudge and that the tree-ined road is straight enough when the road enters and exits opposite hexsides. But if we don't agree before the first die is cast, then we should not play that scenario.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Artistic fudge" is pretty correct. Not done on purpose, but it's just damn easy to draw a road that curves slightly in a way that looks and feels fine without realizing there's a rules problem. Many (most?) terrain types have these things to be careful about. It really takes a team to triple-check these things. Less so than rules proofing, but nontrivial at that.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
On my actual board 54 is looks much closer than in the image in post #1. On the actual board the center dot is almost entirely within the road depiction. The LOS probably leaves the road depiction though.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The physical board LOS down the road, the hex center dot does not stay in the road. The "top" half of the hex, the road meanders off the center line. The VASL board is true to its progenitor.

Yes, a shot through BB2 is hindered. It seems to leave the road depiction.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps a "hex-specific errata" is in our future (like those level two hills on board 47).