Blazing rooftops?

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our current game of 'It's About Time', a lucky HE shot at a unit on the roof of the Chateau scored a 1KIA, which was also low enough to potentially start a fire. The question then arose, "Can a rooftop Location catch on fire?" Then came the follow-up question, "If it can, then does the EC DRM apply?"

My half-hearted search of the rooftop and fire rules found nothing that said rooftops CAN'T catch fire, and IIRC there was a statement that "Rooftops are treated as building except as otherwise noted." That implied that they burn like any other building.

For the EC question, the rules say EC do not apply to Kindling in or Spreading to a building. This struck me as not seeming right for a rooftop, but that could easily be because rooftops aren't supposed to be able to burn.

We ended up playing it that the rooftop could burn, but that the -2 DRM for Wet EC did apply.

Rules we missed? Other thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You were correct...originally. Rooftops catch fire, and EC do not apply. (counterintuitive on a wet day, but so it is. It's also the case that wet walls dont affect fire spread either, so....)

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You were correct...originally. Rooftops catch fire, and EC do not apply. (counterintuitive on a wet day, but so it is. It's also the case that wet walls dont affect fire spread either, so....)
Thanks for the reply. I guess we were figuring that the roof would be wetter, being a non-vertical surface. (I mean, in this case it's flat... but our thinking certainly didn't get that deep! :D )

In any case, since it lit despite the -2 DRM, everything works out in the end. Well, for my side, at least! ;)

John

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Rooftops B23.8 are only in play by SSR - so if they're not SSRd into your scenario/CG, they can't catch fire.