zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Final bump.

As an aside, it seems one the of the Critical Hit offerings has ASLSK compatible scenarios as well. Check out the 'Action At Carentan' scenario pack.

Casta

Could be worse...
Reaction score
All,

"War of the Rats" is in the lead.
What is it that makes this scenario appealing?

The few playings I have seen of it, it was a "defender sits and takes it" scenario; much more fun for the Germans, but balanced due to the steep victory conditions.

Zoltan,

Can you round up 61 more respondents? :)
Thanks for starting this poll.

Pax,

Casta

Don't miss the "A.S.L.S.K. Mini" at West Coast Melee VIII Feb. 3-6, 2005

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Casta said:
"War of the Rats"... a "defender sits and takes it" scenario.
The reinforcements are the major variable of the scenario, and give the Russian some manoeuver (and offensive) power.
If they come early, the German won't be able to hinder their entry.
If they come too late, they could be... too late!
VCs are difficult for the German, as he can easily run out of time. If he takes too much to flush the Russians out of the buildings, he'll lack time to reinforce his other units to conquer the other ones.
An without bypass and without dash, changing plans or crossing the road is not easy at all.
I'd give the Russians to a newbie.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I would actually give the Germans to the newbie. The first few turns can often require a powerful Personal Morale Check if you don't know what to expect.

The reinforcements arrival time can make a huge difference but I see it going the other way. Arrive to early and the Germans usually just chew you up "in order". That is, the Germans can just sweep from one side of the board to the other without leaving a rearguard. If the reinforcements arrive late, the German player has to keep some of his fighting force back from the front lines to prevent a late game run on a "rear" building.

The more mobile version is Released from the East where each side has choices to make.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've finally FTF'd or solo'd all ot the Starter Kit scenarios. Of the official scenarios, had the most fun with the two involving Soviets vs. Germans. I liked the Schwerpunkt scenario best of all, with its inevitable rush by the Americans into Erp.

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted this a while back on CSW and didn't get any reply so I thought I'd try here. I've moved beyond the Starter Kit scenarios, but I'm still curious:

I set up SK5 "Clearing Colleville" for some solitaire study. Several play-throughs later I confess I still don't have a clue what the US is supposed to be doing in this scenario.

The Germans set up in the stone buildings in the center of the board y town. They're outnumbered, and have second string leadership. But they've also got a HMG and clear fields of fire. The Americans start from west of town, and along the northern board edge. They don't get any cover beyond grain and a few woods hexes. There's a wooden building along the north edge, which the German player has the option of occupying with a speed bump squad. So what's the GI to do? Take advantage of the superior US firepower and form into kill stacks? Maybe, but any half-way competent German player will be skulking, and the grain will prove as much a hinderance to the US player's shots as to the German's. These are 1st line US squads, so they've got 6 morale and an ELR of 3--even a NMC on a kill stack has the potential to wreak havoc. Did I mention the game is five turns long? So the US can't afford much Prep fire. Smoke you say? Nice for crossing streets, but less useful when there are three or four open hexes that need to be traversed under fire. Even assuming good die rolls to place the Smoke, the 2 MF penalty to place and the +1 cost to enter will slow the US advance to a crawl even as it shelters it--not viable under such a strict time table.

Sure the US kill stacks could get lucky dice, force the German forward defenders to break early, and then storm their way into town. Sure the German could malf the HMG. But that's not what I call a repeatable strategy. ROAR has this at 6-4 US, so someone must be doing something right. Enlighten me?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Use the Half Squads to draw fire. Send single squads up to place smoke in key hexes. What is a key hex? Hexes whose hexlines will cover the advance of later squads. Sometimes those LOSes are overlooked.

Move in for close combat. If the German is skulking he won't be taking those +0 shots in his PFPh. If he is firing, he is exposed to DFPh from you large, spread-out FGs.

I find the first clump of buildings falls easy enough, it is fighting for the last building or two near the German reinforcements that make or break the game for the Allies.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Landslide victory for S2 War of the Rats. :laugh:

Designed by Ken Dunn and Brian Youse a hearty round of applause from the WHQ ASLSK community.

:clap:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Interesting also that SP111, the least easy to obtain SK scenario for SK players (since it involves purchasing an additional magazine), polled in 2nd place! Must be good!