Beserk Charge and Prisoners

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

In the following situation, with no other enemy unit in LOS, will the beserk squad charge the hex with the prisoners?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mglouie said:
Look at the definition of 'KEU' in the index, that's where you'll find the answer. Prisoners are not KEU's.
Yes, this was erraticized at some point I would guess, as A20.4 assumes that prisoners could be considered a valid target of a charge, and in fact seems to say that they must be if in the same location. I had not known or had forgotten this point.

da priest

Reaction score
Brian W said:
mglouie said:
Look at the definition of 'KEU' in the index, that's where you'll find the answer. Prisoners are not KEU's.
Yes, this was erraticized at some point I would guess, as A20.4 assumes that prisoners could be considered a valid target of a charge, and in fact seems to say that they must be if in the same location. I had not known or had forgotten this point.
Strange here's the section--

A20.4 MASSACRE: Only SS, Japanese, Partisan, Russian, or berserk Infantry/Cavalry--if not in Melee--may eliminate an unarmed unit in their Location not in the act of escape. They do so in their fire phase as if using a SW by declaring that unit as their target, which automatically eliminates them. Any berserk unit in the same Location with prisoners, whether guarding them or not, will at the start of that fire phase eliminate those prisoners (thereby losing their berserk status). If not in the same Location with prisoners, a berserk unit will ignore them in determining the closest enemy unit to charge. ...

Note last sentance...

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems clear enough to me. If prisoners are in the Berserkers hex, the Berserkers will kill them, otherwise (if NOT in their hex) they ignore them. If the only unit is a prisoner unit in the Berserkers LOS, the prisoner is still NOT a KEU and the Berserker will lose his Berserker status after charging the last know Location that did have a KEU in it.

Am I missing something?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mglouie said:
Seems clear enough to me. If prisoners are in the Berserkers hex, the Berserkers will kill them, otherwise (if NOT in their hex) they ignore them.
I guess I should have been more clear, assuming you mean location because the above is only sometimes true if in the same hex (e.g. different levels of a house):

ASLRBv2 said:
A20.4 If not in the same Location with prisoners, a berserk unit will ignore them in determining the closest enemy unit to charge
Since the earlier rule states that a beserk unit charges a KEU, there is no reason to put this sentence in the ASLRB. . .

The sentence implies that a beserk unit in the same location with prisoners will charge the prisoners, but that cannot be per the definition of KEU. I would guess that this line is in the ASLRB because (I think) it is possible for a guard to go beserk. What happens then? If it happens in DFPh/PFPh then the guard will massacre during the next fire phase. If it happens in the MPh, the guard must charge. What happens to the prisoners during this charge? (also, what happens when the charging guard passes through a location with prisoners?)

This part of the rule seems to be meaningless based on the definitition of KEU. My guess is that originally, in ASLRBv1 (without errata), the definition of KEU was different, or that the target of a charge was different, making this sentence necessary.

Does that make sense?

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I meant Location, shame on me for not speacking in ASL lingo, I know better then that. :)

I would say if the the gaurd goes Berserk before having a chance to kill them in a Fire Phase, he would just 'drop' them ala SW, although that doesn't make much sense does it. I mean, he'll kill them in a fire phase but ignore them in a movement phase? Weird.

As for moving through their hex, same thing, the rule says 'Fire Phase' so I would say the Berserker ignores them.

I would also ask if the Berserkers would be marked with the appropriate Fire Phase marker when eliminating prisoners in the Fire Phase, and if so, would any SW with them be subject to the marker also?

A can of worms we've opened here.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mglouie said:
I would also ask if the Berserkers would be marked with the appropriate Fire Phase marker when eliminating prisoners in the Fire Phase, and if so, would any SW with them be subject to the marker also?
Per 20.4 the massacre is done "as if using a SW", so I would think that a full squad could still fire a SW or IFP, while a HS would be done.