ASLSK first contact

Phil G

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi,

Tomorrow, I'm teaching my nephew how to play ASLSK ( and my first try at ASLSK). In Starter Kit #1, which scenario will be the one that will hook him up to the game ( I plan to let him play the attacker - I've always preferred the more active role of the attacker myself).

Phil

Last edited:

BuckeyeMiniMe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should probably begin with S1 - Retaking Vierville. The scenarios are in a sequential order which add levels of "extra" steps/items. S1 is very basic. One must learn to crawl before they walk! :)

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BuckeyeMiniMe said:
You should probably begin with S1 - Retaking Vierville. The scenarios are in a sequential order which add levels of "extra" steps/items. S1 is very basic. One must learn to crawl before they walk! :)
I have always disagreed wit this "craw, walk, run" theory of teaching ASL. It is a crutch that retards player development and instills unnecessary fear/awe of ordnance and use of vehicles. I say teach basic infantry, ordnance and vehicles in a combined manner from the very start and you will have a better player, faster. Throw the player in and watch him swim!! You will be amazed. I have always taught ASL this way and I assure you it works. Give your newbie the benefit of the doubt. If a player is interested in tactical wargaming to the extent that he is willing to learn SK then that person is smart enough and ready to grasp thte concept of the gun and the tank.

I cannot wait for SK #3!!

Evan "ASL trainer" Sherry

Phil G

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Evan,

The newbie player is 12 years old, and hasnt played many non-computer games. I think if i want to corrupt him into playing ASL one day, I better start it slow.

I'm pretty sure he has what it takes to play ASL, but I dont want to scare him away with the first game.

Last edited:

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
S2 War of the Rats

Phil,

S2 War of the Rats would be my choice. I know it worked for me, though I'm not 12 years old, you know :) It was years since I had played the old Squad Leader, and an ASL veteran walked me through VASL procedures while playing the game.

Two game turns and I said to me: Well, tomorrow I have to call the game shop to see if they have the ASLRB2 in stock... And I made the leap (I'm making the leap).

War of the Rats has some SW, and I've always heard it's a thrilling scenario to the end.

miguel.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Having used the SKs quite often to teach the system, I allways go the progressive way.
With a young guy of 12, it seems very important to go step after step.
If I understand Evan well, he won't make much use of the SK system : even the SK3 has limited rules compared to the full swing ASL.
Now, it is true that I met some players that never went further in the RB than chapters A and B - and perhaps C. That is a shame and a nuisance when you look for a scenario to play, as most of them are combined arms situations (and this could be a good argument to Evan's "let'em swim" pedagogy).

Strabo

Reaction score
Country
ll
Evan Sherry said:
I have always disagreed wit this "craw, walk, run" theory of teaching ASL. It is a crutch that retards player development and instills unnecessary fear/awe of ordnance and use of vehicles. I say teach basic infantry, ordnance and vehicles in a combined manner from the very start and you will have a better player, faster. Throw the player in and watch him swim!! You will be amazed. I have always taught ASL this way and I assure you it works. Give your newbie the benefit of the doubt. If a player is interested in tactical wargaming to the extent that he is willing to learn SK then that person is smart enough and ready to grasp thte concept of the gun and the tank.

I cannot wait for SK #3!!

Evan "ASL trainer" Sherry
Yeah! You should start with a full Red Barricades Campaign...if you're a wimp.

Real ASL players would start with a full campaign of BRT, a campaign so complex MMP has to put out a special guide for it.

Phil G

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We're going to play S1, or maybe S2 depending on him ( nephew). I'll let you know how it went. With luck, we'll have a new recruit for the game.

Thanks for your input.

Phil

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Go with S1.

My boys have got both starter kits and are looking forward to number 3. The reason I put S1 forward is it gives them something they will enjoy, besides shooting at you, movement.

My boys play almost a game a day now, and then they come over and see the game I am playing, and they get all pumped. They are digging through their rule books looking for the blaze rules, as they think the wheatfield on fire and how it spreads is pretty cool. The really positive thing about this, (a) I am a dick as I know those rules are not in the SK, (b) they are reading more, which cancels out (a) :clown:

Phil G

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Aftermath

My nephew and I played scenario S1. He played the American Paras, and I the German.

The issue was decided on the last half turn. He lost, due to numerous german units advancing in one of the victory hexes, in close combat.

He had fun, and is asking for more.

I guess i can say Mission Accomplished.:joy:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That is good news!
Cannot wait until my 7 y. o. son is old enough to handle the SK rules...
As for now, we play Memoir 44 and sisters (Battle Cry, C&CA)...