ASL Tournament #1 - Operation Overlord

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AnewNewbie has had to withdraw from Operation Overlord due to personal reasons, therefore BobEury will take a bye and advance into Round 4.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Ladies

Why not let a replacement trooper get AnewNewbies spot to fill in for him ?
Yeah, I want to play...

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Commissar Piotr said:
Why not let a replacement trooper get AnewNewbies spot to fill in for him? Yeah, I want to play...
Thanks for the offer, Peter. On this occasion though, I decided to offer Bob the choice of a bye or of me finding a replacement player to play in Round 3.

The main reason for this was that given the swiss format, the idea in everyone carrying on has been that as the tournament progresses you end up playing an opponent who has won/lost just as many games as you have. ie. the players get closer in ability. That would be kind of upset if you took AnewNewbies place, since win/loss wise... for example... you are 10:3 on the ladder and Bob is 1:8.

Bob is getting ready to go on vacation anyway, so the bye works quite well for him time wise.

But I do note your interest. Perhaps we could think start thinking about tournament #2 shortly... I might take a poll in the main forum though to see what everyone thinks. ie. whether to start sometime soonish (August perhaps?) or to wait for the current tournament to finish first.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RE: Giving a greenback a chance

Reepicheep said:
...ie. the players get closer in ability. That would be kind of upset if you took AnewNewbies place, since win/loss wise... for example... you are 10:3 on the ladder and Bob is 1:8.

But I do note your interest. Perhaps we could think start thinking about tournament #2 shortly... I might take a poll in the main forum though to see what everyone thinks. ie. whether to start sometime soonish (August perhaps?) or to wait for the current tournament to finish first.
As one who has a chance to win in the third tier I agree with Andrew's decision....

Hey bring on tournie #2....

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Four out of eight games have now drawn to a close, with the remaining games due to finish within the next 10 days. Then we'll move into the final round of Operation Overlord.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In result 7 of 8, Minaya is advancing into Round 4 with a win recorded against Stubble Jumper. They were unable to complete their game, and with Stubble Jumper advising that he was heading away on holiday for 3 weeks, he graciously decided to concede the win for tournament purposes. On his return, they'll finish playing the to determine the actual result.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Round 4 - "Trapped!" (16th August - completion)

Points = 3
Reepicheep (Americans with balance) defeated Chas Argent (Germans)

Points = 2
Nate Stapf (Germans) defeated ToxicShock (Americans with balance)
da Priest (Germans) defeated Minaya (Americans)
alanp (Germans) defeated Johnny Canuck (Americans)

Points = 1
Stubble Jumper (Americans) defeated Jeff H (Germans)
karl (Americans with balance) defeated CPRad (Germans)

Points = 0 / 1
Bob Eury (Germans) defeated Priest (Americans)

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The fourth and final round of our 1st Warfare HQ ASL Tournament, Operation Overlord, has now kicked off with the final results from Round 3 having confirmed a probably win to our new Section Leader, Chas Argent, against Nate Stapf.

In Round 4, we have seven games of "Trapped!" being played... seven games rather than eight because we've had two players who have had to withdraw for various reasons.

Reepicheep and Chas Argent are playing in the Grand Final, for the 1st and 2nd place medals. As mentioned earlier, with the mid-way change to a Swiss tournament format, we're going to have three players finishing in 3rd equal position and earning a 3rd place medal. They'll be the winners of the games ToxicShock vs. Nate Stapf, Minaya vs. da Priest and Johnny Canuck vs. alanp.

With the final round of "Overlord" now in progress, thoughts are turning towards our next tournament. We may also put out some survey questions or a poll or two to get your feedback on some of the format/organisational details. Chas and I have some ideas we're throwing around, and we'll keep you posted on any developments.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The first result for Round 4, our final round, is in. Priest has been having computer problems, with his only computer that is capable of running VASL having crashed out of action. That results in a tournament win for Bob Eury, his opponent in Round 4. Obviously the German equipment Bob was had deployed on the battlefield proved itself far superior to the US equipment Priest had at his disposal! ;)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And just to hand... yesterday, on the 60th anniversary of the German surrender at Calais, alanp's Germans managed to overcome Johnny Canuck's Americans to produce a counter-historical result! :)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
da Priest finished strongly with another win, beating Minaya in the final round of Operation Overlord.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How's everyone coming along? I know, "Trapped" can be long. . .

Any more results?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good question. We don't have any more results yet, but are heading towards some. A few of us have been on holiday or away for various bits and pieces and that's one reason why. Here's a recent summary of the games still in progress:

Stubble Jumper (Americans) vs. Jeff H (Germans)
Approaching the end of scenario 1 - looks like there will be a 2nd scenario to play.

ToxicShock (Americans with balance) vs. Nate Stapf (Germans)
In the early stages of the 2nd scenario; possibly finishing shortly.

karl (Americans with balance) vs. CPRad (Germans)
Turn 2 of the 2nd scenario - looking close.

Reepicheep (Americans with balance) vs. Chas Argent (Germans)
Still early days in 1st scenario - we took time out with Chas organising the Mini tournaments and being away at two ASL tournaments. I've had some good dice to far, but still a way to go before we see what will happen.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Stubble Jumper's Americans prevailed over Jeff H's Germans earlier today. So that just leaves us with three more games still in progress before we bring this one to a wrap. :)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This was the grand final of Operation Overlord, with Chas Argent and Reepicheep, unbeaten in the tournament so far, going head to head. We bid for this one with the Americans gaining the balance (lowered German ELR). Some early results went strongly to the Americans, with some KIA and K/# results eliminating some of the probing scouts.

Unfortunately, we were unable to finish the game out to its conclusion because of real-life time concerns on Chas' part and Chas offered his resignation to wipe the slate clean and wrap up the tournament rather than dragging it out over a significant portion of 2005.

That leaves us with just two results left to come, one of which (CPRad and Karl) will also be concluding very shortly.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In a very tight encounter, Karl's Americans just managed to prevail over CPRad's Germans. As Karl summarised in the gamereport,

The first round Larry decided to attack my eastern flank (top of the board) at my weakest point. I was expecting him to move through the tress in the west (bottom of the board) and use these as cover. Luckily for me he left a hole and did not cover the entire length of the board allowing me to launch a flank attack from the west. My motars did there deadly work and in the end Larry was reduced to below 10 squads. I lost three squads, an mmg and a leader, these losses would come to haunt, and hurt me in the second round.

With a thinner line I tried to cover for all situations. Again I put my strongest force to the west. This time Larry attacked here. Again he did not cover the whole board and I could rush my eastern defence down upon him. This round was harder. He slowly pushed through my defence line while breaking and destroying my squads. My motars where not has effective with one team being killed while the other broke and could not be repaired in time. I set up a last line of defence to the bottom west of the board looking for some good open ground kill shots. In the end I managed to hold on by my nails as I broke just enough of his squads for him not to get the magic ten.

A very close game that would be an example of not counting the chickens as there where several times I almost chucked in the towel.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
In a very tight encounter, Karl's Americans just managed to prevail over CPRad's Germans. As Karl summarised in the gamereport,

Yup must say I really enjoyed this one ... very close and one I'd like to visit again ... err with maybe a different opponent : )

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In a game that has taken a while to finish for various reasons, Nate Stapf's Germans prevailed over ToxicShock's Paratroopers in the final game of Operation Overlord. With this win, Nate joined da Priest and alanp in 3rd place overall and was awarded the Victory Medal - 3rd Class for his efforts.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the tournament in its various stages. I hope you had an enjoyable time fighting in these four D-Day actions involving the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions and in playing a variety of different opponents.

Till next time,
Andrew