Area Fire with Big Guns

Ryan Marsh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This might be a dumb question, but....

Why would one choose area fire over direct fire?

Can I get some top examples? Thank You in advance.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You probably mean Area Target Type, not Area Fire. Area Fire is the halving of non-ordnance FP for various reasons. Area Target Type is a Target-Type option for ordnance. Because both rules involve halving of FP (one of non-ordnance FP, the other of ordnance FP) and the word "Area", it is very common to mix up the two. Don't do it.

Also Area Target Type can be direct fire (which is not an ASLSK term, I believe). In ASL direct fire is all fire (using any Target Type) by ordnance except MTRs. One can choose the Area Target Type over the Infantry Target Type or the Vehicle Target Type.

The Area Target Type is better at longer ranges, especially by weapons that use red TH numbers. It allows acquisition against a concealed unit/empty hex, which in ASLSK is not that useful, but can be used to prepare a hex where you anticipate the enemy will move. The Area Target Type can affect both infantry and tanks in a hex. The Area Target Type can give some guns a (slim but better) chance of affecting a tank when using AP against it would not work or is not available. Area Target Type must be used by MTRs.

JR

Ryan Marsh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the correction! :)

Ok, I didn't even think of Infantry and AFVs in the same space, and having to choose who to fire at, this gives the option to hit both, if I am reading you correctly?

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Try doing the math on To Hit numbers in some different situations.

You'll find that sometimes, like when firing at a vehicle with Crew Exposed, the Area Target Type with HE rounds may be the better choice when "regular" AP rounds on the Vehicle Target Type have a hard time hitting.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, I didn't even think of Infantry and AFVs in the same space, and having to choose who to fire at, this gives the option to hit both, if I am reading you correctly?
Yes. I can't think a time when this was a really useful option, but it is there.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You'll find that sometimes, like when firing at a vehicle with Crew Exposed, the Area Target Type with HE rounds may be the better choice when "regular" AP rounds on the Vehicle Target Type have a hard time hitting.
Typically in this situation using HE on the vehicle target type will be better than the area target type. You will be much more likely to hit the target (unless you are firing at crazy long range) and the attack against the crew is at full FP.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
HEAT (if available) is even better with improved penetration and still a strong collateral on the crew.

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Typically in this situation using HE on the vehicle target type will be better than the area target type. You will be much more likely to hit the target (unless you are firing at crazy long range) and the attack against the crew is at full FP.
You're absolutely right.
I just want to emphasize my point that the numbers may surprise you and a good player knows which target and ammo type to use in a given situation.

Ryan Marsh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So it is all about looking at the charts and figuring the best TH, and usually going with that?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So it is all about looking at the charts and figuring the best TH, and usually going with that?
In general you wouldn't look at a chart during the game, as the choice is usually relatively simple. Vehicles are almost always better targeted using the vehicle target type. At long range you generally use the Area Target Type vs infantry. Because there is (almost) no concealment in ASLSK you will generally use the Infantry Target Type vs infantry or guns at shorter ranges, i.e. the ranges you will usually experience in a game. Against an empty hex you would probably use the Area Target Type because the only reason to target an empty hex is to gain acquisition, and only the ATT can gain acquisition against an empty hex.

Obvious exceptions are that MTRs and Smoke/WP must use the Area Target Type. There are other cases where you might deviate from the general principles, but you won't encounter them often. As you become more experienced you may want to reflect on when you might not follow these general guidelines, but these will get you through at least 80% of your games. I have already mentioned a few of the situations where you might choose differently.

In ASL units can be concealed, and you can't gain acquisition against concealed units when using the infantry target type. When firing at a concealed infantry/guns players frequently use the area target type so they can gain acquisition.

JR

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In Starter Kit, yes, most of the time. You'll learn the modifiers after a few scenarios, it will become much easier and faster after that.