• ASL and Other's systems

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hmmmm... Let's say I play ASL and GMT and some other system(s)? :D :devious:

OK, so lately it's been a combination of ASL and Dungeons & Dragons. Used to play games from GMT, GDW as well as AH/VG. :confused: :(

Oh well - I guess ASL + other is what I should pick! :cool:

- H

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

About 75% ASL and 25% other games like Afrika Korps or Stalingrad. Old games but still fun and very easy to teach prospective gamers with.

Mitch

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL only for me.

I've given a couple of others a whirl, but ASL ruined me for any other wargames after I got hooked on it. :eek:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play wargames on Friday night with wargaming buddies. I have a separate group of friends that do not play ASL, but will play any other wargame, euro, fantasy game. I play euro games on Saturday night with my wife and two other couples.

I also collect multi-player games. I also try to play game systems where you only need to learn the rules once and then can play many, many scenarios (like ASL). Some of the systems I play are:

1) We the People system
2) Area (Turning Point: Stalingrad) system
3) The Gamers SCS
4) Avalanche's WWII War at Sea
5) Avalanche's Panzer Grenadier
6) AH/MMP's Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (Stonewall in the Valley)
7) GMT's Revolutionary War series

Games I've played lately include Napoleonic Wars, War: Age of Imperialism, Anzio (4 player Diadem scenario), Game of Thrones, Runebound and Return of the Heroes. In a few weeks we're going to give Seven Ages a try.

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
I prefer ASL above other games but will play anything. Recent other games I have played are:

TCS - Black Wednesday (The Gamers)
Napoleon (Columbia Games)
War of 1812 (Columbia Games)
Zero (GMT)
Midway - Lightning War (Decision Games)
Up Front (Avalan Hill)
Lots of Euro type games (Runebound, Pueblo, Santiago, Elfenland, Settlers etc)

I game where I can :)

hanzelmans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Napoleonic Title

I am looking into a Napoleonic title for an alternative to ASL, although my opponents would probably tell me to hit the ASLRB and learn the basics instead!

I researched the La Bataille series, as Matt above, but it sounds like it would replace ASL due to its learning curve.

Are there any decent regimental-level series games that someone could recommend?

Thanks,
Steve

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,

At that scale there's not much else: Adam Starkweather is working on La Belle Alliance, which looks tremendous, but that will be in the oven for a while longer. There's also Wellington's Victory (SPI/TSR) and Ney vs. Wellington (Quatre Bras using the same system in an old S&T). I think they're more accessible than La Bat, but tend to draw mixed reviews.

If you look a step up there are more options: both Triumph and Glory (Berg, GMT) and the Napoleonic Brigade Series (Gamers/MMP) have their adherents. I've also heard good things about the SimTac games, though I haven't tried these. Finally, Brien Miller's Eagles of the Empire area movement games are a personal favorite.

But don't let the shako fall down over your ASL eyes.

Beltmann

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played many wargames over the years, but spend most of my limited time playing ASL. I always liked UP FRONT, TURNING POINT STALINGRAD, and AMBUSH from my younger days. My wife and I usually try to get couples together to try new games (i.e. Settlers)—people always say how much fun they had, and didn't realize these "kinds of games" were around. I'm happy to tell them that there's a whole different exciting world out there that doesn't include Monopoly, checkers, or cards...

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For my non-ASL friends, GMT titles like 'Paths of Glory' and 'Reds!' are about as complicated as they like to get. We used to do some 'Advanced Third Reich'/'Rising Sun' but houses/jobs/families have put that on hold. They laugh at rule books with up to four decimal places in them. . . I've tried three times to get one of them into ASL but the rulebook is too daunting for him. Yes, he's got the SK but doesn't seem interested--I know, seems strange doesn't it?

You guys who have wives who game--ANY kind--are lucky in my mind. Our wives would never think of joining us. Well, actually, we have played poker with them ;) but that's it.