Adding Minimal UK Units To v4?

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think you might find there are a lot more Brits playing TacOps than you think. I'm currently playing a PBEM with a fellow Brit and over the years have played numerous pbem games with fellow Brits. True since Battle Front took over marketing of TacOps you can no longer buy it over here but it used to be readily available from Strategic Plus in Middlesex.

Gary

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The patch with UK equipment will not be finished by this weekend as I previously projected. As often happens, once I started adding things I got more interested and decided that I should do more than I originally intended. I am now shooting for the weekend after this.

So far I have added the following UK items.

APC, CVRT Samaritan Ambulance
APC, CVRT Spartan
APC, CVRT Sultan Command
APC Warrior IFV
APC Warrior IFV + thermal sights
APCW Saxon
ATGMV, CVRT Striker
FSCV Warrior OPV.
Infantry Squad P8
RECV, CVRT Sabre Recce
RV, CVRT Samson Recovery
Tank Challenger 2

Rifle 5.56mm L85
MG 5.56mm Minimi
LAAW LAW80
LSW 5.56mm L86
GL 40mm AG36.
Cannon 30mm
Gun 120mm L30
ATGM Swingfire

Rame

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Awesome idea everyone.

I'm looking forward to what the Major comes up with. Thanks again MajorH.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Gary said:
Switch Back,

Roland has never been part of the British Army orbat. Do you mean Rapier?

Gary
Yes I did mean rapier, I put down Roland because I was pretty certain we used it, but thanks for correcting my mistake ;)

Also on your other point of the number of Brit playes, im really suprised at that... I dont feel so special anymore :cry:
anyway thanks again for correcting me :D

Terry

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ahh, the Spartan CVRT, brings back memories of West germany back in the late 70's, early 80's. That was the vehicle I spent most of my time in. It was the vehicle used for 2 MFC's in the Mortar Platoon of an Infantry Battalion, plus of course a driver. I remember it running brilliantly for the whole of the massive Crusader exercise then breaking down after Endex when we were on our way home!

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Broke down did it Melvyn !

It was probably just an excuse to stop at a local Beer Keller. :devious:

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Great news Major H, thanks. Will you be producing any scenarios for solo play?

Gary

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
XRAY said:
Broke down did it Melvyn !

It was probably just an excuse to stop at a local Beer Keller. :devious:
Funnily enough, it stopped right outside a long driveway that led up to a farm, and while we were waiting for Bluebell (REME) to get to us, the old farmer walked down the track with a tray full of beer for the 3 of us :) Needless to say, we couldn't allow the driver to drink, so we had his share too ;)

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Will you be producing any [UK] scenarios for solo play?

Probably not for v4. I expect that I will make UK versions of some of the existing scenario themes for v5.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Major, is there any chance you might the Challenger I or the Chieftan MBT, or is the Challenger II it? Those might come in handy for Desert Storm scenarios as I believe they were in service there (at least the Challenger I was).

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Major, is there any chance you might the Challenger I or the Chieftan MBT... Those might come in handy for Desert Storm scenarios as I believe they were in service there (at least the Challenger I was).
Sure if someone will save me the work of SWAGing their armor values into "TacOps armor".

If a Challenger 2 in TacOps has the following armor values in millimeters (Front/Side/Rear) then what should the values be for Challeger 1 and Chieftan in TacOps? The logic here is not what someone thinks the values would be in the real world using some other standard of measurement but rather what the values should be in comparison to what has been arbitrarily stated as the TacOps values for the Challenger 2.

If Challenger 2 provides 600 / 410 / 115 vs kenetic energy and 1300 / 890 / 115 vs chemical energy.

Then Challenger 1 would be what?

Then Chieftain would be what?

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Major H and Don,

At the time of Desert Storm Challenger I was in service, however Chieftain was no longer in operational service. That said the Chieftain hull was still in service as an AVLB with the Royal Engineers and as a ARV with the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers. In fact even the venerable Centurion saw service in Desert Storm as an AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers).

cheers

Gary

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
If any of you UK guys have a source for the Chieftan/Challenger I info, I can't think of a better time to submit it to MajorH! As I am currently staying at a hotel, I don't have access to much of anything right now.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This was posted today:

PG said:
The Challenger 1 and Chieftain use the 120mm L11A5 cannon. Challenger 2 uses the 120mm L30A1, which is more powerful.

L11A5 penetration values:
L15 APDS, 355mm @ 1000m, 305mm @ 2000m, 1965
L23 APFSDS, 450mm @ 2000m, 1984
L23 Jericho 1 is L23 with new charge, 1991 emergency measure
XL26E1 Jericho 2 is L26 round from L30A1 with lower pressure round, ~550mm, also a round rushed into service in 1991

Not sure where I got these from, probably Tanknet:
Chieftain:
Glacis 120mm@70° (350mm LOS), Hull Side 38mm + 15mm Aluminium, Turret Front
200mm@60deg, Turret Side 130mm@?deg
Chieftain with Stillbrew armour (1986 on):
Glacis 120mm@70° (350mm LOS), Hull Side 38mm + 15mm Aluminium, Turret Front 55cm KE, 73cm HEAT, Turret Side 130mm@?deg

Chieftain had the driver in a semi-reclining position, reducing the hull
height, enabling more armour to be piled on the front. Likewise the turret
has a large diametre turret with a massive slope

Figures from the 1980s have the Challenger 1 with 500mm against KE and 800mm against CE from the front. Some say these seem a little low, but of course no one can provide the real figures.....

What else do we need for these ones?

Might as well post the Stormer/Starstreak SAM as well.

PG
Not sure what other data is needed.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
From the old Tankers forum, some reasonably informed speculation on armour for the Chieftan & Challenger 1:

Challenger 1:

Armour (F/S/R)KE 580/220/100
(F/S/R)CE 1000/520/200

Length: 8.327m, Width: 3.518m, Height: 2.95m
Weight: 62000kg Has thermals, not amphibious.

Chieftian 5 w/ Stillbrew Armour & TOGS:

Armour: KE 390/140/50
CE 770/240/90

Length: 7.518m, Width: 3.504m, Height: 2.895m
Weight: 55000kg Has Thermals, not amphibious

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
MajorH, any word on the status of the update? Take as much time as you need. We can be patient.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
MajorH, any word on the status of the update? Take as much time as you need. We can be patient.
Could be in a couple of hours or in a couple of days. I am having my morning coffee and trying to resolve a difficult decision

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bad news - good news. I will not be releasing the v4 patch today (mostly new UK and GM units). After much coffee and thought I have decided to add to the free v4 patch the 50 or so AU/NZ unit types that were put into TacOps ANZAC v5 (a military licensed version of TacOps). That will take a few days. I am giving myself a no fail deadline of posting the patch not later than Friday, 2 July.