AAR: Ramullah

FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Ramullah is een scenario van David, recent gepubliceerd in de library van de PlayersDB.

Israel has discovered a nuclear base in Venezuela, which is producing nuclear materials for Iran, the scen is set in 2016.

I played Israel, which has placed a large number of long range SSMs on a caribean island. These are under AI control and fired after about an hour of game time on several Venezuelan/Russian airbases and the nuclear complex.

I was commanding 36 Israeli F/A 18 to defend the base. Intell reported up to 200 Venezualand and Russian planes which might seek revenge after the missile strike.

David delayed the SSM strike using a link plane. This is a neat trick, but enabled me to see the evemy Su-30s taking off armed with Alamo, Amos And Adder missiles. The latter two types outrange my AIM-120C7 on the Super Hornets and certainly my standard AIM-120 on the older Hornets.

The SSM strike was impressive, but netted only a few airbase towers and SAM emplacements. As my planes have no authority to overfly Venezuela, nor air to ground ammo, this meant that the vicconds cannot be fulfilled.

My remaining task was to defend the base and SSM launchers against counterattack. I sent 12 hornets and super hornets to a point 300 nm from my base, as I knew Tu-160 Blackjacks were based in Venezuela and they can carry 300 nm standoff missiles.

Initial skirmishes netted some F16s, and the Fencers were detected behind a thin screen of Flankers. The Fencer raid was decimated, and the hornets also shot down several Flankers, with no own losses.

Next, the Flankers came in force, and long range missile engagement were common. My second squadron of hornets took over from the first just as the distinctive Blackjack radars were detected. As it was imperative to intercept these fast, lowflying bombers as far out as possible i had to disengage from the Flankers which cost some planes. The Blackjacks were well screened but 6 were brought down together with more Flankers and Fulcrums.

Barely had second and third squadron RTBed, and a further coordinated Fencer and Blackjack was detected, this time prededed by many Flankers. I detoured some hornets around the Flankers, and used the few remaining airborn Super Hornets to lure the Flankers away. Again the tactic cost me some planes, but the older hornets were able to engage both groups of attackers, going in with sidewinders to finish them off.

Some Flankers had avaded my screen and were approaching my airbase, delaying the launch of reinforcements untill thez wondered into my Patriot envelop and got killed.

At this point i saved, having lost 9 planes against 125 enemy ( including 18 Blackjacks and 30 Fencers).

Its a very creative and large air to air scen, where the AI is well programmed to make life hard on the hornets.

Freek

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nice AAR.

I agree due to the fact that the SSMs are on a separate side not controlled by the Player, this situaiton makes it very difficult to achieve that particular ViCond. Adding some air-ground munitions to the Israeli air base might help, but those are pretty long odds as many of those aircraft are still needed for defence.

FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I agree,

Not sure the hornets have the range to reach the primary targets.

With the SSMs on an AI control, the designer would have to ensure the SSM strike is successfull. Maybe that can be achived by reducing the number of SAMs and fighters on both sides. Even for 2016 the forces in Venezuela are more than impressive, as are the number of units Israel has moved to its expeditionary force without notice. With fewer fighters and SAMs on both sides the game might be as challenging and fun air to air scen as it is today. I would maybe have added some tankers too. An alternative would be not to have the nuclear installations in the vicconds.

Freek