A10.51 Rout Direction

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A broken unit must rout to the nearest building or woods hex. It may not rout to another terrain that provides a -1 DRM for Rally too (i.e., trench, pillbox). Right?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A pillbox can be the rout target....

B30.5 ROUT & RALLY: A pillbox is equivalent to a building for both rout [EXC: Known enemy units; see 30.7] and rally purposes—except that a broken unit inside a pillbox is never forced to rout (even though it can be made DM in the normal manner).

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ah. Okay. Thank You both. So, a pillbox is a possible destination, but a trench is not.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There have been some recent scenarios released with SSRs that say a trench can be treated as rout terrain. Perhaps playing these has influenced your memory.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think a unit could use Low Crawl to enter a trench as long its movement is in the direction of a valid rout target location.
Yes of course. A unit can use Low Crawl to enter a trench. Low Crawl can be used to enter any terrain (even Open Ground) (EXC: Marsh, Water, non-dry stream). To do that a unit does not have to use Low Crawl. It may enter a trench anyway to avoid Interdiction (see A10.51). But my question was about the destination hex (where the unit has to rout towards) and not the terrain it could possibly enter. But thanks for Your input!

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Ah. Okay. Thank You both. So, a pillbox is a possible destination, but a trench is not.
Yep. However sometimes I might have a DM unit in a trench system that I want to rout out of its location but not out of the trench system. I would then use Low Craw. It's helpful to keep that in mind when placing trenches with rout direction in mind when possible.

Last edited: