A Couple OBA Questions

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I have two (and change) questions concerning OBA:
1a) After correcting a FFE:2 three hexes, it drifts one hex and lands adjacent to units out of LOS to the observer but the base level of the FFE:2 is in LOS. Can the FFE: 2 be converted if I draw a black chit or does the target units have to be in LOS, whether concealed (unknown) or not (known)?

1b) Was it legal to attempt correcting at all if those units were out of LOS? I think I may have been targeting other units that were in LOS.

1c) What if there was the potential of exposing HIP units with that FFE:2? If the question 1a answer is “no you can’t” is the conversion now viable and just tough luck to the out of LOS enemy units mentioned in question 1a?

2) If I get battery access with my FFE:C can I do corrections and convert to a FFE:1 like the normal steps involving SR/FFE:1?

Thanks,
PaulS

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
2) - No. The only way to go from an FFE:C to an FFE:1 is to leave it in place. If you Convert it to an SR, you can Correct that SR, but you can't Convert it after Correction. (Disregarding any pre-registered hexes.)

Edit - removed by incorrect comment on question 1a.

Last edited:

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1a When you place the AR are there units Known to the observer in/adjacent to that hex (not where it drifts to)? Or are there no on board units in all 7 hexes in/adjacent to the AR? If either is the case you don't need to make an extra draw for the concealed/unknown units just because the FFE drifts. Also if you have to make the extra draw for where you place the AR you won't have to make another extra draw for where the FFE drifts.

This is one OBA cheese move, correct an FFE:2 so that the AR is 2 hexes from units that would cause an extra draw, but don't place it so close to those units that you actually have to make the extra draw, and hope that the FFE drifts in the correct direction. Another related move is to use harassing fire in a similar situation.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback.

Klas, I don’t understand what you are saying with your respnse to question 1a. Question 2 was how I was going to play it.

EagleIV, from what you are saying it looks like it is best to place the AR out of LOS of as many/all enemy units so as to not having to make an extra draw. How would the Observer know to request an AR location like that when they can’t see anyone although as the player I can see the opponent’s out of LOS units on the board? I thought it was the other way around and that was when you needed to make an extra draw. Need my lawyer to decipher these OBA rules.

PaulS

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback.

EagleIV, from what you are saying it looks like it is best to place the AR out of LOS of as many/all enemy units so as to not having to make an extra draw. How would the Observer know to request an AR location like that when they can’t see anyone although as the player I can see the opponent’s out of LOS units on the board? I thought it was the other way around and that was when you needed to make an extra draw. Need my lawyer to decipher these OBA rules.

PaulS
Actually the best place for the AR is in/next to the main point that you wish to break especially if the observer can see an enemy unit Known to him in/adjacent to the AR hex. Sometimes that isn't possible so you might consider placing the AR in a hex that is 2 hexes away for where you really want to FFE to continue falling, but has no enemy unit in/adjacent. It is usually better, especially when correcting an FFE:2, to place the AR in the location you really want to hit so that if it drifts, that hex will still be in the FFE blast radius but sometimes you can place the AR where you can avoid the extra draw and still have it likely to land in a good spot.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EagleIV,
Thanks for these tips. We are playing Venturi Effect (FT244) to work on our OBA rules/strategy as both sides have OBA. I (Ami) just clobbered his right flank with one fire mission and a series of lucky roles (except accuracy [that didn’t matter as it turned out]).

We recently played a scenario of K.’s design where I as the attacker had little choice but to muster my troops in a wood prior to my finally push for the victory location. We were then under the impression that if he couldn’t see my units he couldn’t drop his HE concentration into those woods. I built my strategy around that notion. One FEE would almost surely have won the scenario for him. Once you grasp the OBA rules there is still the matter of applying the proper strategy, just like the rest of the game.
THX again,

PaulS

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EagleIV,
We recently played a scenario of K.’s design where I as the attacker had little choice but to muster my troops in a wood prior to my finally push for the victory location. We were then under the impression that if he couldn’t see my units he couldn’t drop his HE concentration into those woods. I built my strategy around that notion. One FEE would almost surely have won the scenario for him. Once you grasp the OBA rules there is still the matter of applying the proper strategy, just like the rest of the game.
THX again,

PaulS
I don't know the scenario, but this sounds like a great place to drop a harassing FFE. You can place the AR 2 hexes away from him in a location you can see and hit him in the woods (with -1 for Air Burst) even though you can't see him.