#80 Goodbye Cruel World

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom is one hell of a map-maker. He is working on some HASL maps for Yankee ASL as we speak. They are coming out beautifully. He is a master map maker, he really is.

As for a self-balancing scenario, it's a bit like a self-driving car. Given how busy garages are fixing all previous vehicles, I am not so sure anything that self-fill-in-the-blanks is a good idea. Too many variances. Will it know when an elite player and a new guy reports a result? Will it take into account "learning curve" scenarios? Many other examples too. A lot less dangerous than a malfunctioning self-driving vehicle, but still a problem to consider ;-).

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aw shucks, Carl, ya big galoot.

After watching Dave and Martin's Fireside Chat, I wanted to contribute somehow, and they took me up on the idea of a map. I don't know how much it'll remind anyone of Norway, but I do like how Martin's basic idea is playing out. It's looking like a long village at the base of a 3-level hill (and climbing up a bit), which I don't think has really been done on an 8x22 geoboard. Enjoying it quite a bit, and appreciating D&M's patience and good humour as I worked through some rough drafts.

It's funny nowadays how "the Hatten Feel" seems to be a thing, at least in my mind. It's a certain spacing of buildings, with some Orchards, Walls, and Hedges to break things up. Very few ingredients, but with the proper spacing, you get a very playable map. I find myself wanting to achieve that at times, and I think the IR1 board has some of that feel.

I do need to point out that the long hill edge (A10-GG10) actually isn't geomorphic with the Korea geoboards, but hopefully that won't matter. The other 3 sides are standardly-geomorphic. One of the early draft versions had a narrow river running the length of the board but exiting the short edges in nonstandard locations and I gotta say, it really made me think that "river geomorphism" in ASL was a bad idea. You can do so much fun stuff if you aren't forced to use up A4-A7 and GG4-GG7 with rivers going offboard, and we rarely butt two river boards together anyway.

I may lean on D&M to allow the second IR board to have a nonstandard River; the freedom is awesome.

Another minor correction or whatever - I darn well want to at least provide the Patrons with a PDF version of the IR1 board that is suitable for printing; that's a lot more fun than just a VASL version. And hey, maybe these will be like ASL collector's items or something - only available to the Discerning Few. I also want to try doing both Winter and Summer versions because that'd be an interesting technical challenge.

In terms of naming board artwork, I've thought about adding a board- specific overlay to VASL board 3, adding labels to various terrain features in honor of various ASL contributors. I know 3M2 is too big to be a "House", but IMO there's no more famous building in the game and it seems like it should be called The Youse House. Shrug.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dave,

Another way of thinking about the scenario balance is maybe to improve ROAR?

Import the ROAR data onto the scenario archive. Match that to the players AREA rating. Hopefully that is possible - I have to use my name to enter data onto ROAR.

Then give the scenario a balance based on the difference between the player AREA ratings. Ask Indy about that bit - he's the mathematician :)

If you do that you will have done the hobby a great service - because sometimes I look at the ROAR data and go - really?

Just a thought - please feel free to ignore it.............

Many thanks to you both once again for more great content.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another way of thinking about the scenario balance is maybe to improve ROAR?

Import the ROAR data onto the scenario archive. Match that to the players AREA rating. Hopefully that is possible - I have to use my name to enter data onto ROAR.

Then give the scenario a balance based on the difference between the player AREA ratings. Ask Indy about that bit - he's the mathematician :)
Nice idea. The archive has its own rating system that is updated in "real time" (ie if you add a bunch of historical playings all future ratings are tweaked based on those results) so technically I can use that. So - I guess what needs to happen is look at the expected result (which I assume is a function of current balance - at that time - and rating). Let me chat to Indy and get working on something!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
get working on something
You might want to put a date filter on it as well? The person using the archive can look at playings 5 years old or under - or whatever date range they choose.

One reason for MMP updating their old scenarios is that they state play has changed over the years. So allow users to select their own date ranges to generate the balance result for the scenario that they select.

You could also allow the user to set which AREA ratings they want to look at. So they can exclude the best or worst players.

Last edited: