3D printed trays

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am only asking for opinions on 3D trays.
1/4 trays hold six counters, and 1/3 trays hold eight counters.
Which is the preferred size?
I know I will have to play around to get the setup that I want. I am just trying to get a very general idea of how to outfit one Raaco box.
I am putting my info counters into counter store trays.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have used the Raaco-sized 1/3 (height) trays and do like them quite a bit, especially for the 1/2" counters where I prefer to give each counter its own compartment. 8 of any support weapon is sufficient for most scenarios, as well as 8 of each crew type (I leave out extra crew beyond 8, placing the extra 4 or so back into the original module box).

For the 5/8" counters (guns & vehicles) I also like to give each type its own compartment, even separating the AFV mg variants. Only a few exceptions need two compartments, such as the 251 halftracks, one of the Shermans types, and the T-34/85s including the Forgotten War ones and a few others.

I've only begun looking at the 1/4 trays, and think I will shift over to using them for the vehicles & guns. However, I'm undecided on using the 1/4 trays for storing the 1/2" counters, as I'm not sure if I like to spread out the identical SW counters (such as LMGs) over two compartments. Also, the 1/4 trays seem to not stack as well/feel flimsier compared to the 1/3 trays so I'll have to test this out a bit more. Stacking four of the 1/4 trays atop each other seems to leave more of a gap at the top (about a mm or 2) than stacking three of the 1/3 trays.

Note that I use the standard Raaco A75s for squads and half squads, and my information counters go into BoxBox trays for easy access during play.

From top left clockwise: 1/3 tray, A75, 1/4 tray, 1/4 tray.

1/3 tray next to 1/4 tray:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Very nice, I like my Plano's but if I was younger and not on SS I would have loved to start with these, makes finding stuff quite easy, nice, efficient system.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a 27-compartment container from the Container Store. I am using two of them for my info counters
Oh okay I use these also from TCS. I like the hinges and hasps. Very secure.28570

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Luv me some Box Box. Thirty-eight of these "trays" holds an entire ASL counter mix with easy access and visibility - no need for labels. Each tray is about 6.5" wide, 13" long, and 1" deep. Japanese infantry storage attached.

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Luv me some Box Box. Thirty-eight of these "trays" holds an entire ASL counter mix with easy access and visibility - no need for labels. Each tray is about 6.5" wide, 13" long, and 1" deep. Japanese infantry storage attached.
Honestly, there is no real need for labels in any such storage system, be it Box Box, RAACO or otherwise. It is more a matter of "can do" rather than "must have".

The exception to this would be "upright" storage of Guns & Vehicles for which appropriate flags are required.

I still believe that RAACO with its combination of Handy Boxes, Assorters and inserts is the best storage system.

That said, with the proliferation of 3D printing and the improvement of the tools & technics paired with sinking prices, I think that the heyday of the RAACO A75 and A78 inserts is over. These inserts will be replaced by 3D prints, while the Assorters and Handy Boxes will remain.

von Marwitz

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Very nice, I like my Plano's but if I was younger and not on SS I would have loved to start with these, makes finding stuff quite easy, nice, efficient system.
Yes, it is an expense for sure. I have all my stuff in Plano's and am migrating them into Raaco's. The Plano's are WAY more secure. I could literally toss them into a wall with significant force and they will keep shut and no counters will spew over into other compartments. BUT they take up way too much space nowadays. My Germans were in 2 3107's and 3 3600's. Now all that is into only 2 Raaco 55 assorter 55's with room to spare. The Organization is way better in the Raaco's , but you have got to be careful with them when transporting. I'm sure they can handle a drop, but the counters will co mingle. The lids are just not as secure as the Plano's.

When I get it done, I'll shoot a picture of the footprint comparing the Raaco's alongside the abandoned Plano's.

I have to 3D print the A75 Dividers myself now that I broke Derek Ritter's Printer.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it is an expense for sure. I have all my stuff in Plano's and am migrating them into Raaco's. The Plano's are WAY more secure. I could literally toss them into a wall with significant force and they will keep shut and no counters will spew over into other compartments. BUT they take up way too much space nowadays. My Germans were in 2 3107's and 3 3600's. Now all that is into only 2 Raaco 55 assorter 55's with room to spare. The Organization is way better in the Raaco's , but you have got to be careful with them when transporting. I'm sure they can handle a drop, but the counters will co mingle. The lids are just not as secure as the Plano's.

When I get it done, I'll shoot a picture of the footprint comparing the Raaco's alongside the abandoned Plano's.

I have to 3D print the A75 Dividers myself now that I broke Derek Ritter's Printer.
I bought some black 8x11.5 for lack of a better word felt paper. I trimmed it to fit it does a great job of stopping the migration.