1Km East Front scenario?

B-snafu

Reaction score
Figured this might be a good place to ask.

I know Erik Nygaard has made some 1km scenarios (market, crete, wessel) & I enjoyed those. Does anyone know if there is a 1 Km East Front scenario out there or if anyone has attempted something like it?

I think there was a discussion in the past (can't seem to find it now) about how a Barb scenario would be too massive to employ at that scale--but what about a smaller subset of that battle--something like Pnz campaigns "Smolensk" size limit or even just a scenario on Hoth or Guderian's Pnz Gruppe 2 or 3 during that timeframe? A 1 Km blitz movement & envelopement scenario?

(Given those parameters-probably wouldn't be a fun go for a human 'russian' player but possibly enjoyable as human 'German' vs russian PO.--What you think PO master Sil?:devious::D)

Too tech deficent to make my own--just curous if anything at that scale is already out there yet.

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I know Erik Nygaard has made some 1km scenarios (market, crete, wessel) & I enjoyed those. Does anyone know if there is a 1 Km East Front scenario out there or if anyone has attempted something like it?

I think there was a discussion in the past (can't seem to find it now) about how a Barb scenario would be too massive to employ at that scale--but what about a smaller subset of that battle--something like Pnz campaigns "Smolensk" size limit or even just a scenario on Hoth or Guderian's Pnz Gruppe 2 or 3 during that timeframe? A 1 Km blitz movement & envelopement scenario?

(Given those parameters-probably wouldn't be a fun go for a human 'russian' player but possibly enjoyable as human 'German' vs russian PO.--What you think PO master Sil?:devious::D)

Too tech deficent to make my own--just curous if anything at that scale is already out there yet.
TOAW maps are limited to 300x300. 300 km wouldn't cover the entire front at any period.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score

Brian;

Sil HAS done one mod for the east front at 7.5 kmph, called Barbarossa at Tactical scale. It's a GE PO mod, but might be playable as the Axis. Piero Falotti was the original designer, and the mod was done with permission.

Only problem: Even in Toaw III there's some 'really' long computation periods (at least on my P4-2.4gig mghrz/512mb ram system) between turns while the engine figures out supply etc etc......

On the other hand, IT'S HUGE!

Your best bet is pm'ing Silvain for the latest version, as last I knew, he was still tweaking things.......which if so, you might 'playtest' it, eh?

:yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy:

Another scenario (this one at 5 kmph) by Brian Topp can be found @ Game Depot ( http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4596 ).....
"Fall Blau version 1", which I've not looked over yet in any serious manner.....

As Bob says, one can't expect the whole front at this scale, but this is still probably a 'huge' scenario...222x120 hexs at regimental level isn't small, eh? :smoke:

Perhaps you should state exactly what it is your looking for in terms of game-play, eh?

:devious:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
A 1 KM scenario of the Russian Front can't cover the entire scene of course... The Kursk bulge may fit

For Elmer to put up a decent defense, sufficient unit density and plenty of formations is needed cuz even with a well set PO he's bound to leave gaps

About the mod of Piero Falotti's tactical Barbarossa, this may be revised once patch 3.4 is out. BTW Elmer will digest the monsters a bit better

Lzard: I don't think Brian Topp's Fall Blau you mention has a PO set...there are moblie supply point house rules in place

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Well, my bad, LOL!

Like previously noted, I hadn't really looked it over......:shy:

This kind of reminds me of an old humor article in SPI's Strat and Tactics...

"World War II @ 1:1 scale....Game ships in 3 railroad box-cars..."

Assuming that toaw had an unlimited map size, I wonder how many DVD's the entire Eastern Front @1kmph would ship on.......

:clown:

B-snafu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I had played the Barb & blau scenarios & enjoyed them even though I got my but whipped by a talented opponent.

Was just thinking more of a limited scope east front scenario just concerning possibly Pnzr gruppe 3's part of the Smolenzk encirclement in a localized individual battle setting instead of the entire front action (as Sil said something maybe just being the battle of kursk--though really didn't think of
the PO & balance issues).

Also never would of thought that......."BTW Elmer will digest the monsters a bit better".......that's an interesting tidbit to know.

Btw Sil, if you ever need a playtester for one of your scen just let me know (though I might have to wait to commit till I finish some of the games I have going right now).

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Btw Sil, if you ever need a playtester for one of your scen just let me know (though I might have to wait to commit till I finish some of the games I have going right now).
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind