CE and Smoke Grenades Attempt

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know there are a couple of threads relevant to this but I got lost in all the back and forth and I don't see a relevant Q&A.

It is the start of a BU AFV's MPh. He is staring down almost certain death as soon as he declares a start MP. Ah ha, he thinks, I'll just pop the hatch and toss some of these smoke grenades out. Maybe it will distract him enough that I can escape.

Can I do this prior to declaring the start MP? In other words, can I say "go CE, attempt smoke grenades, start (DFF)" in order to get the smoke up or is it "start (DFF),go CE)?

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I started a thread on using a sD while declaring a motion attempt not long ago - the answer then was no, all you can do is start during the opponents MPh...

Seems odd you can go CE and lob a smoke grenade but I suppose that's ASL..

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I started a thread on using a sD while declaring a motion attempt not long ago - the answer then was no, all you can do is start during the opponents MPh...

Seems odd you can go CE and lob a smoke grenade but I suppose that's ASL..
You de lare a motion attempt in your opponents movement phase. You can use sD as your first movement point. It still costs movement though.
You could go CE and throw smoke grenades as your first movement point, use sD as your second and then start. Of course, that's 3 mp used if all successful.

grabowbe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could go CE and throw smoke grenades as your first movement point, use sD as your second and then start. Of course, that's 3 mp used if all successful.
According to 13.35 VEHICULAR SMOKE GRENADES you cannot attempt both in the same MPh.
A vehicle may attempt to use vehicular smoke grenades or a smoke dispenser, but not both, during the same MPh.

grabowbe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure you were given the right answer at that time. You can use a Vehicular Smoke Dispenser during the opponent's MPh. And there is no prohibition stated for being in Motion [sM are affected by moving/non-stopped].
13.2 USAGE: During the opponent’s MPh, a smoke dispenser usage attempt can be made following any MP/MF expenditure by an opposing unit in the vehicle’s LOS as if it were intervening with Defensive First Fire.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am not sure you were given the right answer at that time. You can use a Vehicular Smoke Dispenser during the opponent's MPh. And there is no prohibition stated for being in Motion [sM are affected by moving/non-stopped].
13.2 USAGE: During the opponent’s MPh, a smoke dispenser usage attempt can be made following any MP/MF expenditure by an opposing unit in the vehicle’s LOS as if it were intervening with Defensive First Fire.

Thanks, I'll look that up !

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
can I say "go CE, attempt smoke grenades, start (DFF)"
Wouldn't successfully placing the Vehicular smoke grenades in its own MPh allow D1F since it costs 1 MP? If you go CE and fail, then there's no MP cost. In other words, you'd say "go CE, attempt smoke grenades", roll dr. If success, say "1 MP" and let your opponent D1F. If failure, it's CE and hasn't spent any MP yet.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are, of course, correct. In my case, I was intending to move whether the grenades were successful or not. Well, I got the smoke but not from the grenades. :p