GRENADIER´24: ASL Tournament, Germany, CANCELED!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Note the new date! GRENADIER 2024 is held in October instead of the usual November date.
Chek here for further information and updates.
Good luck with the event! Will anyone make it to both Grenadier and ASLOk?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
It's not impossible, but you would have to be keen. The last day of Grenadier 2024 is the first day of ASLOK 2024.

I'm not that keen.
Maybe you can borrow Taylor Swift's private jet. She made it back in time for the Superbowl. Last scenario at Grenadier would be at 06:00 U.S. time which would give you enough time to make Dave Ginnard's picnic that afternoon in Cleveland.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Maybe you can borrow Taylor Swift's private jet. She made it back in time for the Superbowl. Last scenario at Grenadier would be at 06:00 U.S. time which would give you enough time to make Dave Ginnard's picnic that afternoon in Cleveland.
You really can show up at ASLOk anytime during the week and still have a great time.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That's the spirit, Ray. You can write ASL history😀

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That's the spirit!

Maybe during the flight, you can get in a game with Taylor like the other guy recently for a Taylor Swift defeat. ;)

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, now what is a first-time visitor to Germany supposed to do to keep himself busy for a few days? :p
Well Bruce, if your plans for the visit still stand, I'll keep you busy. As I am also hit by the cancellation of GRENADIER, we might get in a few games besides some sightseeing.

Recently at the supermarket, I happened upon a historian who lives in my town. I asked him if he is willing to give you a guided tour in the area. In ASL terms, "Operation Veritable" comes to mind. I remember there is some ASL scenario featuring a Sturmtiger depicting an action close to the Hochwald gap near Villa Reichswald. That area could be interesting as well. I seem to recall that the historian featured on some English language TV documentary for the battles here, but I could not find it offhand.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Well Bruce, if your plans for the visit still stand, I'll keep you busy. As I am also hit by the cancellation of GRENADIER, we might get in a few games besides some sightseeing.
Oh, I'll be there!

Recently at the supermarket, I happened upon a historian who lives in my town.
Man, Germans keep their stores stocked for all eventualities.

I asked him if he is willing to give you a guided tour in the area. In ASL terms, "Operation Veritable" comes to mind. I remember there is some ASL scenario featuring a Sturmtiger depicting an action close to the Hochwald gap near Villa Reichswald. That area could be interesting as well. I seem to recall that the historian featured on some English language TV documentary for the battles here, but I could not find it offhand.
Interesting!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Oh, I'll be there!
Splendid! So that part is solved.

Man, Germans keep their stores stocked for all eventualities.
I am still embarrased, though, that for some time during the Corona lockdown, the Germans hoarded toilet paper and there was none to be had for a few weeks. Toilet paper of all things!
I seem to recall that the French instead hoarded condoms. Now, that's the spirit!

Interesting!
I have been on two tours with the man. One covered a nearby former ammunition factory surounded by a forest full of storage bunkers that the Allies blew up after the war. The factory itself blew up during the war in an accident. You are still not supposed to move off the paths in the forest, as shells might lie around.

The second tour was dealing with the the area on the western bank of the Rhine near Wesel, where the British and US offensives were headed for because intact bridges existed. The western bank was crammed with German artillery which Hitler had forbidden to withdraw until it was too late. On that tour, a vetaran of the 116th "Windhund" Division was present relating how he managed to miraculously escape the bottleneck. It was quite sobering to listen to him.

von Marwitz