J223 "Latecomers", go home !

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
Tuomo, this is an interesting design question. Firstly, I am not a fan of exit VP scenarios (the whole 'end-of-the-world' concept of a board edge is weird [to quote the Magic Man from Talladega Nights ... 'now-you-see-me!' 'now-you-don't!']). However, if forced to play an exit scenario, I don't mind combining building VPs (near the exit area) with exit VPs. It is similar to exit VP scenarios that also combine CVPs, of which there are a number of scenarios. If you think this design concept, generally speaking you need to roll through (and KIA) a number of defenders camped near the exit area.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hill 621....fiction...

And if no one else has said it....
"it's a game" ;)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Are you talking about "sound design principles" and things like spreading the objectives out so that the players need to allocate scarce resources to various objectives. I was thinking more about the tanks being hilarious.
I actually prefer these as you have some leeway in HOW to attack.

consider the inverse....ONE building or objective ....where are all the defenders going to be? withing a 4 hex radius of that objective...and MMP doens't make 1" maps for us to use in standard scenarios.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played J223 Latecomers as the French and it was decided on the final CC DR. Defending a building, 4x247s advanced into a VC building containing a 457. The French got the 'bush. Decided to go for 2-1 on one 247 and won. That meant the attackers would go 3-2 (+1) needing a 4 to win. He rolls 2,2 -- SSOB (shoot! Son of a Botch!). The best laid plans...

Really enjoyed the scenario.

Last edited:

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, you are correct in thinking that the vehicles entering a road hexside are exempt.
The SSR needs a tweak for clarity.
The real question is what is the purpose of this SSR in the first place. The Italian AFVs are low ground pressure and fully tracked. Their Bog DRM is 0. They will only Bog on a 12. This SSR introduces extra dice rolling for very limited if any game effect.

I do agree with Laurent. The scenario designer should be able to identify the units involved given all the resources available today.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"They only Bog on a 12."

Red MP requiring a mechanical reliability roll ... a 12 at the wrong time can cost a player a game. Probably not going to run a platoon through the orchards and roll 3 or 4 times as the shortest distance because the risk is real.