Is an entrenchment a quasi- in hex bunker?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Playing a scenario last night where the occupants of a Pill Box need to get out in order direct fire to the rear of the PB. In the hex I place an entrenchment for that eventuality. I assume I can leave the PB directly into the entrenchment or must I spend one MF to move out of the PB and another to move into the entrenchment?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Only if a Trench.
Not if a foxhole.
See B30.8.
Not sure that answers the question. I want to move directly to the entrenchment which is in the same hex as the PB. Do I pay one or two movement points to enter the entrenchment. If two, then I am exposed to fire with no TEM.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you'd have to spend 1 MF to move between the pillbox and the in-hex Trench (B27.54, 30.4, 30.8). The units would get the B27.54 benefits for moving from one connecting trench to another since the bunker is treated as a trench (B30.8).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Not sure that answers the question. I want to move directly to the entrenchment which is in the same hex as the PB. Do I pay one or two movement points to enter the entrenchment. If two, then I am exposed to fire with no TEM.
"Entrenchment" designates either Foxholes or Trenches.
Which one are you speaking of?

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I think you have to spend 1MF to move out of the PB and another MF to enter the FH, being exposed to defensive fire with FFMO (if in open ground) and FFNAM (if assault move was not declared). (B30.4 and B27.4)

In order to move out of a PB without exposure to defensive fire, the PB must be a bunker (B30.8) which specifies a trench (and not entrenchments).

It is an extension of B27.54 to include a pillbox connection that allows movement along trenches without exposure to defensive fire modifiers (FFMO / FFNAM).

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If it is a Trench, you can move directly from the Bunker into it for 1 MF.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I think you have to spend 1MF to move out of the PB and another MF to enter the FH, being exposed to defensive fire with FFMO (if in open ground) and FFNAM (if assault move was not declared). (B30.4 and B27.4)

In order to move out of a PB without exposure to defensive fire, the PB must be a bunker (B30.8) which specifies a trench (and not entrenchments).

It is an extension of B27.54 to include a pillbox connection that allows movement along trenches without exposure to defensive fire modifiers (FFMO / FFNAM).
Oops, sorry. I should have said foxhole. Your point is why I am asking the question. The examples you cite refer to entering the hex, then paying to enter the foxhole. In my example the unit is in the same hex as the foxhole which for me begs the question whether I can enter the foxhole without paying the extra one MF thus exposing myself to fire before entering said foxhole.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Oops, sorry. I should have said foxhole. Your point is why I am asking the question. The examples you cite refer to entering the hex, then paying to enter the foxhole. In my example the unit is in the same hex as the foxhole which for me begs the question whether I can enter the foxhole without paying the extra one MF thus exposing myself to fire before entering said foxhole.
There is no possibility to enter a Foxhole directly from a Pillbox IMHO. You have to exit the Pillbox and on this expenditure, you are vulnerable without any Fortification/Entrechment benefit. For the second MF expenditure, you enter the Foxhole receiving its protection.

Of course, during the Advance Phase, you could advance out of the Pillbox into the Foxhole.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The only time you can go from a pillbox to an entrenchment in the same hex using just 1MF and not be exposed to FFMO / FFNAM is when the entrenchment is a trench and not a foxhole as specified in B27.54.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I surrender but will take the advice from "Georg Cornelius Adalbert von der Marwitz" and wait until the advance phase. This came up recently in the game (Nameless Hill) about which I recently posted on this website.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I surrender but will take the advice from "Georg Cornelius Adalbert von der Marwitz" and wait until the advance phase. This came up recently in the game (Nameless Hill) about which I recently posted on this website.
My compliments. If you would have handed over a bottle of Château Cheval Blanc of the right vintage, the Oberst would chivalrously have let you enter the Foxhole during the MPh without a shot being fired - upon his honour.

von Marwitz