Can a HIP unit be voluntarily revealed at ANY time?

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can the DEFENDER choose to reveal a HIP unit, under a concealment counter, at any time, rather than just the instances quoted in A12.32?
For example, suppose a Gun attempts to fire SMOKE at an apparently-empty hex (concealment terrain). The EXC in C6.2 says that Case K does not apply. So if the DEFENDER has a HIP unit in that hex, could he choose - after the shot is announced but before the dice are rolled - to reveal the HIP unit under a '?' counter? This would make Case K apply and the shot more difficult.
Another example: Could a DEFENDER choose to reveal a HIP unit at the start of his opponent's MPh, in the hope of persuading the ATTACKER's units to take another route (where other more dangerous HIP units might be hiding)?
Sorry if this has already been asked; I've searched but can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In your first example, I think revealing the hidden Gun after the Smoke shot is announced is/should-be NA. Even so, if a LOS has not been checked or dice rolled I think an announced action can be "withdrawn" anyway.

Per a Q&A dealing with a similar situation: "ASL is not a race to see who can roll the dice/speak faster".

Second example is ok.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Another example: Could a DEFENDER choose to reveal a HIP unit at the start of his opponent's MPh, in the hope of persuading the ATTACKER's units to take another route (where other more dangerous HIP units might be hiding)?
This one seems legit, but certainly falls in the category of mind games. If my opponent chooses to reveal a HIP unit without being forced to by the rules, then he's obviously trying to influence me, for his own gain. Of course he might have the more dangerous HIP units the other way, but all I know is that he does have something right where he shows the previously HIP unit.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one seems legit, but certainly falls in the category of mind games. If my opponent chooses to reveal a HIP unit without being forced to by the rules, then he's obviously trying to influence me, for his own gain. Of course he might have the more dangerous HIP units the other way, but all I know is that he does have something right where he shows the previously HIP unit.
As long as it's not between an action has been announced and completed [EX: A move to a new hex or SAN activation and resolution of that sniper attack] it is possible to do so.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Isn't the first instance also pointless? Case K would not apply to SMOKE fired at a hex, would it? The applicable target would be the hex, which is not concealed.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Isn't the first instance also pointless? Case K would not apply to SMOKE fired at a hex, would it? The applicable target would be the hex, which is not concealed.
It was asked in the initial post whether a hidden unit could be placed onboard under a "?" counter - then Case K would apply.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That's a design decision to counter the omniscient player - it's easier to place smoke in a hex that you, as the player, only believe would be a good place to put HIP units, than in a hex where you, as the player, know the opponent wants you to believe there are units.

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks all, some good points. I particularly like the "ASL is not a race to see who can roll the dice/speak faster" quote.