Sox and Yanks

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. Drew has the highest OBP on the team at .408 (ignoring Casey as too few ABs) and leading off is all about getting on base.
  2. You can make a case that batting your best hitter lead off is ideal as it gets him the most ABs. Many a lineup simulator will produce that actually.
It's atypical, but it's not dumb. The best argument to not bat him first is that he's been their best hitter on the season and they'd be better served with him hitting 3/4. Man, I liked it better when J.D. Drew was the pariah of all Sox fans...
Exactly! best OBP and more chances to crank one. Essentially, he's the clean up man for the bottom of the order.

His 1998 Strat card is what Strat-ball is all about. If you played it an entire season, he'd probably hit well over 100 Homeruns. :smoke:

J D Drew's 1998 Strato card is awesome.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched PhatBoy tank his last couple years in Boston; I don't easily forgive quitters, nor overly praise 'what-might-have-beens'
Well I can respect that viewpoint. My perspective on Vince Carter totally changed after he so blatantly quit on Toronto. It wasn't as clear to me that Roger was dogging it for Boston or just got out of shape and was not able to perform at that high a level and fixed those things when he went to Toronto. Neither are admirable of course...

Seeing how the sterling personalities Clemens and Bonds have brought into the limelight, I'll respectfully disagree. Pete needed the same sort of help Steve Howe did, yet never, despite many early warnings, received the sort of understanding that a cocaine addict did. The hypocrisy of MLB is staggering.
Well Pete never admitted he had a problem (until recently) and it's hard to rehab a guy who refuses to admit there's an issue. Not to mention there are rumblings about Pete's gambling habits that go back into the early '70s. The commish office investigated Pete at one point (maybe '73 when he won the MVP) so it's less than clear that a helping hand wasn't offered, but Pete refused.

But the major difference in the sins is there's a posting in every MLB dugout/clubhouse that says "Thou shall not bet on baseball" and Pete violated that sacred rule. There is no analogous "Thou shall not be a drunk or on Cocaine" sanctum that Howe violated. Perhaps that's not just, but it's the way it is...

It's still a cheat, though, if it wasn't all those juicers would be proudly proclaiming their usage instead of lying and covering up or wagging their fingers at congress.
You mean like Canseco & Ken Caminiti did? And some other lesser players have come forward and dealt with it - the former Expo who's now a sports talk host and was on the list did - blankin' on a name. Henry Rodriguez maybe? But you're right that no HOF candidates have admitted anything as they have a vested interest in not, i.e. their HOF candidacy.

What Pete did MAY have altered the integrity of the game-the possibility the gambling had no effect on his game never gets mentioned; after all who wanted to win every game more than Pete Rose?
It's true - it's not definitive that Rose's actions did alter a single game. 'Course they may very well have. I'll also point out that as soon as the Reds ridded themselves of Rose, they won the World Series. Coincidence? Perhaps. Maybe Rose just was a bad manager, but maybe...

what juicers do by it's very nature alters the integrity of the game. PEDs have long been considered cheating-ask Ben Johnson and oh, so many of those Soviet weightlifters and X-country skiers-even if the byzantine hierachy of MLB and the Player's Union didn't have a policy in place.
It affects the integrity, but it's an odd effect - it's guys trying more to win while Rose's potential transgressions result in the opposite. It's a fine line to me that we condone those that work out more and eat right to perform at a higher level, but those that cross an imaginary chemical line to improve their performance are unethical cheaters. And it also begs the question of where do you hold Bonds if 75% of the league was also juicing? Was he just leveling the playing field between himself and the majority of the league? We'll obviously never know percentages (and I don't think it's that high, but...)

The saddest thing is you can't erase nearly two decades of MLB, but, apparently, you can exile a player from the game not on the basis of what he did between the lines, but what he did as a manager.
So far Pete's gotten the same treatment as the PEDs guys. No HOF & while none of them have been formerly banned from baseball, you don't see a lot of 'em working for teams as managers/coaches either. And as I noted earlier, there's a pretty good case to be made that Pete was betting on games he played in too. After all he was a player manager until '86. I'd bet on Pete having gambled on baseball as a player too. 'Course that aspect hasn't been proven.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So far Pete's gotten the same treatment as the PEDs guys. No HOF & while none of them have been formerly banned from baseball, you don't see a lot of 'em working for teams as managers/coaches either.
Check out the treatment Bonds is getting right now. Are you telling me that nobody can use him? Just for a few months? With the playoffs or WS on the line and nobody will take him? :shock:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check out the treatment Bonds is getting right now. Are you telling me that nobody can use him? Just for a few months? With the playoffs or WS on the line and nobody will take him? :shock:
I've been a little surprised your beloved Yanks haven't panicked and tossed big $ at Barry to come in and DH. 'Course that would force Giambi to field, well try at least...

But Bonds' absence from the league has been interesting to say the least...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I can respect that viewpoint. My perspective on Vince Carter totally changed after he so blatantly quit on Toronto. It wasn't as clear to me that Roger was dogging it for Boston or just got out of shape and was not able to perform at that high a level and fixed those things when he went to Toronto. Neither are admirable of course....
Roger being Roger...funny how life tends to work in cycles...

Well Pete never admitted he had a problem (until recently) and it's hard to rehab a guy who refuses to admit there's an issue. Not to mention there are rumblings about Pete's gambling habits that go back into the early '70s. The commish office investigated Pete at one point (maybe '73 when he won the MVP) so it's less than clear that a helping hand wasn't offered, but Pete refused.
The case with most addicts, certainly.

But the major difference in the sins is there's a posting in every MLB dugout/clubhouse that says "Thou shall not bet on baseball" and Pete violated that sacred rule. There is no analogous "Thou shall not be a drunk or on Cocaine" sanctum that Howe violated. Perhaps that's not just, but it's the way it is...
Howe's (amongst many, many others) violations transcended MLB to the heart of the US Legal system. Cocaine was just as illegal in the 80s as today, no? There is no doubt gambling on baseball is a sensitive subject in baseball-as any student of the game will concede-Pete's biggest mistake was forgetting this as well as running risk with his legacy-something he was keenly aware of I think you'd agree-this above all else, is a sign of a larger addictive problem.

You mean like Canseco & Ken Caminiti did? And some other lesser players have come forward and dealt with it - the former Expo who's now a sports talk host and was on the list did - blankin' on a name. Henry Rodriguez maybe? But you're right that no HOF candidates have admitted anything as they have a vested interest in not, i.e. their HOF candidacy.
...like their legacy in the game? Funny how self-interest is 'okay' for them but not certain others...:hmmm:

It's true - it's not definitive that Rose's actions did alter a single game. 'Course they may very well have. I'll also point out that as soon as the Reds ridded themselves of Rose, they won the World Series. Coincidence? Perhaps. Maybe Rose just was a bad manager, but maybe...
Chop Block, offense, 15 yards! Cheap shot.

It affects the integrity, but it's an odd effect - it's guys trying more to win while Rose's potential transgressions result in the opposite.
Try as I might, I'll never believe Pete Rose, Pete Rose contrived to lose at anything...

It's a fine line to me that we condone those that work out more and eat right to perform at a higher level, but those that cross an imaginary chemical line to improve their performance are unethical cheaters.
I find that hard to believe from you. "_Imaginary_ chemical _line_"??? The benefits you gain from PEDs are increases in physical performance, strength and stamina over what you'd typically be capable otherwise. It's one thing the IOC got right years ago...baseball's disgraceful neglect is not tacit approval.

And it also begs the question of where do you hold Bonds if 75% of the league was also juicing? Was he just leveling the playing field between himself and the majority of the league?
Uh, just as guilty as the rest? I take that back, more than the rest. Skinny and lean Barry was a special player, potentially historically great on a Willie Mays, Joe Dimaggio level...without PEDs...now, ???

So far Pete's gotten the same treatment as the PEDs guys.
Pete Rose has always been a polarising man: you either love him, or hate him, very little middle ground. His gambling didn't help him get 4200+ hits...

And as I noted earlier, there's a pretty good case to be made that Pete was betting on games he played in too. After all he was a player manager until '86. I'd bet on Pete having gambled on baseball as a player too. 'Course that aspect hasn't been proven
Hearsay. Circumstantial. Speculation. All legal terms and equally applicable to that postulation. It kind of feels like dumping on the poor kid on the bottom of the pile...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been a little surprised your beloved Yanks haven't panicked and tossed big $ at Barry to come in and DH. 'Course that would force Giambi to field, well try at least...

They're saving their money for Manny...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it only me, or is anyone else sick of these prima donnas only playing around playoff time? Either play the entire year or not at all... (EXC: injuries)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howe's (amongst many, many others) violations transcended MLB to the heart of the US Legal system. Cocaine was just as illegal in the 80s as today, no?
As is betting with a bookie, not to mention betting on a game you're involved in. Rose is just as guilty of violating the law as Howe for his foibles. Did Howe ever actually get arrested? I honestly don't know - he was suspended by baseball 7 times, including once for life (overturned 2 years later). Rose of course has done time for tax evasion. You realize Steve Howe is dead? I didn't. Auto accident with some traces of Meth in his system at 48. And of course, Howe at least admitted he had a problem, something Pete never really has. Heck, Pete continued to go to the track religiously after getting thrown out of baseball for gambling!

Chop Block, offense, 15 yards! Cheap shot.
It needed to be said. As a Reds fan it was somewhat of a mystery as to how that collection of talent was ALWAYS 2nd during Pete's tenure. Quite frustrating. I'm willing to concede it's more likely he was a bad manager than dumping games due to his gambling, but the small probability of the latter is poisoning in my view.

Try as I might, I'll never believe Pete Rose, Pete Rose contrived to lose at anything...
You are banking on the character of a guy that's now admitted to lying for what 15 years about gambling on baseball? While I agree, it's somewhat unlikely, if he got in deep enough with the gamblers...

I find that hard to believe from you. "_Imaginary_ chemical _line_"??? The benefits you gain from PEDs are increases in physical performance, strength and stamina over what you'd typically be capable otherwise. It's one thing the IOC got right years ago...baseball's disgraceful neglect is not tacit approval.
I'm not condoning it - I agree it's unethical & the real crime is the potential to drive others to use, and risk their health, in order to compete with the juicers. But I do see the irony that taking a certain substance to improve performance is verboten while working out to improve your game is condoned & applauded. There's a fine line there & it's not a shock lots of folks have crossed it over the years...

Uh, just as guilty as the rest? I take that back, more than the rest. Skinny and lean Barry was a special player, potentially historically great on a Willie Mays, Joe Dimaggio level...without PEDs...now, ???
To be honest I think what drove Barry to PEDs was MLB ignoring their abuse and openly embracing the McGwire/Sosa HR race and shunning Barry. At that point Barry said "OK - I'll show you what a REAL player can do on this stuff" and the rest is history. He certainly succumbed to the peer pressure, but it's somewhat understandable in retrospect. And Barry was still a legendary player prior to the PEDs - that didn't change. He can just go down in the Ty Cobb character class for great players...

Pete Rose has always been a polarising man: you either love him, or hate him, very little middle ground. His gambling didn't help him get 4200+ hits...
Although filling out the lineup card those last few years certainly didn't hurt! :D

Hearsay. Circumstantial. Speculation. All legal terms and equally applicable to that postulation. It kind of feels like dumping on the poor kid on the bottom of the pile...
Hey, if you want to defend Pete on the "he only violated baseball's most sacred rule as a manager, not as a player" card, I think it's relevant to point out there were suspicions of him as a player too. Nothing proven, but where there's smoke...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it only me, or is anyone else sick of these prima donnas only playing around playoff time? Either play the entire year or not at all... (EXC: injuries)
Pete never took days off... :laugh:

Although as a kid I did get to see the game Pete didn't play in between his 700+ consecutive games played streak and a 600+ streak prior. Must have been in '78...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given Barry'd be a one year deal & what they're charging for tix at their new digs next year, the one thing I'm sure of is the Yanks can afford both w/o saving their pennies...

Be interesting if Manny ends up in pinstripes finally. In a lot of ways I think the last thing they need is another aging superstar that can't field...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Be interesting if Manny ends up in pinstripes finally. In a lot of ways I think the last thing they need is another aging superstar that can't field...
(I'll respond to the "Pete Thread later, I should get to work...)

The chance to stick it to Boston, bring back a hometown kid...I'm thinking the $$$$ NY will likely throw in front of Manny/Boras will be too much to pass up. If it happens, how many times do the Sox plunk Manny??

...<aside> nice to see Manny cut his hair like he 'promised' Torre, eh?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Collusion by the league :(

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Given Barry'd be a one year deal & what they're charging for tix at their new digs next year, the one thing I'm sure of is the Yanks can afford both w/o saving their pennies...

The chance to stick it to Boston, bring back a hometown kid...I'm thinking the $$$$ NY will likely throw in front of Manny/Boras will be too much to pass up. If it happens, how many times do the Sox plunk Manny??
Good God, I hope not. Given that he's closing in on 40, declining hitting skills (I know he's hitting now but overall), historically bad fielding (even with a small LF in Boston), and horrible attitude, they are almost guaranteed to get him. :(

...<aside> nice to see Manny cut his hair like he 'promised' Torre, eh?
Last night he was nowhere to be found when the Dodgers took the field in the 9th. Eventually he took the field with a new glove and his jersey half unbuttoned. I wonder how long Torre allows him to act like this, uncut hair and open jersey, despite team rules? Maybe as long as he is hitting? :kotz:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
To be honest I think what drove Barry to PEDs was MLB ignoring their abuse and openly embracing the McGwire/Sosa HR race and shunning Barry. At that point Barry said "OK - I'll show you what a REAL player can do on this stuff" and the rest is history. He certainly succumbed to the peer pressure, but it's somewhat understandable in retrospect. And Barry was still a legendary player prior to the PEDs - that didn't change. He can just go down in the Ty Cobb character class for great players...
Exactly! :clap:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Course the real kicker is the Yanks throwing big $ at Manny as he ages and is horrible defensively is the biggest favor they could do the BoSox. Just think if they took that $20M (or whatever Manny'll get this go round) and spent it intelligently? That's what's scary...

'Course I'm hoping Hank is like George was in the '80s throwing around big bank to win exactly nothing providing hope to the rest of the American League...