What other naval campaigns would you like to see using the Distant Guns! engine?

jethro

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Some Italian cruisers have been hit while in the port by American strategic bombers, don't remember BBs though.

...and "maiali" are even smaller than "stringbags" if i remember correctly :smoke:

Regards
J

Daedalus

Reaction score
Commodore Rob said:
Erm the Swordfish at Taranto were not big bombers
Yep you are right. I was thinking of the Fleet that was tied up in the docks and the attacks that came I think a year or so later. And did they not raise the Battle ships that where sunk? Not sure , I will have to go back and read up on this as it has been a little time sense I have read about this. Hmm

Zouave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to see the the next installment be WWI in the Med and Black Sea.

And FYI for those who were posting above about the naval battles between Austrians and Italians in 1866, Against the Odds magazine has the following entry in its "In the Pipeline" section:

THERE MUST BE A VICTORY
Paul Rohrbaugh takes gamers to the Adriatic to cover the naval campaign fought between the Austrian and Italian fleets during the 1866 Risorgimento. Both nations put to sea with large numbers of ironclad warships, and how these were fought influenced the war's outcome and naval design for the next half-century. Large 5/8" counters (representing individual ships), an area map for the campaign game with six geomorphic hex maps to fight-out the ship vs. ship battles.

No date yet for when this will come out. The next game to be published in the magazinbe is on Leyte Gulf. Check out http://www.atomagazine.com for more details.

jethro

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks for the hint Zouave, interesting!

A little correction to my report on Lissa battle, the Italian wooden ships were led by Admiral Albini, as Admiral Vacca led the first ironclad division in the Italian battle line.

Cheers
J

Spharv2

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't mind seeing some hypothetical naval encounters. An English/French fight in the Med in the pre-dreadnought era, or something along those lines. WWI battles would be interesting too, but I'm starting to really like some of these pre-dreadnought designs. :)

jethro

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi Hinchinbrooke, great job! A "Conte di Cavour" class BB IIRC... I know very well your skills, from SFP1 forum; is DG moddable? It would be great to see some of your models here!

Regards
J

Rickusty

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly

Hello,
I am new to this forum, and I just discovered this game some days ago while "navigating" in the 'net.
I downloaded the demo and it's wonderful. I have waited for a long time for a complete naval simulation to hit the market and the historical period is very fascinating and interesting.

I really think I am going to buy the game in the next week.

Well, regarding the topic of this thread, I would really "love" to see a WW1 Adriatic campaign, as this has been a "forgotten front" and there are many possibilities to create "what if" scenarios.

In a second place , a WW2 Mediterranean game would still be interesting: at the initial stages of the war, few British units had the radar and there were still battles fought using "old school" optical gadgets as in the "Battle of Punta Stilo" or "Battle of Capo Spada".

There is a good site about the Regia Marina at http://www.regiamarina.net

Rick

p.s. "Hinchinbrooke", the Conte di Cavour looks brilliant!

Vigilante

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@ Hitchenbrooke - is that a screenshot of a game? Looks fantastic. The RA made them pretty. :)

Hinchinbrooke

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes, that's the rebuilt Italian battleship Conte di Cavour in Strike Fighters Project 1 (which is easily moddable............ although naval action leaves a lot to be desired).

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
France Vs Italy in 1914

Spharv2 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some hypothetical naval encounters. An English/French fight in the Med in the pre-dreadnought era, or something along those lines. WWI battles would be interesting too, but I'm starting to really like some of these pre-dreadnought designs. :)
The French super-pre-dreadnoughts and others are pretty nutty designs. It would be interesting to pit them against the Italians and Austrians -- which would have happened if the Italians had not switched sides at the beginning of WWI.

Strategically it would be pretty wild too....

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TV-guided Bombs

jethro said:
Some Italian cruisers have been hit while in the port by American strategic bombers, don't remember BBs though.

...and "maiali" are even smaller than "stringbags" if i remember correctly :smoke:

Regards
J
The Roma was sunk by a TV-Guided German bomb when it was on its way to surrender to the Allies in 1943. Does that count?

Sneer

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Adriatic/Baltic to me from reasons already posted
points in campaign for naval bombardment support mission / destroying coastal shipping / blockade running

Rhetor

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Sneer said:
Adriatic/Baltic to me from reasons already posted
points in campaign for naval bombardment support mission / destroying coastal shipping / blockade running
Well, there's another Pole on the forum. Witam!

PS. Wow, it's my post no 100 as well :)

Sneer

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
witam

I will try to put my 2 cents about this game and commit myself in community but DG is currently my third so important game and I need to divide time between them :)

jethro

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi Daniel, ...yes and no...;)

Yes, BB Roma (third of the "Littorio" class) was sunk while sailing to reach Allied ports by German radio-guided bombs (not tv-guided) FX-1400 "FritzX", dropped by Do-217 tactical bombers.

So it is a tactical aeronaval action in open sea...

Cheers
J

Last edited: