West Coast Melee IX AAR

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is my AAR from West Coast Melee this past weekend.

I had packed the car up the night before with all of my kit and several cases of beer, soda and bottled water, so after ducking out of work early for once, I arrived about 3:00 for the Thursday Recon. Being that I was bringing all of the liquid refreshments my arrival was well received. After getting everything unloaded and the drinks iced down, I spent some time saying hello to the other attendees and chatting ASL and what not with friends. I decided to save a couple Wife Points and head home relatively early on Thursday night, as I would not be back home again until Sunday night.

On Friday morning I settled in to what has become my WCM tradition…a first round game against my good friend Paul Simonsen. I had spent the week prior to WCM preparing playtest Communist Chinese counters for use in the Korea ASL project and paul was kind enough to play one of these with me. (I played several playtest scenarios over the weekend, so I will be intentionally vague about the details of those scenarios.) The scenario features a group of Marines defending a hill top against a massive Chinese night assault (44 squads!!!). The flow of the game saw the Chinese horde smash like a wave into the hill and up the slope…crashing over the crest in some places, Marines holding back the assault in some areas like a breakwater, Chinese following the “path of least resistance” and flowing around and even behind the hill. The Chinese were able to take one of the two peaks, but the other peak managed to hold on and whittle the attackers down to the point that they just couldn’t quite push the Marines out of the last few defensive positions…something in the neighborhood of 35 Chinese squads dead when the game ended…brutal. A very productive playtest with good notes taken for the scenario and KASL rules.

Long-time MIA player Bruce Kirkaldy has recently re-emerged upon the ASL scene. Bruce is an old-time So-Cal ASLer that many of us are very happy to have back with us. Bruce and I wanted to play against each other, and having no preference (or time before WCM to prepare a “want-to-play” list) I told Bruce to select a scenario…so Bruce picked out “Bread Factory #2” and we rolled for sides, which found me as the attacking Germans. The German 9-1 failed to go Berserk the entire game, which was a huge help to the Germans, by allowing him to help Encircle the bread factory buildings through the course of the game. I was very lucky in my dice rolls and was able to get some key breaks on the Russians (as well as passing some 1MC/2MC rolls) that allowed me to get into the buildings and push him back, even eliminating several Russian brokies in a cellar for Failure to Rout. This opened an opportunity for the Germans to rush into the recently captured buildings, man the captured MGs and hold off the Russian reinforcements.

On Saturday morning I paired up with Rich Domovic and we agreed to play one of the Melee Pack III playtest scenarios. The scenario we played featured the Britts holding off a Japanese attack aimed at capturing a village to the rear of the Britt front line. After dicing for sides it was determind that Rich would defend as the Britts and I would be the attacking Japanese. Rich fought an excellent running battle while delaying the Japanese as he fell back on the village. I was very aggressive with my assault from the beginning, wanting to keep Rich back on his heels and not wanting to allow him to have time to fall back and set up a proper defense. By keeping close on his heels I was able to keep pushing him back at the pace I needed. Rich got some good shots in on me and kept striping my squads, and my shots in return were mostly ineffective…however, in a diversion from my normally horrid luck with CC, the Japanese were doing well and killing or tying up Britts in Melee. The end of the game saw some key breaks on the Britts that allowed the Japanese to just barely take the last remaining hut on the last turn after breaking the last remaining Britt in Prep Fire. Rich has been a regular the last few years at WCM as he spends the winters in SoCal, but this was my first opportunity to play against him…and very glad that I did as Rich is a very good player, a great guy and a lot of fun to sit across the table from.

Next I was paired with David Meyers and we selected SP18 "An Arm and a Leg", and dicing for sides I ended up with the defending Germans. The game started out fairly well for my Germans. I was able to get some breaks on the Americans and survived some pretty nasty point blank shots. At the end of Turn 3, about 75% of the American force was broken...I was starting to think that I might just be able to hold out. However, some excellent rally dice rolls from David and he had most of the Americans back in the game. The Germans were a house of cards ready to collapse after the American sniper took out the *only* German leader in Turn 1. Surprisingly, the German troops put up a spirited defense for a couple turns...but it was only a matter of time before the Germans inevitably began to break, and without a leader, once they broke they were out for good. I lost the scenario, but did take some satisfaction in killing the ASL representation of future-Senator Daniel Inoye of Hawaii in CC.

For the next game I had arranged to play against my good friend and nemesis Matt Cicero. In over 6 years of games I have yet to beat Matt in a game…I’ve come very close, frustratingly close, several times but have always fallen short of the victory, earning me the nickname of “Matt’s Bitch”. Matt has had a lot of recent turmoil in his life, to include a new baby just a couple weeks ago, and he wanted to play something fun. We have both been wanting to try out the “Oktobermessed” Zombie rules for ASL and Matt selected one for us to play. After a brief read of the rules, and many calls for “BRAINS!!!” we were ready to go. Initially Matt was having a hard time groking the scenario and could not figure out what to do as the Human player, but we both quickly spotted a viable tactic that seemed fool-proof for the Humans. Unfortunately for me, Matt and I had discovered several fatal flaws in the designed rules for these scenarios and he applied the “correct” tactics for the Humans and was able to completely annihilate (“vaporize” is a more accurate description) the entire Zombie OB without suffering a single Human casualty or Infection. As the Zombie player I was only able to make two single CCV attacks against the LAV-25, but needing a “2” I was not able to do it (rolled a “3” on one of them though).

Being disappointed with the scenario just played we decided to give it another try. This time we selected the scenario featuring the un-armed civilians fleeing from the K-Mart. Again, exploiting the fatal flaws in the rules and applying the “correct” tactics for the Humans, Matt again completely obliterated the entire Zombie OB. This time, I got to spend the entire game taking 3MCs and 4MCs (when the results weren’t outright KIAs) and watching every Zombie unit being obliterated by 30-3 and 36-3 attacks and 12-2 and 16-2 residual attacks. I was severely disappointed in this scenario pack. I understand that it is intended in a humorous veign, but I was really looking forward to playing some of the scenarios and had such high hopes for it…very disappointed that it’s just not a game for the Zombie player. With a few changes, these scenarios could be an absolute blast to play…perhaps we will see a V.2 of the Zombie rules?

At midnight on Saturday is the traditional “Heroes” game and I made sure to get in on the insanity. This years game featured Jeeps as some of the random items scattered around the boards…very funny watching Jeep-Banzai attacks with the ensuing 1-1 overruns causing much laughter. The funniest part of all was having one of the players video-taping the action (including dice rolls) when some of the guys and ladies from a wedding reception wandered in, drawn by the loud shouts and laughter…the look on the girl's faces when they realized it was a room full of overweight middle-aged gamers filming dice rolls was priceless…one of the girls let out an audible groan of displeasure and they all beat a hasty retreat…it was over before half of the players at the table realized that there had been females in their midst.

On Sunday morning I had arranged to pair up with Australian exchange-ASLer Murray McCloskey and playtest one of his “Break Contact” scenario pack scenarios. Murray has been working in the US out of L.A. for the last 8 months or so (on a Walkabout) and has been an adopted SoCal ASLer during this time, as well as hitting many of the major North American tournaments during this time (including ASLOK and CASLO). Murray and I have become good friends during his stay here and I was sad to hear that he would be returning to the Land of Oz come Monday. Hats off to Murray for delaying his departure until *after* WCM! We played a nice scenario in which the Aussies have to assault a Bunker/Trench complex on top of a hill. The Aussies are given quite liberal smoke making capabilities, and I had relatively good success getting my initial smokes in place to start the assault. However, the observer lost contact when I attempted to begin the smoke OBA, and then was hit by the sniper and killed shortly after that. My Aussies were able to take the main portion of the complex on the front of the peak, but I rolled gusts on both of my last two turns…no smoke for the final assault, and the surviving Japanese severely mauled the Aussies trying to take the last couple of locations. I'll miss you, Mate...safe travels, no worries, and good on you...hope to see you again soon.

All in all I had a blast. As always, WCM for me is not just an opportunity to play a lot of ASL…it’s also an opportunity to hang out and have fun with some very good friends, as well as meeting new players and making new ASL friends.

Next year will mark the 10th anniversary of both the SoCal ASL Club and West Coast Melee. We are already working on plans to make sure that both of these milestones will be properly recognized (hint, hint…”special” goodies for attendees at WCM X) so make sure you plan ahead to attend next year. (We will be confirming the dates for WCM X in the next month or two and we will be sure to post the dates as soon as we have them locked down.) On a side note, I think we had about 15 people that ended up meeting the criteria and earned a free Journal 7 when it is released.

Hope to see you all next February for WCM X!!!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

Eric Morton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
West Coast Melee X

Scott's post catches the spirit of the tournament. We had a blast. I have been to all nine WCM. This was one of the most fun. I played eight scenarios over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed each one.

In addition to the main tournament, we also had three mini-tourneys. As Scott mentioned, there were many playtests of a variety of projects that are in different stages of development. Four guys brought all or portions of historic maps that they are working on. The hobby is very healthy in that regard. A lot of creative people are doing really interesting projects.

Good playing and great group of guys. If you haven't been to a West Coast Melee, try to make it next year. We guarantee you a fun time.

Eric Morton

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Melee Winners:

Herman Frettlohr - 1st place
Sheldon Ryland - 2nd place
Brandon Leisemeyer - 3rd place
Eric Morton - 4th place

The Mini Winners:
Chris Chapman - "Rolling Hot" Mini Winner
Eric Visnowski - "Melee Packed" Mini Winner

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thoroughbreds said:
Also, will the next Melee pack be out this year?
We hope so...but will stand by our "Prime Directive" of "It's Done When It's Done". :)

Many of the scenarios are close to being done, and we got some good playtests in during WCM. In addition, WCM usually seems to wake all of the players up from their ASL-hibernation during the Holidays and New Year slumps, so we should also see an increase in playtest activity. We will be sure to make the announcement here (and elsewhere) when it is ready.

That is, if we can tear players away from their AoO's long enough to playtest! :cheeky:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Thoroughbreds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Impressive

Nice job Herman..THREE years in a row. Great guy also. He beat me in the finals at WCM in 2004. I want a rematch..it was a tight game.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the AAR from our club President...gives more of the stats for attendance and events...

Gentlemen,

Well, WCM IX is over. It seems like it went by in a blur. Here’s the series replay:

Thursday:

We opened the room on schedule at 12:00 pm, and players started to arrive throughout the afternoon. By evening, we had about 15 guys, which was actually a little less than some previous years, and I’m not sure why. No matter though, there was lots of gaming going on, and the handful of copies of AOO were passed around and drooled over (which is why I laminate and lacquer everything.) Late in the evening, a good-size group of the guys settled into the hospitality suite upstairs, drinking, eating, and generally catching up with each other, talking ASL, history, current events, the usual stuff.

Friday:

The show started at 8:00 am on Friday morning, with about 35 guys present for duty by 9:00 am. Everyone started pairing up and playing, and as more guys trickled in throughout the morning, we threw them into melee, matching them up as players became available. We ended up with 43 attendees not including walk-ins and members who couldn’t stay to play but stopped in to chat and catch up. That’s about what we had at WCM VIII. The handful of copies of AOO were getting well broken in, and there was a lot of new stuff (TPP and playtest) floating around as well. Dave Nicholas had 3 “7-0 Leaders” working for most of the day. Bruce Kirkaldy wowed the crowd with his huge new Budapest project, and Rob Feinstein brought his geo-size board of part of the same action. It was very interesting to compare different treatments of the same battle. And of course there was lots more eating, drinking, catching up and socializing throughout the day and late into the evening.

Saturday:

We launched the “Hand-to-Hand” single-elimination portion of The Melee at 8:00 am, pairing the 16 players with the best records as they walked through the door. Other guys joined our “Rolling Hot” mini-tournament or matched themselves for open games, joined Don Petros’ Ponyri scenario, or played SK scenarios under Dave Nicholas’ supervision. In the early afternoon, we launched the “Melee Packed” mini-tournament that featured scenarios from our upcoming Melee Pack III. Shortly after midnight, Sheldon Ryland organized our traditional uproarious playing of “The Hero Game”. I don’t want to say we were getting a little loud, but we drew the attention of a wedding party that was celebrating at the hotel. One of their guys wandered into our room, still in his tux, and explained that he was a long-time gamer who played SL years ago. While he was chatting with us, his girlfriend appeared, loudly introduced herself, and then basically told her boyfriend to step away from the geeks and get back to the wedding. He left, but took our website address on the way out. I must say it was a first for me; I’ve never talked ASL with a guy in a tux before.

Sunday:

The championships for the Melee and two mini-tournaments started around 9:00 am, and everyone else, as usual, played open pick-up games throughout the day. We closed the shop just before 6:00 pm.

The Winners:

I want to extend my congratulations to Herman Frettlohr, who won his third WCM champion in a row. Sheldon Ryland placed second, Brandon Leisemeyer finished third and Eric Morton took the fourth place plaque. Congratulations also go to Chris Chapman, winner of the “Rolling Hot” mini-tournament, and Eric Visnowski, who won the “Melee Packed” mini-tournament.

The Club Meeting:

We held our Club’s annual meeting and election on Saturday. Since there were no nominations from the floor, I entertained a motion for a single vote to re-instate our Club’s elected Officers. The motion carried unanimously, sentencing us to yet another year of service. The meeting was opened and closed in less than 60 seconds, which I believe is a personal best. On behalf of our Officers, I want to thank the Club for their enthusiastic support even though I’m suspicious that at least a portion of that enthusiasm is rooted in the adage “better them than me”. ;)

Other Interesting Things:

Dan Plachta fired off the best one-liner I heard all weekend to Dave Nicholas; “Is that your lucky hat, or is the aluminum foil not working for you anymore?” Brandon evidently achieved what we think is a Club first; he beat 3 lawyers over the course of the weekend. Phil Seymour introduced the Club members to Fat Tire Ale, and contributed a case of said beverage for the members’ enjoyment. Speaking of beer, the Club consumed a record quantity of it this weekend, requiring Scott Thompson to make a second beer run during the weekend. Prior to WCM IX, we had seen a steady decrease in per-capita beer consumption at our events over the last two years. It’s just another one of those unexplainable occurrences evidently. Sheldon made an admirable attempt to drink his way though the stomach flu on Thursday night; alternating shooters of Pepto Bismol and rounds of beer. Paul Simonsen introduced his “dime bag” vehicular counter storage system that appears to have reduced his ASL set by at least one portage point.

Comings and Goings:

WCM IX marked the return of one of the Club’s popular, long-time members; Bruce Kirkaldy. Bruce, you’d be astonished to know how many guys came up to me over the weekend to say how good it was to have you back with us. Your enthusiasm for the Club, and ASL, are infectious. It’s great to have you back, my friend. At the same time, I’m sad to report that WCM IX also marks the departure of a member, however. Murray McClosky is returning to his native Australia this coming week. Although he has been with us less than a year, he has given our Club 100% of his effort. From volunteering to playtest scenarios to icing down beer coolers, Murray is a guy who always seems to be right where he can do the most good. Murray, good luck in Australia, and don’t be a stranger.

Lost and Found:

Every WCM seems to produce some lost and found items, and WCM IX was no exception. I found two hooded sweatshirts, both navy blue, one of which has a L.A. Rams logo on it. I also found a sheet of clear plastic that would be used on top of boards or a HASL map. All three items were found in the same general area; about halfway down the room on the left side.

Thank You:

WCM IX could not be what it was without a lot of guys doing a lot of different things, often without being asked. Matt Cicero, thanks for handling the money, printing the promo’s, flyers, registration packs, 7-0 and Melee packs, as well as selling the Club merchandise and chatting up visitors. That’s a lot of work for someone with a business to run, a flooded house, a new baby and in-laws visiting from Germany, among other distractions. Paul Simonsen, thanks for handling all the computer inputting and tracking the win-loss record of each attendee with your usual efficiency. Rob Feinstein, thanks once again for the great job on the shirt design, and getting them printed and delivered. Outstanding job, as usual. Thanks also go to Scott Thompson, buying the drinks for the hospitality suite and helping me set up, and getting all the printed material to the event. Scott, along with Murray McClosky, helped me keep the hospitality suite in order throughout the weekend, and served as the clean-up crew on Sunday morning. Dave Nicholas, thanks for working with the “7-0 Leaders” again. I think your contribution is one of the least noticed and most important to the long-time health of our Club. Thanks also for handling the plaques. Matt Romey, thanks for running the “Melee Packed” mini and tracking the results of playtest games. Chas Argent, I was sorry you couldn’t make it this year; I know you’ve been looking forward to it since ASLOK. Thank you for keeping the other e-groups lists informed, and promoting the event in the rest of the ASL world. Fred Timm, thanks for rounding up the scenario packs we gave away for prizes without even being asked. Fred is another guy who does a lot of things without recognition, most notably stopping to answer rules questions for anyone who asks, regardless of how involved he is in a game. Thanks also to Sheldon Ryland for organizing the Hero Game on Saturday night and otherwise doing the hospitality thing, even while being severely under the weather for most of the weekend.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who came and supported the event. My list of “thank you’s” can’t reflect the long list of members who helped out in small ways throughout the weekend, particularly those who did Melee Pack III playtest games. On a personal note, it was great to see everyone and catch up, and in some cases even get a game in. I am also pleased to say that I received not one complaint from the attendees with regard to the facility or the hotel (or vice-versa). Each year I am increasing convinced at the wisdom of moving the event to Crowne Plaza. I had a long chat with Crowne’s Catering Manager on Thursday afternoon. We have developed a true “win-win” relationship with the hotel, and they have made every effort to show their appreciation of our business by providing us with the best possible service at the lowest possible cost.

Coming Events:

Our next event will be our annual Cinco De Gringo Mexican Barbecue in May. Watch this space for more info that. Also, the Club Officers are already at work on WCM X. We want to make next year’s event even better that WCM IX, with some new features to recognize the Club’s 10th anniversary.

Best Regards,

Jim Aikens,

President, SoCalASL

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zombie ASL

Hi Scott! I'm the Zombie designer and am curious as to the "fatal flaws" in the rules you found that allowed the human player to win so easilly. I shepherded several first time players through their games at ASLOK, and you're right, the rules as written are difficult to "Grok". People were playing incorrectly because they kept slipping back into official ASL rules. The Zombie player usually won in the scenarios I helped with. I am re-writting the rules to make them easier to understand. Sorry you didn't have more fun. What were the problems you had?:)

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glennbo said:
Hi Scott! I'm the Zombie designer and am curious as to the "fatal flaws" in the rules you found that allowed the human player to win so easilly. I shepherded several first time players through their games at ASLOK, and you're right, the rules as written are difficult to "Grok". People were playing incorrectly because they kept slipping back into official ASL rules. The Zombie player usually won in the scenarios I helped with. I am re-writting the rules to make them easier to understand. Sorry you didn't have more fun. What were the problems you had?:)
Hi Glenn

The main problem was in the movement of the Zombies...don't have the rules with me at the moment, but basically it was a problem with their movement points available and the mechanics of their being considered Berserk (which forbids bypass). Couple that with the Human tactic of massing all of their units (stacking 3 squad equivalents in one hex), and the use of the Human Hero's -1 and the Police/National Guard 9-1, they could pour out 30-3 and 36-3 shots in the adjacent open ground hexes...lots of KIAs, K/'s, 4MCs & 3MCs...follow on Zombies then have to go through 12-2 and 16-2 residual attacks, then face the SFF in hex shots from the Humans with attacks at 20-3 and higher (if the Human units are also in OG hexes), which again leaves residual in their hex. Pretty tough on the Zombie player to get through all that.

Like I said before...I love the concept and fun of the Zombie rules...just didn't have any fun playing the Zombies as we interpreted and applied the rules. If I missed something in the rules, please let me know...I'm certainly willing to give it another go.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
King Scott said:
Like I said before...I love the concept and fun of the Zombie rules...just didn't have any fun playing the Zombies as we interpreted and applied the rules. If I missed something in the rules, please let me know...I'm certainly willing to give it another go.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been wracking my BBRRAAAIIINNS trying to figure out what went wrong. I'm impressed that you understood the proper way to use the humans: huge kill stacks in open ground....don't jump on Zombies and fight them in CC, let them come to you. And staying in open ground (that takes guts)! I'm wondering if you used the Zombies correctly. Did you understand that the 2-4-8 is a FULL squad, and that it's failure of a morale check only replaces it with a 1-3-8 that keeps on coming? Did you understand that, although berserk, the Zombies may move their units one at a time. For example, in "Zombie Slaughterfest" the largest human kill stack is only 12 FP, since different human units may not form fire groups with each other (I wonder if your huge 36-3 attacks were because you combined different human units in the same attack). Assume you have this 12 FP stack in an intersection for maximum effect, and there are five or six Zombie squads within movement range of you. The first one moves adjacent. That's 24-3 which kills it (leaving 12 residual). The next Zombie squad moves into a different adjacent hex, and we'll be generous and assume that some other human unit supports you and hits it with 16-3 which kills this second Zombie (leaving 8 residual) the third Zombie lurches into your 12 residual and we'll assume it fails a MC3 and is now a Zombie HS that KEEPS ON COMING into your hex where you hit it with Subsequent FF (tripled) for 16-3 which kills it (leaving 8 residual in your hex) You still have three more Zombie squads coming at you and you don't want to Final PF because your moral is six or seven and if you break you will convert to Zombies. So here's what (usually) happens: the fourth Zombie squad takes the 12 residual, and breaks to a HS, it lurches into your hex where survives the 8 residual and now you are screwed because you now have to take a MC because of FPF. Plus there are STILL TWO MORE ZOMBIE SQUADS COMING. I'll be even more generous and assume that only one of these makes it into your hex, and you survive your FPF MC (note: Zombie rules state that human units only have to take ONE FPF MC). They will now attack you in Hand to Hand at 1 to 4. Let's assume they don't kill you and you kill them. They are almost certain to cause infection in one or more of your human units. The example I've just provided is the BEST RESULT the human can hope for in that one Zombie player turn (I even provided for only a two hex Zombie attack front). When you consider that in "Zombie Slaughterfest" there are TWENTY NINE ZOMBIE SQUADS on that tiny map (including a batch that sets up HIP), it gets difficult for the human player. I do agree that if the human player plays a smart game (which you clearly did) they can win...even easily sometimes. But at ASLOK the two games I "refereed" were distinguished by both players getting the rules wrong, and when they finally began playing correctly the human player lost both times. The rules as I've written them are garbbled and need to be re-written in a more understandable way because if intelligent ASL players consistantly get these two pages wrong something's amiss.:)

Last edited: