War of the Worlds: My Thoughts no spoils.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked it, of course my girl friend flayed my arm in the process.

I did enjoy watching the last part of the movie when

SPOILER

When they rocket the tripod and the soldier walks up to the Martain hanging out of the machine and says "Clear!"

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it is the truth isn't it? Eventually every occupation in history has fallen down or been broken... If there is one that hasn't I'd like to know... It'd be one of those fun facts for everyone. :D

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FallenAngelASB said:
Would Europeans occupying Native American lands count?
Yes it would. I guess its not fully occupation... It was more of making the Native Americans quit their way of life and pick up move... Not the way to conduct business with others...

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Awesome film, spectacular film, more than I was hoping for.

Best film of the genre (aliens beating up humanity) that I have ever watched.

Reduces films like Independence Day to worthless garbage.
Hollywood actually didn't screw up a good story with a cheesy adaption for once, I am shocked.

Warning, this film is entirely violent, entirely horrific and not to be watched by children (unless you actually enjoy dealing with nightmares).

There is no warm fuzzy ending.
We win like in the book, but that's about the size of the happy happy part. The rest is about humanity being systematically obliterated.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw this today also.

WOW! Very impressed.

There was also some very disturbing stuff about human behavior during a crisis.

On top of that, the first preview trailer was for KING KONG. Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaawwww!!!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!!

:clap:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
There is no warm fuzzy ending.
We win like in the book, but that's about the size of the happy happy part. The rest is about humanity being systematically obliterated.

Are you kidding me? How horribly unbelievable certain things at the end were? Give me a break. :nuts:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Overseer said:
Are you kidding me? How horribly unbelievable certain things at the end were? Give me a break. :nuts:

Your not talking about the way the aliens are 'defeated' are you? :hmmm:

SPOILER (for those who have no idea about the actual story)

"...slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things upon the Earth. Bacteria. Minute, invisible, bacteria."

-quoted from "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of "The War of the World's" (Good old Richard Burton in the lead role)

Yes, there were a couple of holes in this screen rendition (not to be discussed here,...yet) but it was better than uploading some damn virus into the mother ship. I would think the expanded DVD version will fill a few gaps. On the whole (and quite rightly) we are simply powerless in the face an invasion by an advanced spacefaring civilization. An Abrams/Apache/F-15 are mere 'bows and arrows against the lightening'. :dead:

I, for one, am so very glad they didn't mess too much with the main theme of the story.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
Your not talking about the way the aliens are 'defeated' are you? :hmmm:
No. I'm talking about:

SPOILERS
How the heck did that kid survive AND make it to Boston at the row of houses that are in amazingly good condition, and then for them to actually find the rest of the family, walking out of the house like they've been sitting around inside during a hard rainstorm? Way to conveniently cutesy wrap up.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Overseer said:
Yeah, like "No occupation has ever succeeded" or whatever Robbins said, his whole speech basically.

Robbins character is actually a pretty good adaptation of the earlier 'artilleryman'. Granted the 'Artilleryman' is a little more upbeat in his fantasy of rebuilding human civilization 'underground' in the sewer and tunnels under British cities. Robbins "Ambulanceman" is merely updated, Americanized and given a good dose of PTSD. After all, he did lose 'everyone' as well as watching the planet and human civilization get crushed. He uses modern terms like 'occcupation', 'resistance', 'underground', etc. in their proper context.

I think looking for 'politics' in this one is stretching a little and maybe leaning a bit into a 'conspiracy theory' :cheeky:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
Robbins character is actually a pretty good adaptation of the earlier 'artilleryman'. Granted the 'Artilleryman' is a little more upbeat in his fantasy of rebuilding human civilization 'underground' in the sewer and tunnels under British cities. Robbins "Ambulanceman" is merely updated, Americanized and given a good dose of PTSD. After all, he did lose 'everyone' as well as watching the planet and human civilization get crushed. He uses modern terms like 'occcupation', 'resistance', 'underground', etc. in their proper context.

I think looking for 'politics' in this one is stretching a little and maybe leaning a bit into a 'conspiracy theory' :cheeky:
Well that's an example of what a lot of people noticed and were referring to in the reviews that I previously mentioned. I'm not disputing that it actually fits well with the source material.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Overseer said:
No. I'm talking about: ...Way too conveniently cutesy wrap up.
Ah,...I'm with ya there, actually. Yet I don't think that is enough to wash out the whole movie. Your are right though, the family should have suffered casualties and the street could have been a bit more mussed up.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
Ah,...I'm with ya there, actually. Yet I don't think that is enough to wash out the whole movie. Your are right though, the family should have suffered casualties and the street could have been a bit more mussed up.
To me it's not so much that the movie was bad (although I thought the aliens looked more goofy than anything else) but that the movie just didn't do anything amazing to me, and then top that off with a really really really sappy ending. It's just another summer blockbuster ruining of good material.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Overseer said:
...(although I thought the aliens looked more goofy than anything else) but that the movie just didn't do anything amazing to me, and then top that off with a really really really sappy ending.
So,...we won't put you down for a pre-order of the "Director's Cut" then :laugh:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
So,...we won't put you down for a pre-order of the "Director's Cut" then :laugh:
Hahaha definitely not, I'll be spending my money on George A Romero's "Land of the Dead" :p:laugh:

freightshaker

Reaction score
Overseer said:
No. I'm talking about:

SPOILERS
How the heck did that kid survive AND make it to Boston at the row of houses that are in amazingly good condition, and then for them to actually find the rest of the family, walking out of the house like they've been sitting around inside during a hard rainstorm? Way to conveniently cutesy wrap up.
Funny, that's almost a direct quote from what my wife said as we were leaving the theater. :)

thomas.tmcc

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
yeah i saw it last night here in the uk ,the ending i would agree it was too conveniently wrapped up and the house intacted etc ,but not bad film .

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BarcelonaBlom said:
Well it is the truth isn't it? Eventually every occupation in history has fallen down or been broken... If there is one that hasn't I'd like to know... It'd be one of those fun facts for everyone. :D
As much as it pains me to say this - the Norman occupation of Britain was 100% successful. They never left. We just ended up merged together so you couldn't tell who was who any more.

Dr. S.