Virtual supply

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It's not the same. Virtual Supply Trucks bases supply availability on the distance a supply truck would have to travel (hence "virtual", there a no trucks actually in the game) from the supply source to the map hex. Hence it takes more account of actual supply lines and obstacles to them than "normal" supply.

Explicit Supply puts supply trucks and depots actually on the map; the trucks have to be moved manually by the player. Hence it gives him more control of supply distribution. On the downside, it means one can easily exhaust supply in a sector of the map and have problems finding new supply trucks to bring up.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not the same. Virtual Supply Trucks bases supply availability on the distance a supply truck would have to travel (hence "virtual", there a no trucks actually in the game) from the supply source to the map hex. Hence it takes more account of actual supply lines and obstacles to them than "normal" supply.

Explicit Supply puts supply trucks and depots actually on the map; the trucks have to be moved manually by the player. Hence it gives him more control of supply distribution. On the downside, it means one can easily exhaust supply in a sector of the map and have problems finding new supply trucks to bring up.

Ah hah. Then is it worth the hassel? I mean does it make the game more enjoyable in relation to the moving the extra number of units around?

FastPhil

Reaction score
Ah hah. Then is it worth the hassel? I mean does it make the game more enjoyable in relation to the moving the extra number of units around?
Nobody can really answer that question for you. I prefer playing with all historical options and Explcit Supply on. However, not all games/scenarios offer this and not all opponents want it. where possible in EA42 or T41 I prefer explicit. some don't like the extra 'hassle'. But it is strictly a personal preference.:)

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nobody can really answer that question for you. I prefer playing with all historical options and Explcit Supply on. However, not all games/scenarios offer this and not all opponents want it. where possible in EA42 or T41 I prefer explicit. some don't like the extra 'hassle'. But it is strictly a personal preference.:)
Does using Explicit supply change the way the game plays? The reason I ask is that I just got El Al and it feel like somehting is missing with the standard supply rules in the larger scenarios.

FastPhil

Reaction score
Does using Explicit supply change the way the game plays? The reason I ask is that I just got El Al and it feel like somehting is missing with the standard supply rules in the larger scenarios.
Big time. Start overrunning the enemies supply units and see how soon his offence peters out. Gives something for large number of AC units-get behind enemy lines and search and destroy. EA and T41 I think should be played only with weak ZOC. JMHO:D

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have to give the option a try.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I usually play with VST now. I was a fan of Explicit Supply for a while, coming from the 18th/19th century games where I was used to moving lots of wagons anyway. But actually I find VST charming. It takes realistic account of supply lines without bothering me with moving all the lorries. "Cutting" the enemy supply lines can be done with VST all the same. "Raiding" however, in a really fluid situation, requires Explicit Supply, i.e. trucks or depots to take.

As already mentioned, not all scenarios have ES. Only the ones with the "s" in the scenario name (I believe that's so in all games in the series, but I am not 100% sure).

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I usually play with VST now. I was a fan of Explicit Supply for a while, coming from the 18th/19th century games where I was used to moving lots of wagons anyway. But actually I find VST charming. It takes realistic account of supply lines without bothering me with moving all the lorries. "Cutting" the enemy supply lines can be done with VST all the same. "Raiding" however, in a really fluid situation, requires Explicit Supply, i.e. trucks or depots to take.

As already mentioned, not all scenarios have ES. Only the ones with the "s" in the scenario name (I believe that's so in all games in the series, but I am not 100% sure).

That is correct - only scns with a *s* in the number has Exp Supply. There are a few titles where this really fits - The Campaigns in Market Garden '44 come to mind, as does the larger Alamein Campaign where the Germans are driving from Tobruk up to the First Battle of Alamein. But even in this game there are plenty of Scns where Exp Supply doesn't really fit.

We test most games almost exclusively using VST Supply.

Glenn

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Guys, can someone explain please the general mechanics of supply in Pz Campaigns in more detail? It was an interesting overview of the 2 different types of supply options you just gave, but can someone actually elaborate a little on how the supply, supply lines, amount of supply available is calculated?

Also, and regarding replacements?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don't think anyone could explain it better than it is explained in the manual (user.hlp) ... which I therefore suggest to read. :shy:

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
I don't think anyone could explain it better than it is explained in the manual (user.hlp) ... which I therefore suggest to read. :shy:

True. But one thing I don't understand in there is how the actual supply line works. I understand it goes from supply source down the HQ chain, but how is it affected by external factors like weather, or by distance I fail to see. I notice that units must be a certain hex distance from HQ's to take supply, does that work the same way with regards to supply sources and HQ's?

Also, I couldn't spot on the manual anything regarding replacements...

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, I couldn't spot on the manual anything regarding replacements...

I think replacements are a bit randomized based on how many losses the unit already has.
The higher the percentage of their original strength they have lost the better the chance a unit has of getting replacements. You don't get a lot of replacements per unit at once, though in some game you can get a lot of units per turn receiving them. In my Minsk campaign I regularly have 90+ German units a turn getting them. Of course I have a lot of really chewed up units so maybe that's not a good thing :).
You need to be out of the action to get replacements, no moving, firing etc. It takes a long time to get to 98-99% of your strength but you can go from 40% to 80% rather quickly.