Vasl doas not load log

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi, a very strange thing happens today. This morning i used VASL to do some log file to play PBEM and all works fine. This afternoon i try to use VASL to answer to some other vasl logs, but vasl is no more able to load the logs and crash in the attempt, my only option was to force the exit ( mac OsX). I delete the vasl.mod and download it again, same problems.
I try to restart the mac too with no effect. Vasl anyway is able to create a new game or load a saved one without prblems. Vassal 3.6.7 VASL 6.6.5
Any help is welcome
thanks Fabio

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Got report of the same thing yesterday. The player sent me his log file. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

What can you tell me about the scenario involved? Overlays? Terrain transformations? Anything special about the setup; using VASL Templates or any other tools like that?

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
it happens with all the logs i have, with historical and geo map, with overlays and not, with terrain transformation and not,some have templates some not.
Never happens a so strange thing from when i use vasl from it's 1st version

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
the same log i open this morning is no more loaded
And nothing changed in between? You didn't use any other VASL/VASSAL versions?

I just opened a log file, ran it, closed it. Opened it again, ran it. All worked fine.

I will try some others.

Strange stuff.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A possibly related thing was happening to my opponent last night. For a couple of hours he couldn't open/sync with my game. Lot's of things were tried to no avail. Then it started to work again. The only thing we didn't try was leaving the "stalled" game for five minutes to see if it came good. In each case that it stalled he quickly killed the process.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, my suspicion was that there was an internet issue. He had the same problem on two different computers.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is a bug in 6.6.5 that prevents the loading of .vsav and .vlog files which use a certain overlay congfiguration. A number of people have experienced this and I can replicate the bug. In this case, it causes a crash everytime the file is opened. There is none of the "now it works, now it doesn't" behaviour that Fabio reported. This bug is fixed in 6.6.6-beta3.

Fabio's situation seems to be a bit different. The on-and-off nature of it suggests to me something external to either VASSAL or VASL. Perhaps an internet hiccup of some sort. Very difficult to identify with precision.

@fabiofotomoto please keep us posted if this happens to you again.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In this case we were playing on board 55 and no overlays. The only thing extra aside from counters was some dotted lines (Perimeter Lines) from the Draggable Overlays window.